TheDoctorKing

Southern invasions of the north

Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:32 am

I think the CSA should pay a larger penalty for invading the north, both in terms of foreign intervention possibilities and in terms of northern national morale and troop availability. I think I need to change an event and create a new event. Can somebody who knows how to do this help me out a little?

Where would I find the event that gives the USA a couple of regiments when the south invades a northern state? I'd like to eliminate the regiments, give the USA conscript companies and some National Morale points instead, and reduce the intervention level.

Is there an event that gives the CSA some foreign intervention points or other benefits for capturing objectives in the north? Aside from the VP? If not, I'd need to create such an event. What I'm thinking is that the foreign intervention hit that you would suffer for invading would be partially offset by capturing objective cities in the north.

How would I mod the CSA AI to make it take these penalties into account when planning its moves? I'm getting tired of all those CSA corps marching around in Ohio and Pennsylvania, starving no doubt, but each constituting an offense against historical accuracy.

Micah Goodman
Corporal

Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:00 am

This would be a good idea for a PBEM game but overly detrimental to a human v. AI game as the AI tennds to rush north. It would handicap the AI even more than it is now.

Rafiki

Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:00 am

Micah, it's almost so you ought to add a disclaimer saying that you're turning the AI FOW off; the AI behaves fairly differently with it switched on :)
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

Gray_Lensman

Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:35 am

deleted

Micah Goodman
Corporal

Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:43 pm

Rafiki wrote:Micah, it's almost so you ought to add a disclaimer saying that you're turning the AI FOW off; the AI behaves fairly differently with it switched on :)

Rafiki,
I turned it (FOW) back on long ago. :) It has made a huge difference the AI doesn't rush north near as much but it still does. It also seems to focus too much on Fort Pickens and trats the Union capture of New Orleans in a relative (to Pickens for example) cavalier fashion. I like the idea of punishing the south for invaing the north before a certain date. However, the AI will attack north thus incuring whatever penalty is set. Making it even easier to defeat the AI in the long run than it is now. Just my 2 cents. :D

Gray_Lensman

Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:45 pm

deleted

TheDoctorKing

Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:21 am

Gray_Lensman wrote:Punishing the south for invading the north is not going to happen for the "official" vanilla games.

Why not? Do you (and the other designers) disagree with my historical analysis or is it just that you think that the game would be less pleasurable for people playing the CSA if they couldn't send large armies into the north at will?

If the latter, how does this fit into the discussion we've been having about "sandbox" versus "realistic" games? Major, repeated CSA invasions of the north are about as far into the sandbox as some of the other things that posters have complained about in a certain other company's "historical" computer games.

aryaman

Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:00 pm

Gray_Lensman wrote:Punishing the south for invading the north is not going to happen for the "official" vanilla games.

BTW I wonder, would not be possible for CSA to recruit in Maryland if any city, especially Baltimore, is taken?

Rafiki

Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:17 pm

I don't think so; states can only build for one fot the sides in the war (limitation in the game engine, I think it is)
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE

Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Return to “AACW Mods”