Clovis

Fri May 23, 2008 5:19 pm

Turbo823 wrote:Clovis,

[ATTACH]2771[/ATTACH]

Here is the log file. Thanks so much for your help!

the problem to first look seems to belong to the abilities folder ( in the gamedata folder). You should get a look over it as the log shows there are no files inside.
[LEFT]Disabled
[CENTER][LEFT]
[/LEFT]
[LEFT]SVF news: http://struggleformodding.wordpress.com/

[/LEFT]
[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

StatboyVT
Sergeant

Fri May 23, 2008 6:13 pm

Clovis have you tried your mod anymore with 1.10a? I decided to try a clean, vanilla version of 1.10a with no mods. Everything seems to be working fine now. I've played almost a year as the Union, and there have been no suicidal Confederate AI movements. The war in the East is playing great (except for casualty rates, which is why I love your mod the most).

With 1.10a combined with your mod, I was getting suicidal Confederate A.I., as we've discussed. I then tried 1.10a with the leader mod, and got the same results, so I figured it was the actual game, not the mods. But playing a clean, vanilla version seems to have fixed everything. I know little to nothing about coding so I have no fix, but I thought I'd pass that along.

By the way, my settings were medium difficulty, low aggressiveness, +1 activation, two notches on the FOW advantage.

Clovis

Fri May 23, 2008 8:55 pm

Gray_Lensman wrote:Clovis:

If you don't mind, could you point me to the correct files that change the draft/conscription times. I seem to be having no luck in finding the particular event files that concern these. Thanks.

What I modified is in the scenario file, I don't added or modified events.

Idon't forgot for Kentucky too....

Regards
[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

Gray_Lensman

Fri May 23, 2008 8:58 pm

deleted

Clovis

Fri May 23, 2008 9:02 pm

StatboyVT wrote:Clovis have you tried your mod anymore with 1.10a? I decided to try a clean, vanilla version of 1.10a with no mods. Everything seems to be working fine now. I've played almost a year as the Union, and there have been no suicidal Confederate AI movements. The war in the East is playing great (except for casualty rates, which is why I love your mod the most).

With 1.10a combined with your mod, I was getting suicidal Confederate A.I., as we've discussed. I then tried 1.10a with the leader mod, and got the same results, so I figured it was the actual game, not the mods. But playing a clean, vanilla version seems to have fixed everything. I know little to nothing about coding so I have no fix, but I thought I'd pass that along.

By the way, my settings were medium difficulty, low aggressiveness, +1 activation, two notches on the FOW advantage.

I've read your post on the main forum and since I'm working on several changes in my mod.

My mod is using the leader mod so I guess there's something to look for in the changes this mod does. Maybe AI hasn't much hassle to get the right leader in the right place and so is taling offensive sooner. Maybe it belongs to leaders stats. AS I'm convinced these values to be slighty overpowered, I plan to reduce them in the future.

But I feel too the events I created to "beef up" CSA AI against human opponent are now maybe producing a too powerful CSA at start against an Union player who has less units.

I'm removing too some VP locations I added. The first try is rather interesting but I've yet a little work...
[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

Clovis

Fri May 23, 2008 9:07 pm

Gray_Lensman wrote:That helps! I'll look closer at the scenario files themselves. Thanks.

you have to work with this string:

