Clovis

Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:18 pm

Gray_Lensman wrote:I should point out if you haven't already noticed... (RC6) is broken. I've taken the unusual step of reverting back to (RC5). I hope this works with (RC5).

I didn't... Works with the 1.12 RC5 too
[LEFT]Disabled
[CENTER][LEFT]
[/LEFT]
[LEFT]SVF news: http://struggleformodding.wordpress.com/

[/LEFT]
[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

AndrewKurtz

Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:49 pm

1.13 is out :thumbsup: No pressure :D :D

Redeemer
Major

Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:20 pm

Hey Clovis,

Is this good to go with v1.13 w/hotfix?

Clovis

Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:54 pm

Redeemer wrote:Hey Clovis,

Is this good to go with v1.13 w/hotfix?

It should.

But as I've squashed some bugs in the events I will shortly upload a new version.
[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

Clovis

Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:53 am

New version for 1.13 can be downloaded from the first post of this thread.

I strongly suggest to download all the files, even the batch file in SVF0, as I've made changes to it.
[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

Clovis

Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:57 pm

Some screens from my current test game against CSA AI in May 1862. CSA has taken the last turn offensive in Pensylvania and Missouri. Beaurgard's forces are retreating this turn toward Harper's Ferry. Richmond is protected by a sizeable force.

Around Fort Donelson, AS Johnston is assembling his scattered troops.

[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

Clovis

Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:00 am

This turn, CSA placed Lee at the head of the Army of Northern Virginia...

[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

JB Hood
Corporal

i like the mod

Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:53 pm

but i can´t form corps
button is always disabled
“They are lying on the field where you sent them.”

Clovis

Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:07 pm

JB Hood wrote:but i can´t form corps
button is always disabled

Seems indeed there is a strange bug in the new command. i've uploaded on the first ost of the thread a new version of SVF.

Now, say me what is your curent turn to create a special event to remove the bug.
[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

JB Hood
Corporal

Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:40 pm

Clovis wrote:Seems indeed there is a strange bug in the new command. i've uploaded on the first ost of the thread a new version of SVF.

Now, say me what is your curent turn to create a special event to remove the bug.

started a new game with latest mod version - not able to form corps

tried original game,...the same (no corps)

i have no clue whats wrong

JB Hood
Corporal

Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:42 pm

JB Hood wrote:started a new game with latest mod version - not able to form corps

tried original game,...the same (no corps)

i have no clue whats wrong

should have read the readme

no corps till march 1862

sorry

Gray_Lensman

Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:04 pm

deleted

Clovis

Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:51 pm

JB Hood wrote:should have read the readme

no corps till march 1862

sorry

SVF has adopted the same corps formation rule than the vanilla version. At first, I tried something manifestly wrong, hence a curious bug prohibiting corps creation whatever the turn so I came back to the original event in the current version uploaded at the start of this thread.
[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

JB Hood
Corporal

Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:32 am

Clovis wrote:SVF has adopted the same corps formation rule than the vanilla version. At first, I tried something manifestly wrong, hence a curious bug prohibiting corps creation xwhatever the turn so I came back to the original event...

played april 1862 scenario till nov. 1862

can´t form corps

savegame http://www.savefile.com/files/1989756

Clovis

Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:41 pm

JB Hood wrote:played april 1862 scenario till nov. 1862

can´t form corps

savegame http://www.savefile.com/files/1989756

unzip this file in the SVF/Events folder. You should be able to form corps after the first turn of december 62
Attachments
1861 April Campaign.zip
(14.91 KiB) Downloaded 249 times
[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

cwhomer
Private

Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:22 pm

I'm hitting an CTD error in Late April 1862. Looks like a bad unit ID.

