TheDoctorKing

Draft mod

Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:26 am

I noticed some discussion earlier in this thread about a "draft mod" that would prevent either side from beginning conscription in 1861. I think this is a fine idea. Has this been incorporated in the v 1.10c of your mod? Or do I need to separately d/l the "draft mod.rar" file farther up?

Thanks for all your work on this. Sounds like you have made a major improvement in the game.

Clovis

Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:36 am

TheDoctorKing wrote:I noticed some discussion earlier in this thread about a "draft mod" that would prevent either side from beginning conscription in 1861. I think this is a fine idea. Has this been incorporated in the v 1.10c of your mod? Or do I need to separately d/l the "draft mod.rar" file farther up?

Thanks for all your work on this. Sounds like you have made a major improvement in the game.

Yes. And War supplies starting levels are lower too.
[LEFT]Disabled
[CENTER][LEFT]
[/LEFT]
[LEFT]SVF news: http://struggleformodding.wordpress.com/

[/LEFT]
[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

Gray_Lensman

Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:00 am

deleted

TheDoctorKing

AI only?

Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:03 am

Can the mod be played PBEM or only with a human USA player vs. CSA AI?

GShock

Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:17 am

TheDoctorKing wrote:Can the mod be played PBEM or only with a human USA player vs. CSA AI?

If both pbem players install the mod, of course it can be played human vs human.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
We ain't going down!

Clovis

Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:51 pm

TheDoctorKing wrote:Can the mod be played PBEM or only with a human USA player vs. CSA AI?

Can be pbem, but I decline any responsabilty for lack of balance :siffle: . And there's yet some things to be done for CSA side to give human player the chance to understand some events...
[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

Clovis

Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:54 pm

Gray_Lensman wrote:Clovis

Have you actually done any work that reduces the turn by turn output of War Supplies per city? or is it just starting levels modifications?

Both. I reduced turn by turn output and changed the initial levels... I raised a bit the initial levels...

2 reasons: help a bit AI. And one historical: even outdated, some material were existing at start and was extensively used in the first months. Even squirrel guns. Shortages were existing but basically the vast majority of units had some firepower, even if all men weren't armed.
[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

GShock

Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:37 am

Have u tried and see what happens to the AI if arty-ship-clad production is made available only at historical production centers? Does it cope?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We ain't going down!

Drakken
Lieutenant Colonel

Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:48 pm

So, any development for us who wants to play as CSA? We are becoming restless (I suppose)... :nuts:

GShock

Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:24 am

I guess so, all of us. :niark:

I remind Clov to keep the mod to state which AACW version is tested with....with all the changes and frequency of patching in AACW it must be hell a lot of work.

I insist on 2 things if possible...that the mod starts to take into hands the ahistorical location of production for ships and arty (for both sides) and that, at least by my constant begging, that this mod becomes officialized.

No way I'm going back to vanilla after SVF and i think all other players should experience this feeling too. :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We ain't going down!

Gray_Lensman

Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:02 pm

deleted

GShock

Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:17 pm

The historical production locations has to just exclude the current unsuited location...not much work to do, but to do it on the Dbase of settlements.
Phil said it's a 1/2/3 thing for any modder and well i am not but im a good researcher. :)

I believe that coupling the list of iron works and foundries i found with the shipyard data this could be done.

I've surely noticed that Clovis also did the variable max entrenchment level and it casually appeared in SVF long before AACW 1.10d :) :) :)

I don't understand truly why he doesn't want his mod to be official, which prevents Pocus, who is only waiting for documentation from him, from vanillizing the SVF mod that is the state of the art of AACW simulation.

On one side he says everyone can use his mod or portions of his mod, and this includes the DEV team, and on the other side he doesn't want his mod to be officially included as a BULK (as it should be!). I've always been curious about this attitude...there's no modder i know who wouldn't consider it an extreme honor to see his work included in the official version but Clovis more than once evaded my question. I think if we had managed to build an installer for the mod, and launched a poll we'd all be surprised about the number of players using it. I mean...hell it rocks big time.

I bet he's a lethal weapon now he's working on VGN...let's hope he doesn't forget about us! lol
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We ain't going down!