5102|1&0&None.png&strNone&strNone&strNone&0&0&0&0&0&0&0&0&0&0&0&&&&|5101|1&0&None.png&strNone&strNone&strNone&0&0&0&0&0&0&0&0&0&0&0&&&&|5100|1&0&None.png&strNone&strNone&strNone&0&0&0&0&0&0&0&0&0&0&0&&&&|5103|1&0&None.png&strNone&strNone&strNone&0&0&0&0&0&0&0&0&0&0&0&&&&|5000|1&12&mdl_CSA_Mil5.png&strFreeVolunteersTitle&strFreeVolunteers&strFreeVolunteersTool&-20&0&0&0&0&0&0&0&0&0&0&&&&|5001|1&12&mdl_CSA_Mil5.png&strPaidVolunteersTitle&strPaidVolunteers&strPaidVolunteersTool&10&0&0&1&0&0&0&0&0&0&0&&&&|5002|1&12&mdl_CSA_Mil5.png&strPaidVolunteersTitle&strPaidVolunteers&strPaidVolunteersTool&40&0&0&2&0&1&0&0&0&0&0&&&&|5003|1&12&mdl_CSA_Mil5.png&strPaidVolunteersTitle&strPaidVolunteers&strPaidVolunteersTool&65&0&0&3&0&2&0&0&0&0&0&&&&|5008|1&12&WarBond.png&strWarBondsLowTitle&strWarBondsLow&strWarBondsLowTool&450&200&0&0&0&0&25&0&0&0&0&&&&|5009|1&12&WarBond.png&strWarBondsMedTitle&strWarBondsMed&strWarBondsMedTool&300&250&0&0&1&0&50&0&0&0&0&&&&|5010|1&12&WarBond.png&strWarBondsHighTitle&strWarBondsHigh&strWarBondsHighTool&150&325&0&0&2&0&75&0&0&0&0&&&&|5011|1&3&WarBond.png&strpaperMoneyTitle&strpaperMoney&strPaperMoneyTool&400&150&0&0&5&2&0&0&0&0&0&&&&|5012|1&12&WarBond.png&strTaxesLowTitle&strTaxesLow&strTaxesLowTool&400&200&0&0&0&1&0&0&0&0&0&&&&|5013|1&12&WarBond.png&strTaxesMedTitle&strTaxesMed&strTaxesMedTool&275&250&0&0&1&1&0&0&0&0&0&&&&|5014|1&12&WarBond.png&strTaxesHighTitle&strTaxesHigh&strTaxesHighTool&125&350&0&0&0&10&0&0&0&0&0&&&&|5015|1&0&&&&&0&0&0&0&0&0&0&0&0&0&0&&&&|5016|1&0&&&&&0&0&0&0&0&0&0&0&0&0&0&&&&|5017|1&12&MoveCapital.png&strMoveCapitalTitle&strMoveCapitalOption&strMoveCapitalTool&0&0&0&100&0&5&50&0&0&0&0&&&&|5018|1&12&MoveCapital.png&strMoveCapitalTitle&strMoveCapitalOption&strMoveCapitalTool&0&0&0&100&0&5&75&0&0&0&0&&&&|5019|1&12&MoveCapital.png&strMoveCapitalTitle&strMoveCapitalOption&strMoveCapitalTool&0&0&0&100&0&5&100&0&0&0&0&&&&|5020|1&12&CompleteBlockade.png&strForeignPressureUSATitle&strForeignPressureUSA&strForeignPressureUSATool&55&15&15&-50&0&-1&-15&0&0&0&0&strForeignPressureUSABackfire&strForeignPressureUSASuccessNotifyCSA&strForeignPressureUSABackFireNotifyCSA&|5021|1&12&TradeConcession.png&strForeignEcoGiftUSATitle&strForeignEcoGiftUSA&strForeignEcoGiftUSATool&80&6&2&-50&0&4&50&0&0&0&0&strGiftUSABackfire&strGiftUSASuccessNotifyCSA&strGiftUSABackFireNotifyCSA&|5022|1&12&LandConcession.png&strForeignLandGiftUSATitle&strForeignLandGiftUSA&strForeignLandGiftUSATool&70&12&2&10&0&7&100&0&0&0&0&strGiftUSABackfire&strGiftUSASuccessNotifyCSA&strGiftUSABackFireNotifyCSA&|

a little cryptic :innocent:

For example:

5013|1&12&WarBond.png&strTaxesMedTitle&strTaxesMed&strTaxesMedTool&275&250&0&0&1&1&0&0&0&0&0&&&&

5013 is the alias of the option, 12 the interval between two uses of the option, 275 and 250 modify here the cash value, the last 2 "1" are the losses in NM and inflation cost.
[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

lodilefty

Fri May 23, 2008 9:16 pm

Gray, I'm jumping in the middle, so bear with me... :nuts:

If by draft and conscription times, do you mean "active or not" and "reset interval" [how long to use it again]?

If so, I have a 'draft mod' I was working on, in spreadsheets ready to compile via csv -> split. They appear to be what Clovis is talking about. It modifies the gameoptions.inc for startup and then runs events to further change frequency and availability....

My intent was to totally disallow any draft until later in 1861, then nothing beyong 'call for volunteers' until later in the war.... It was working last time I tried it [I haven't touched AACW since I became engaged with WIA project. :siffle: ]

I can post or email if you wish.....
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

Gray_Lensman

Sat May 24, 2008 2:26 am

deleted

Clovis

Sat May 24, 2008 8:12 am

StatboyVT wrote:Clovis have you tried your mod anymore with 1.10a? I decided to try a clean, vanilla version of 1.10a with no mods. Everything seems to be working fine now. I've played almost a year as the Union, and there have been no suicidal Confederate AI movements. The war in the East is playing great (except for casualty rates, which is why I love your mod the most).

I've uploaded a new version , giving to CSA AI a more cautious behaviour with your setting except the activation bonus I consider unnecessary for CSA AI, ie medium difficulty, low aggressiveness, two notches on the FOW advantage.

here for those having yet downloaded the mod a zip archive containing only the modified files. To the exception of the 1861 April Campaign.scn file (to put in the secnario folder, all the others msut be placed in the event folder:
[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

Clovis

Sat May 24, 2008 8:41 am

September 61 from the CSA AI side:

In the East:

CSA invaded Kentucky the last turn:

In the Missouri, Price and McCulloch are forming in Fayetteville whenever Lyon is standing at Sprinfield:

A large protion of CSA western units are heading toward Texas, where Houston has chosen to fight for the Union.
[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

Big Muddy

Sat May 24, 2008 11:54 am

Clovis wrote:I've uploaded a new version , giving to CSA AI a more cautious behaviour with your setting except the activation bonus I consider unnecessary for CSA AI, ie medium difficulty, low aggressiveness, two notches on the FOW advantage.

here for those having yet downloaded the mod a zip archive containing only the modified files. To the exception of the 1861 April Campaign.scn file (to put in the secnario folder, all the others msut be placed in the event folder:

Am I understanding this correctly, if SFV v1.10 is not downloaded all I need is this zip in order to play? Or install SFM and then add zip.