12:17:10 PM [Critical ] TListUnitDefs.Get ListUnitDefs Index out of range (Index/MaxIndex): 1337 1336
12:17:10 PM [Critical ] TListUnitDefs.Get ListUnitDefs Index out of range (Index/MaxIndex): 1337 1336
12:17:10 PM [Critical ] TScriptEngine.Parse Exception caught: Violation d'accès à l'adresse 006F9179 dans le module 'AACW.exe'. Lecture de l'adresse 00000034 while parsing line 12551 : Apply
12:17:10 PM [Error ] THost.CheckLockedGroupsInstantMove Exception caught: Indice de liste hors limites (0)
12:17:10 PM [Critical ] THost.GenerateTurnFiles Exception caught: Violation d'accès à l'adresse 006D1201 dans le module 'AACW.exe'. Lecture de l'adresse 00000050
12:17:10 PM [Critical ] TUnit.UnSerialize Exception caught: Violation d'accès à l'adresse 006D5D31 dans le module 'AACW.exe'. Lecture de l'adresse 00000030
12:17:10 PM (Reporting) 1861: The Civil War (April - Full 2 T 1862, Late April (T: 2696) loaded
12:17:10 PM --- End of Log ---

Overall, a great mod. :thumbsup:

Edit: I should add I'm running 1.13b. That could be the problem as well.
Attachments
1861 April Campaign0.rar
(373.17 KiB) Downloaded 231 times
I was not a Wisconsin soldier, and have not been honorably discharged, but at the judgment day I want to be with Wisconsin soldiers.

-John Gibbon, responding to a reunion invitation

Clovis

Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:14 am

cwhomer wrote:I'm hitting an CTD error in Late April 1862. Looks like a bad unit ID.

Overall, a great mod. :thumbsup:

Edit: I should add I'm running 1.13b. That could be the problem as well.

Thanks.

Download this zip.

Put the uni_Alias file in the SVF/Aliases folder and the 1337Rosecrans in the SVF/gamedata/Units folder. Go back to the last turn and play it again. It should work.

I will upload a new version Asap of the full mod.

I took a look at your current game. take care: I've introduced a lowering in militia conversion to regular units in order to avoid this now famous gamey way to get fully equipped armies at low cost. AI doesn't suffer as much from this.... ;)
[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

Gray_Lensman

Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:14 am

deleted

Clovis

Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:20 pm

Gray_Lensman wrote:Clovis:

As a favor to you for your contributions, if you were to send me your entire SVF Mod in one zipped file already setup, I think I could turn it into a self-executing installer type file. Then you could upload it to a site like www.mediafire.com and virtually everyone could install and use it without all the convoluted installation hassles.

Your zipped up file would be pretty big, so you'd have to go ahead and get a free account set up with mediafire to send it to me in the first place. Let me know if you're interested.

Once we got it going with no flaws, I'd send you the Inno setup file to use from then on. You wouldn't believe how easy it is to actually use, once you've got something working with it in the first place as an example.

Not to mention the actual ease of installation for those that just fumble all over with zipped files, the best part is the simplicity in how it just gets rid of the old folder before creating and filling in new folders as needed... getting rid of duplicate UID errors.

Thanks. I will try it next week.
[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

cwhomer
Private

Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:55 pm

Clovis wrote:Thanks.

Download this zip.

Thanks, that worked. A couple other things I've come across

-The mid-1862 generals event is creating 2 Adolph vons Steinwehrs

-Mutilpe notices regarding corps formation (no effect on gameplay)

16) most 2 and 3 stars Generals have a slight risk to be removed each turn and another to get back... Simulating illness, death or any sort of retirement, these events are yet a very rough way to compensate the lack of death rules for 3 stars leaders in AGE engine... with the side effect to disband the army commanded by the leader...hence the very low probability of this sort of removal. But at least Grant or Lee aren't anymore immortal...

-After a battle in late May, Grant disappeared. There was no notice (in the battle report screen or the news) that he had been wounded, killed, removed temporarily, retired, etc. The only message was: Ulysses S. Grant has been congradulated for his action against the enemy. New Senority: 7.

I played hands-off to late September and he didn't reappear (but I did get events that "returned" Meade and Sheridan, who had not been on the map yet). I looked through all the information (thread, game files) I could find about leader removal and am still unclear if this is WAD as designed or not. I can understand losing him, but not getting any message about it makes me wonder.

