Moriety
Major

Population loyalty

Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:23 pm

Hi all,

I was wondering if there is anyway I can adjust the maximum 1% loyalty shift a province can have per turn?

I've looked at the models file and adjusted the Police rating of Cavalry to 4, but even this won't change the max 1% change- just increase the change of it occuring.

At the moment I have 20-30 units purely occupied in shuffling around provinces to maintain province control over 50% and this is driving me crazy- I so want the loyalty of just a single province to rise above 50%!
In the two games I've played I've yet to get the loyalty of a single province above 50%- the unit shuffling is so tedious and the overview map is simply a sea of blue in many places.....

I noticed in the models file leaders have POLValue = 1 whilst units have POLValue = 0. What does this represent? (As opposed to the Police value)

I'd ideally like 4 Police points to change loyalty by 2%- so pairs of Cavalry can baby-sit key forward provinces and a couple of militia divisions can be used to quickly up the loyalty of provinces further back along the supply chain.

If not possible by units, how about creating a special new leader ability?

So....Is there anyway it can be done?

Gray_Lensman

Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:55 pm

deleted

Moriety
Major

Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:11 pm

Wow!

Thanks Gray,

I had a feeling it may be hard-coded as I could find no reference to it in the game files.....If an edit option is included in a patch that would be great....what expensive spirit do you and Pocus drink btw? :)

Pocus

Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:02 am

I can export the variables, but I'm unsure I agree with the philosophy of your change. You just can't gain the loyalty of people by putting armed forces, that would be too simple. Your main means are either to gain strategic cities, or to set martial law with the domestic policy screen (in this case you just want to limit damages by bounding the loyalty to an acceptable level, preventing the extremes to appears).

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Gray_Lensman

Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:05 am

deleted

Pocus

Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:07 am

yes, you don't gain any VP for a state if you are suspending Habeas Corpus and you lose them in you have Martial Law. You can go with suspend Habeas Corpus, it is sufficient in most cases normally. Or you can wait for the suspend Habeas Corpus effect to apply, and then you go further with Set Martial Law.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Gray_Lensman

Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:01 am

deleted

Pocus

Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:02 pm

2% is too extreme for me, but that what is good with mods, you can do what you want, provided I publish the variables :)

enf91
AGEod Veteran

Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:04 am

What exactly is your acronym WAD? I've seen it a couple times and don't know what it means. If it's some secret game designer's code then I don't need to know. Just curious.

Gray_Lensman

Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:50 am

deleted

Rafiki

Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:37 am

enf91, you can find a collection of the most used acronyms and suchlike at http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=9217 (You're far from the first to wonder) :)
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

Moriety
Major

Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:00 pm

Hi Pocus,

For me it's a game issue- I now have 60-ish units which I am having to shuffle around each turn to maintain control- it's bacisally micro-management on a horrendous scale and can take as long to do as all the other game actions combined within a single game turn.

I'n playing the game more as a straight forward stategic wargame so the realism of this is a step to far, and I'm certain that regions which came under Union control in the real civil-war tended to stay that way?

I'd like to see, as I said, 4 police points changing loyalty by 1%- the game is simply to short for a player to ever gain 50% (and thus the cruical control) in a given province- at least if an options button was placed to allow greater loyalty shift....

Toby
"Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time you've got" Art Buchwald, U.S. Journalist and humourist

Moriety
Major

Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:18 pm

Hi Gray,

I've cut, edited and pasted the original post below:

"That is excellent- thank you both very much!
I unzipped the file and changed the value to 2 (2%), but have no idea where to place the edited file! (I cant find it in the folders).

Do you know what value the "dice" has for the police check? (ie; 20 points, 100 points etc).

I also have a question on the 0-5 variables listed within the generic abilities files regarding "Occupier", "Hated-occupant" and "Good population Admin" traits.

Testing so far indicates that these abilities only work in provinces with a city- which whilst being handy is exactly the provinces that are always garrisoned permanently anyway, thus always providing 100% control!!

