pakfront
Corporal

Possible to add Mud Region Bitmaps?

Fri May 29, 2009 6:25 am

If someone were to make alternate regions bitmaps for Mud (like Winter currently has), would it require an engine change to make them used by the game, or is that modable by the user?

PhilThib

Fri May 29, 2009 6:39 am

A few little engine changes, but globally the technique would be the same as that we use for winter bitmaps..the only trouble(s) are the amount of data to regenerate, for all region data files, and regions images (and for the latter its size, as you are in effect in need to double the maps graphics size).... :bonk:

Pocus

Fri May 29, 2009 4:32 pm

The naming convention for winter images being always the same, the actual filename for winter images stored in the rgn files is not used I think...

So one can imagine that the code look for Mud_MyRegionImage.bmp in case of Mud weather, that would not be too hard to plug (in the code yes).

As for the graphics, yes you would need to make them :) But memory load would not increase, as if you display Mud you don't display standard images, and images are rotated out of memory when not used (except for some ATI cards which crash after a while ;) ).

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Gray_Lensman

Sat May 30, 2009 11:24 pm

deleted

pakfront
Corporal

Sun May 31, 2009 9:24 pm

I was thinking of releasing a self contained Processing script that would generate mud versions of existing regions. So download size would be negligible, the user would just have to let the process run for a few minutes on their system.
Of course they'd have to rerun it after each patch that added or altered the Regions bitmaps and that could get confusing...

richfed

Sun May 31, 2009 11:09 pm

That would be awesome ... and re-running the script after each new patch a very small "price" to pay! Seeing the "mud" would be very helpful.
[color="DarkRed"][SIZE="2"][font="Book Antiqua"]"We've caught them napping!"[/font][/size][/color]

dooya

Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:49 pm

pakfront wrote:I was thinking of releasing a self contained Processing script that would generate mud versions of existing regions. So download size would be negligible, the user would just have to let the process run for a few minutes on their system.
Of course they'd have to rerun it after each patch that added or altered the Regions bitmaps and that could get confusing...
Automatic processing of those bitmaps sounds a bit like you are thinking of just changing some of the colors (e.g., replacing green by brown or such). If so, I guess that this could also be also done online, i.e., during the game: if there is muddy weather in a region, some colors are just replaced in copy the bitmap that is loaded into the RAM. Would such a process add significantly to the work load? :confused:
No quote - No bullshit!

pakfront
Corporal

Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:48 pm

Probably more to Pocus and crew's workload than the CPU's. ;)

Gray_Lensman

Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:02 am

deleted

pakfront
Corporal

Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:39 am

I should have mentioned that in my test scripts altering the current bitmaps it has actually worked just fine. I read in the .rgn files and use the data in there to make sure the new bitmaps are the right size and have the correct magenta matting. I have successfully loaded them into AACW and they display correctly, no missing puzzle pieces or other oddities.

Pocus

Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:09 am

Do you have a screenshot? 'Mudding' an entire region graphic... I'm unsure it renders well.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Generalisimo

Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:23 pm

pakfront wrote:I should have mentioned that in my test scripts altering the current bitmaps it has actually worked just fine. I read in the .rgn files and use the data in there to make sure the new bitmaps are the right size and have the correct magenta matting. I have successfully loaded them into AACW and they display correctly, no missing puzzle pieces or other oddities.

Then what are you waiting for??? :w00t:
Show a picture!!! :D
"History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon."
Napoleon Bonaparte

BOA-AAR: ¡Abajo el imperialismo Británico! (en español)

AGEOD Facebook Fanpage - news & screenshots about the upcoming games!

Rafiki

Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:52 pm

[SIZE="1"](I can't resist an opportunity to use that one :D )[/size]
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

Gray_Lensman

Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:24 am

deleted

pakfront
Corporal

Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:19 am

Fair enough! Here's the test. I just switched the Winter bitmaps with my custom ones for purposes of illustration.
keep in mind it's rough, I'm sure we could get it looking a lot better:
Attachments
mud_example.jpg

Rafiki

Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:17 am

You know, that doesn't look bad at all. Nice going, pakfront :thumbsup:
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE

Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

richfed

Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:53 am

Superb ... That would really add to the ability to quickly and easily determine best paths ... or, to not move at all and wait for better conditions.

I like it.
[color="DarkRed"][SIZE="2"][font="Book Antiqua"]"We've caught them napping!"[/font][/size][/color]

Franciscus

Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:14 pm

I like it :thumbsup:

That would be a great addition to the game :coeurs: :coeurs:

AndrewKurtz

Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:47 pm

+1 :thumbsup:

Pdubya64
Captain

Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:10 pm

Yes, very interesting. Nice work there Pak! :winner:
"Yonder stands Jackson like a stone wall; let us go to his assistance." - CSA BrigGen Barnard Bee at First Manassas

Pocus

Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:46 pm

Not bad at all, even good :)

But to be honest, mud support can only be considered as an unofficial add-on for now. We will need some time to think about the extra code too.

pakfront
Corporal

Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:56 pm

Of course. If you get a chance to add the extra code to load Mud_ bitmaps, let me know and I will release the image generating tool.

Pocus

Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:32 pm

I can't give you an ETA, but this is on my to do list, in the first 25% of it even, so it should be in within some weeks. Can't be faster sorry.

cleveland
Corporal

Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:44 pm

Good news!

Return to “AACW Mods”