Gray_Lensman

Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:05 am

deleted

GShock

Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:06 am

Gray_Lensman wrote:Regarding Clovis' MOD:
It's not just a matter of documentation. Its the way he has done the MOD overall. In order for the MOD to be "officialized" it has to be in "source file" or .xls format for the in-house utilities to be able to work with it for future updates. By comparison, Bigus' provided 3 scenarios in source file format, and these were quickly and easily absorbed into the vanilla game. These source (.xls) files are the files that I work with in order to relatively quickly update the 13 vanilla .scn files for the game. I generally can edit and rapidly output all 13 of these scenarios in less than 4 hours (1 hour if I don't test them as they are completed). It's impossible to do this by working directly with each individual .scn file. Clovis' MOD though Cool, and probably the best scenario for the game, would require so much overhead in maintenance each time there was an update, that it is unacceptable to AGEod to "officialize" it in its present form.

That i know....i know...it's not possible to do it until Clovis releases the "documentation" that Pocus needs. It means explain what he's done so far and convert it into files and methods that can be used by the team. This is why i keep asking :Why did he chose to do it like this? Possibly because he doesn't want the mod to be official? Then why doesn't he want it to be official? Mistery....

Have u seen God save the South AAR and the way losses are treated? There's many battles with over 50.000 total losses. Too many...too ahistorical...Is it possible that none of us can convince Clovis to work for the good side? :)

Gray_Lensman wrote:Regarding production locations:
It's very easy for someone outside of the loop to say and assume, "this is so easy".

I didn't say it's easy, Philippe said it. If it was easy, i'd have done it....i wouldn't have limited to the researches part. I do suck so even if its easy, to me it would still be a hard thing to do. Still...theres more research to be done on this subject. If there's a chance to build it into the game, i'd be happy to contribute. But i still want Clovs' mod to be vanillized. And i think we should propose a poll. Maybe if he sees what the community wants he will change his mind :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We ain't going down!

Gray_Lensman

Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:21 pm

deleted

GShock

Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:56 pm

Yes i agree with you, in fact i expressed first hand the doubt that even though it would be an appropriate fix, the AI would be unable to handle it correctly, i.e. in deploying DIVs with mixed elements to be combined and in assembling armies and corps correctly, i.e. set this entity to HOLD until X arty has come to fill the ranks...and other i.e's...

At least we got the rapids coming, it's a great thingy. :coeurs:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We ain't going down!

StatboyVT
Sergeant

Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:42 am

Finally got around to trying the new version of the mod with 1.10c. Playing as the Union, using Clovis' recommended settings. Difficulty normal, normal aggressiveness, +1 FOW, normal activation rules. The CSA AI still seems to be overly aggressive. Beauregard and Johnston are already advancing into western Maryland by the end of July, with one force of 16,000 men just over the Pennsylvania border. The way to Richmond appears to be clear. McDowell is sitting in Manassas with 30,000 troops and the Confederacy seems to be paying him no mind. I'm sure I'll be able to march him to Richmond. Whether or not he'll activate and actually attack the city is another question. :rolleyes:

There was also a small cavalry raid in Southern Maryland by one regiment in June. However, they sat there for a turn and then went back to Virginia.

In the west, I have noticed a decrease in Confederate cavalry raids. In the past on many occasions they've even attacked California or Oregon directly, or even the Rockies. I haven't seen that yet, through July. They are however going hard after Ft. Pickens, as usual. Polk is assaulting it with 12,000 troops each turn. As a result I'm sure I'll be able to march down from Cairo and take Island No. 10 and Ft. Donelson without much of a fight.

Overall the aggressiveness seems to be toned down a bit this time around, through the end of July at least. Except for the blasted main Confederate army in Virginia, which seems to think the most important thing to do is push Patterson back from Harper's Ferry through Western PA while leaving the road to Richmond wide open.

I'll admit that I'm not sure how this compares to the regular vanilla 1.10c. I can't bring myself to play it after playing many games of SVF. The casualty rates are much too high, and I feel Clovis gives us a much better early war experience with his mod. He's spoiled me. :D

Anyway, just thought I'd provide some feedback. As usual, thanks for all you do. Can't wait to see what some of you modders can do with BOA2!