Regardering the parameters of these leader traits:

Hated_Occupant/Occupier/Good_Admin_Pop/Pillager_Pop

Param0 = 150 130 80 125
Param1 = 30 15 0 0
Param2 = 60 50 101 101
Param3 = 5 5 0 0
Param4 = 0 0 1 -1
Param5 = 1 1 1 0
Param6 = 90 60 76 75

I assume parameter 4 is the result of a failed dice roll, whilst parameter 5 is the result of a succesful dice roll? (no change/change)

I say this as a leader who has "good pop admin" as a trait always changes loyalty of a city province by 1% whether or not he has units with him and whether or not he is active (thus giving the value as 1 for each parameter).
whilst Pop pillage trait reduces loyalty by 1% if the dice roll fails, if the player succeeds, the zero in parameter 5 shows no change to loyalty, whilst a successful roll for "occupier" gets a +1 loyaly in parameter 5, no change on parameter 4 (failed roll).

Any ideas/knowlege about this? What do the other parameters represent?

I'd love to understand the police dice-roll system most of all, as this is the real area I want to adjust."
------

I don't wish to mod the police dice roll system! I just wish to know if it's a 100-sided dice, an 80-sided dice etc or even a different method completely. I'll then adjust the police values of the militia and Cavalry units' accordingly.

Also, any idea where to put the little modded file you both kindly made available?

Thanks,

Toby :)
"Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time you've got" Art Buchwald, U.S. Journalist and humourist

Gray_Lensman

Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:11 pm

deleted

Pocus

Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:20 pm

100-side dice roll. If you have 237 pts of police in a region, you get +2 loyalty increase and 37% of having a third... this is limited by the new exported variable though (i.e at most 1 pt in vanilla game).

Moriety
Major

Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:08 pm

Pocus wrote:100-side dice roll. If you have 237 pts of police in a region, you get +2 loyalty increase and 37% of having a third... this is limited by the new exported variable though (i.e at most 1 pt in vanilla game).

Hi Pocus,

Thank you for the reply!
Am I correct to say that if I placed a division of 10 Militia units (10 police points) in a province there would be a 10% chance loyalty would change by 1% per turn in the vanilla game?

If so, as I've changed it to 2% max-loyalty shift I'll give each milita unit 10 police points so substantial manpower will still be tied-up but I won't gain an unfair advantage over the AI- at least that's the theory- I'll go and try it!

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Pocus

Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:13 pm

correct yes.

Moriety
Major

Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:52 pm

I've gone some testing and at a 2% max loyalty shift 200 points are needed to guarantee a 2% shift.

It seems that 100 police points will produce a 1% loyalty shift 50% of the time which seems odd- but early days in testing.

I think Gray is right- maybe in ACW 2 tie control of a province to something other than the loyalty of it?

Anyway, I promised you both a bottle of your choice, so just PM me to take up the offer; I'll get a native company to deliver to your workplace. :)

Rafiki

Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:22 pm

moriety wrote:I think Gray is right- maybe in ACW 2 tie control of a province to something other than the loyalty of it?

Control of a province is tied to something else than loyalty. Loyalty influences it, sure, but military control determines it? :)
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE

Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Pocus

Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:52 am

If you really want to, send a bottle to Michael, he is much more committed to AACW than me, these months... ;)

Gray_Lensman

Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:23 pm

deleted

Moriety
Major

Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:47 pm

Hi Gray,

My current game was won in 29 turns......(I will continue until the end however)

After extensive testing I've finally clicked why loyalty is still only changing by 1% a turn, not 2% using police points alone: The file that you both made available only effects martial law being imposed- whilst I wish to change the loyalty by the use of military units (police points) alone, stationed in key provinces.

Is there anyway this can be altered?

One other thing: Because I win fairly quickly as the Union I searched and found some files containing morale victories and changed the morale level for victory to 225 for the Union, but when I load the current game it is still stuck at 185- am I possibly missing a hidden master start-up file somewhere?
(I've altered all the references in the April61 (SCN?) file?)

Finally is there anyway I can alter game turns to 7 days to give a longer game?

Blimey! I don't ask for much do I! :)
But a bottle is waiting....

Toby :)

Gray_Lensman

Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:35 pm

deleted

Moriety
Major

Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:16 pm

Pocus, did you see what Gray wrote? lol! :)

A very happy Christmas to you all, and I hope everyone has a peaceful, relaxed rest.

Return to “AACW Mods”