I then went back to the turn before he disappeared. Same thing happened when I reran the turn, but I noticed that Lew Wallace was also at 2 stars and commanding a division. I unimbedded Wallaces division, left him and his units in Grant's stack, and ran the turn again. This time, Grant lost the battle but did not disappear. This leads me to believe there is a problem.

-Leader promotion. Did you make any changes to how this works from vanilla? Sherman, Thomas, and Grant won 4 or 5 large battles. In vanilla, I would have had an opportunity to promote some of not all of these generals, but the option never became available.
I was not a Wisconsin soldier, and have not been honorably discharged, but at the judgment day I want to be with Wisconsin soldiers.

Clovis

Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:58 pm

cwhomer wrote:Thanks, that worked. A couple other things I've come across

-The mid-1862 generals event is creating 2 Adolph vons Steinwehrs

-Mutilpe notices regarding corps formation (no effect on gameplay)

-After a battle in late May, Grant disappeared. There was no notice (in the battle report screen or the news) that he had been wounded, killed, removed temporarily, retired, etc. The only message was: Ulysses S. Grant has been congradulated for his action against the enemy. New Senority: 7.

I played handsoff to late September play and he didn't reappear (but I did get events that "returned" Meade and Sheridan, who had not been on the map yet). I looked through all the information (thread, game files) I could find about leader removal and am still unclear if this is WAD as designed or not. I can understand losing him, but not getting any message about it makes me wonder.

I then went back to the turn before he disappeared. Same thing happened when I reran the turn, but I noticed that Lew Wallace was also at 2 stars and commanding a division. I unimbedded Wallaces division, left him and his units in Grant's stack, and ran the turn again. This time, Grant lost the battle but did not disappear. This leads me to believe there is a problem.

-Leader promotion. Did you make any changes to how this works from vanilla? Sherman, Thomas, and Grant won 4 or 5 large battles. In vanilla, I would have had an opportunity to promote some of not all of these generals, but the option never became available.

There is one problem I'm currently trying to solve with leaders "reappearing" before being in play. That's mostly due to the fact I set generic dates for events and I've to set dates corresponding to the turn leader shows up...

About the rest, my events aren't linked with the game engine. A leader may have his seniority increased the same turn the removal event fires. I've to check if all warning messages are displayed properly.

I don't think Wallace promotion to be linked with my events. I fixed this promotion in the last version.

Last removal events are random. They may fire or not. The same for events reintroducing a leader in the game: no luck for you for Grant...

Thanks for signalling these problems and the other bugs.

I didn't change anything to leader promotion. I've seen Grant gaining seniority. I just suppose my battle model, that limits losses, is just forcing to get real decisive battles to get some seniority. Like the surrender of a large forces at Donelson; on the contrary, a Shiloh result doesn't give seniority...see what I mean? ;)
[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

cwhomer
Private

Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:08 pm

Clovis wrote:I don't think Wallace promotion to be linked with my events. I fixed this promotion in the last version.

Last removal events are random. They may fire or not. The same for events reintroducing a leader in the game: no luck for you for Grant...

Thanks for clearing some things up. I assumed most things were working as intended and that I didn't understand them. However I still suspect there is something going on with Grant in this particular situation. I'm going to try a couple different things and see what happens. If I find something I think is noteworthy, I'll update.

By the way, I've found the AI fantastic so far.

Clovis

Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:28 pm

cwhomer wrote:Thanks for clearing some things up. I assumed most things were working as intended and that I didn't understand them. However I still suspect there is something going on with Grant in this particular situation. I'm going to try a couple different things and see what happens. If I find something I think is noteworthy, I'll update.

By the way, I've found the AI fantastic so far.

The generic AI built by Pocus is truly a masterpiece and AGEOD deserves the largest part of the commends. To have studied the AI log file, I may conclude we have a reactive AI, able to put coherent plans for the current turn, reasonably apt to organize its forces, and sufficiently variable to be rather unpredictive.

Now, this AI is the result of updates which have been made after AACW release. Then some modding tools have been created to guide AI recently. I'm just adapting a sound generic AI to this peculiar scenario, new rules, new enhancements nad new tools.