Clovis

Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:02 pm

StatboyVT wrote:Finally got around to trying the new version of the mod with 1.10c. Playing as the Union, using Clovis' recommended settings. Difficulty normal, normal aggressiveness, +1 FOW, normal activation rules. The CSA AI still seems to be overly aggressive. Beauregard and Johnston are already advancing into western Maryland by the end of July, with one force of 16,000 men just over the Pennsylvania border. The way to Richmond appears to be clear. McDowell is sitting in Manassas with 30,000 troops and the Confederacy seems to be paying him no mind. I'm sure I'll be able to march him to Richmond. Whether or not he'll activate and actually attack the city is another question. :rolleyes:

There was also a small cavalry raid in Southern Maryland by one regiment in June. However, they sat there for a turn and then went back to Virginia.

In the west, I have noticed a decrease in Confederate cavalry raids. In the past on many occasions they've even attacked California or Oregon directly, or even the Rockies. I haven't seen that yet, through July. They are however going hard after Ft. Pickens, as usual. Polk is assaulting it with 12,000 troops each turn. As a result I'm sure I'll be able to march down from Cairo and take Island No. 10 and Ft. Donelson without much of a fight.

Overall the aggressiveness seems to be toned down a bit this time around, through the end of July at least. Except for the blasted main Confederate army in Virginia, which seems to think the most important thing to do is push Patterson back from Harper's Ferry through Western PA while leaving the road to Richmond wide open.

I'll admit that I'm not sure how this compares to the regular vanilla 1.10c. I can't bring myself to play it after playing many games of SVF. The casualty rates are much too high, and I feel Clovis gives us a much better early war experience with his mod. He's spoiled me. :D

Anyway, just thought I'd provide some feedback. As usual, thanks for all you do. Can't wait to see what some of you modders can do with BOA2!

That's fixed with this last version...Athena is really now a little too shy in low aggressiveness and a little too aggressive in normal aggressiveness but by fixinng some VP I got some acceptable patterns.
[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

Clovis

Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:04 pm

Gray_Lensman wrote:I think Clovis chose to make his MOD his way, because he's much more comfortable with working with the output files themselves, and not for any other mysterious reasons.

Again regarding production locations:

Just to let you know, I was successful in figuring out how to rework the various files to block the naval units appearing upriver of Muscle Shoals (Middle Tennessee River). At that point, I put some more thought into what you were requesting and decided this would not be good for the game itself. As stated above, I only went along with the CSA naval production alteration because of the fact that the naval units are effectively useless if they randomly pop up at one of the locations above Muscle Shoals.

I also pointed out that artillery units and other specialty units can move to wherever they are needed. But now after some additional thought, I should also point out that this is a game where you have the decision to industrialize different areas that weren't necessarily industrialized in the actual Civil War and you have to consider that even in the actual Civil War, though some places were heavy armaments centers, the south in some cases improvised by moving production equipment to other areas. This happened in the Trans-Mississippi area for sure, since they were cut off, and it probably would have happened elsewhere also. The game does a good job of reducing the available war supplies when you capture the larger cities and that in itself helps to simulate the loss of important armament centers.

Taking it one step further, the game is primarily played against the AI. If production of artillery was limited to just a few choice locations, the AI would be at a severe disadvantage against a human player who is armed with that knowledge. We already, have slippery, borderline gamey cavalry tactics, so you can get the picture. The AI is challenged enough already.

+1.

We must draw the line between game interest and historical accuracy. On this one, The more I consider the change the more I feel the historical value isn't sufficient to risk to break the game system.

That's not to say the idea to be a bad one. I would really like to find a way to realize it.
[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

briny_norman
Corporal

Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:54 am

Hi - quick question:
Is the Lyon/Price mod compatible with Struggle?
If not, is there a quick way to make him appear with 100% certainty in the Struggle mod?

Gray_Lensman

Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:28 pm

deleted

briny_norman
Corporal

Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:22 pm

Thanks alot!

Clovis

Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:05 pm

Gray_Lensman wrote:Find the USA Events.sct file for the MOD, probably in the same path that you have set for the MODPath. It'll be in the associated ...ACW/Events/ folder along with other .sct files. His (Clovis) version of this file is currently date stamped 6/11/2008. Open the file up with Notepad (.sct files are actually .txt files). Do a "Find" for "StLouisMassacre" (no spaces).

You should see something like this:

StartEvent = evt_nam_USA_StLouisMassacre1861R|1|2|evt_txt_USA_StLouisMassacre1861R|Event-img_USA_StLouisMassacre1861|$Saint Louis, MO|100

Conditions
MinDate = 1861/05/10
MaxDate = 1861/07/15
EvalEvent = evt_nam_USA_StLouisMassacre1861M;=;0
Probability = 75 <--- Eliminate this line

Actions
DescEvent = evt_desc_USA_StLouisMassacre1861R
ChangeLoyaltyFac = $MO;-20
SelectRegion = $Saint Louis, MO
ChangeLoyaltyFac = -10

ChgEvtOccurs = evt_nam_USA_MissouriForcePool;cuOccurs;1

SelectFaction = $USA
SelectRegion = $Saint Louis, MO
CreateGroup
Posture = $Defensive
SetKind = $Land
Entranch = 0
InCS = 0
FixType = 0
SetName = _genName
Apply
CreateUnit
SetType = $uni_USA_Cav1IA
FlavorName = Capt. N. Lyon

As noted above, eliminate the "Probability = 75" line altogether, so that it reads:

Conditions
MinDate = 1861/05/10
MaxDate = 1861/07/15
EvalEvent = evt_nam_USA_StLouisMassacre1861M;=;0

Actions

Save and exit... Voila you're done...

Note the game defaults to 100% probability between the dates specified if there is no "Probability =" statement. BTW, Price should also show up, as the event for him (in the "CSA Events.sct" file) evaluates whether the above event has fired (which at 100% will give a true evaluation)

Regards

Exactly
[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

Dooley
Conscript

Error with PBEM

Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:26 pm

Hi Clovis,

I am trying to have a PBEM game with your mod patched to 1.10c, and attached is the error I get when attempting to open the second turn sent to me by my opponent.
He has sent an email to support re this but we haven't had a reply.

Any thoughts?

thx in advance.

Mark
Attachments

[The extension txt has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Clovis

Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:38 pm

Dooley wrote:Hi Clovis,

I am trying to have a PBEM game with your mod patched to 1.10c, and attached is the error I get when attempting to open the second turn sent to me by my opponent.
He has sent an email to support re this but we haven't had a reply.

Any thoughts?

thx in advance.

Mark

Problem is tied with 2 units (numbers 1220 and 1223). In any case, each of you should place the next files from this zip file in your Struggle folder:
- the uni-alias in the Aliases folder
- the 1223USA_Gunboat_MD and the 1220USA transport in the Struggle...\Gamedata\Units folder

I suspect you haven't exactly the same version of the mod. If this fix doesn't work, you should download again the last files( from this thread) and install it.
[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

Dooley
Conscript

Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:23 am

Hi Clovis,

Thx for help. Were you going to attach some files for us to install? If I read your reply correctly.

Mark

bk6583
Lieutenant

Union River Interdiction Bug

Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:34 am

Clovis,

Now that I've played a number of campaigns I'd love to try out your mod. However, since I'll be playing the Union, 1.10c has a bug where Union river ships blocked both CSA and Union ground units from crossing rivers (fixed in 1.10d). Is this bug basically still there even after I load your mod? Is a
1.10d mod coming out any time soon?

Clovis

Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:28 pm

Dooley wrote:Hi Clovis,

Thx for help. Were you going to attach some files for us to install? If I read your reply correctly.

Mark

Oops... Files are uploaded. Thanks.
[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

Clovis

Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:30 pm

bk6583 wrote:Clovis,

Now that I've played a number of campaigns I'd love to try out your mod. However, since I'll be playing the Union, 1.10c has a bug where Union river ships blocked both CSA and Union ground units from crossing rivers (fixed in 1.10d). Is this bug basically still there even after I load your mod? Is a
1.10d mod coming out any time soon?

You can play it with 1.10d.
[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

bk6583
Lieutenant

Dumb Question

Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:36 pm

Clovis,

Does your mod only start with the 1861 full campaign or can I use it to play the 1862 and 1863 full campaign scenarios as well?

Return to “AACW Mods”