After 1862 I don't know if CSA AI will keep the same quality as I've yet to test more lenghtly it. And the USA AI is yet a work in progress. At least don't buy so much militias... ;)

But indeed, for an AI, CSA is sometimes amazing me... There are blunders, mistakes, foolish moves, large holes coming from it...but after all the real Fort Donelson battle... ;)
[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

Clovis

Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:02 pm

Grant's seniority in May 62 in my current game, after a rather large victory: he's now promotable to 3 stars ranking

[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

cwhomer
Private

Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:14 pm

Clovis wrote:Grant's seniority in May 62 in my current game, after a rather large victory: he's now propotable to 3 stars ranking

Regarding Grant's disappearance, I was able to keep him in-game under the conditions which I noticed him disappear several times previously (as described above). So indeed it appears that it was just a coincidence, but one that happened several times in a row :wacko: .

And now that that has been cleared up, it's time for a new campaign. Those militia divisions ain't going to cut it.

Edit: One question I have left: When a leader is removed from play, is the player supposed to get a message saying something like, "X is removed from command"?

Clovis

Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:32 pm

cwhomer wrote:Regarding Grant's disappearance, I was able to keep him in-game under the conditions which I noticed him disappear several times previously (as described above). So indeed it appears that it was just a coincidence, but one that happened several times in a row :wacko: .

And now that that has been cleared up, it's time for a new campaign. Those militia divisions ain't going to cut it.

Edit: One question I have left: When a leader is removed from play, is the player supposed to get a message saying something like, "X is removed from command"?

Normally yes. Now some error is possible...

For new campaign a few tips:

- build as soon as possible commercial transports and put them in the shipping box: you will get money and WSU to build the regular troops you will need, as historically ( most Northern firearms were in the first years bought in Europe)

- invest in industrialization. Results are random but you will need more WSU from 1862 and you need more general and ammo production as Northern units need in SVF more...

- use as much money as possible to buy levees. CSA will get first conscription in 1862 and during the first part of this year will have a rather large army.

- build transport to mount amphibious operations.

- buy blockade fleet. the more you will have, the less WSU CSA will get. In the long run you will get the number advantage on land you need.
[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

Jayavarman
Lieutenant

Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:24 am

Gray_Lensman wrote:Clovis:

As a favor to you for your contributions, if you were to send me your entire SVF Mod in one zipped file already setup, I think I could turn it into a self-executing installer type file. Then you could upload it to a site like http://www.mediafire.com and virtually everyone could install and use it without all the convoluted installation hassles.

Your zipped up file would be pretty big, so you'd have to go ahead and get a free account set up with mediafire to send it to me in the first place. Let me know if you're interested.

Once we got it going with no flaws, I'd send you the Inno setup file to use from then on. You wouldn't believe how easy it is to actually use, once you've got something working with it in the first place as an example.

Not to mention the actual ease of installation for those that just fumble all over with zipped files, the best part is the simplicity in how it just gets rid of the old folder before creating and filling in new folders as needed... getting rid of duplicate UID errors.

Have you looked into http://www.getdropbox.com ?

Direct download link from your hard drive.
"Sad fragility of human things! What riches and treasures of art will remain forever buried beneath these ruins; how many distinguished men - artists, sovereigns, and warriors - are now forgotten!"

"The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."

Gray_Lensman

Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:36 pm

deleted

Jayavarman
Lieutenant

Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:31 am

Gray_Lensman wrote:The problem with that particular service is you have to leave your computer online. I don't leave my computer online. It gets shutdown when I walk away.

No. It is not actually direct from your hard drive. All the files that you put into your "dropbox" (folder) are automatically uploaded to their server/website and any other computer that you install the software on and link to. Any updates on one computer or on the website automatically updates the others in sync.
"Sad fragility of human things! What riches and treasures of art will remain forever buried beneath these ruins; how many distinguished men - artists, sovereigns, and warriors - are now forgotten!"

"The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."

Gray_Lensman

Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:52 am

deleted

Return to “AACW Mods”