Clovis

Sat May 24, 2008 11:57 am

Big Muddy wrote:Am I understanding this correctly, if SFV v1.10 is not downloaded all I need is this zip in order to play? Or install SFM and then add zip.

yes. SFV has only the last modified file but the whole mod downloadable on the first post of this thread has been updated too.
[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

lodilefty

Sat May 24, 2008 12:09 pm

Gray_Lensman wrote:<snip>
[B]lodilefty:

I wouldn't mind seeing what you started. It might help me to understand what I'm looking at even more... If you wouldn't mind, before sending, could you possibly highlight the interesting areas in your .xls file(s), to make it easier for me to spot.

At the moment, I'm internet challenged, and I won't be able to download it until tomorrow morning, so you should have plenty of time. Thanks.

Annotated files attached. The 'secret' lies in gameoptions.inc for startup options, then using same syntax in an event to change the options later....

By the way, I truly stand in awe of the modders who have done their work directly with the .scn files. :hat:
Those are cryptic beasts! I get headaches working with the spreadsheets. :bonk: Can't imagine working with those nasty long strings!!!!
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]

[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

Big Muddy

Sat May 24, 2008 12:21 pm

Clovis wrote:yes. SFV has only the last modified file but the whole mod downloadable on the first post of this thread has been updated too.

Thank you, I'll DL from first post.

Gray_Lensman

Sat May 24, 2008 2:44 pm

deleted

StatboyVT
Sergeant

Sun May 25, 2008 1:26 am

Clovis wrote:I've uploaded a new version , giving to CSA AI a more cautious behaviour with your setting except the activation bonus I consider unnecessary for CSA AI, ie medium difficulty, low aggressiveness, two notches on the FOW advantage.

I greatly appreciate the effort Clovis. However, things seem to be playing the same for me. I downloaded a fresh copy of the mod, and the CSA AI is still borderline insane. By the end of July, cavalry was already in PA, and now it's September and one cavalry unit is up near Boston.

With regards to the main armies, Jackson was on his way to Pittsburgh and Johnston was on his way to Ft. Monroe. However, I came down with McDowell and threatened Richmond, and they both pulled back. After Johnston defeated McDowell and pushed him back to Fredericksburg, he was back to Ft. Monroe. He beat McDowell on the first day of the turn, and by the end of the turn he was already back at Ft. Monroe. The very next turn, he began assaulting it.

In the West, Polk and Floyd have 20,000 men assaulting Ft. Pickens every single turn, and losing about 1,500 men per assault. McCulloch took 5,000 troops and assaulted the Kentucky troops that automatically start in Evansville. After 3 assaults, all 5,000 attackers were wiped out.

So overall, it doesn't look like anything has changed for me, unless I downloaded it wrong. I downloaded a fresh copy from the original post in this thread, which you said was updated. Did I need to install that, and then install your update as well? It seemed to me that you said the update was included in the original post as well. Just wanted to clarify.

And I was using your recommended settings. Medium difficulty, low aggressiveness, two notches on the FOW, and no activation bonus.

Thanks!

Clovis

Sun May 25, 2008 9:13 am

StatboyVT wrote:I greatly appreciate the effort Clovis. However, things seem to be playing the same for me. I downloaded a fresh copy of the mod, and the CSA AI is still borderline insane. By the end of July, cavalry was already in PA, and now it's September and one cavalry unit is up near Boston.

With regards to the main armies, Jackson was on his way to Pittsburgh and Johnston was on his way to Ft. Monroe. However, I came down with McDowell and threatened Richmond, and they both pulled back. After Johnston defeated McDowell and pushed him back to Fredericksburg, he was back to Ft. Monroe. He beat McDowell on the first day of the turn, and by the end of the turn he was already back at Ft. Monroe. The very next turn, he began assaulting it.

In the West, Polk and Floyd have 20,000 men assaulting Ft. Pickens every single turn, and losing about 1,500 men per assault. McCulloch took 5,000 troops and assaulted the Kentucky troops that automatically start in Evansville. After 3 assaults, all 5,000 attackers were wiped out.

So overall, it doesn't look like anything has changed for me, unless I downloaded it wrong. I downloaded a fresh copy from the original post in this thread, which you said was updated. Did I need to install that, and then install your update as well? It seemed to me that you said the update was included in the original post as well. Just wanted to clarify.

And I was using your recommended settings. Medium difficulty, low aggressiveness, two notches on the FOW, and no activation bonus.

Thanks!

Thanks for the input.

There's indeed yet some problem with West Virginia and Pittsburgh aera. I'm going to remove the Vp location at Grafton to temper AI interest..

Fort Pickens: CSA dis historically siege. In my own game, AI assaulted Pickens ( under Zollicoffer command) and seized it. Now the AI is cumbersome in fortification assaults but holding Pickens is for the Union a big advantage for blocakade( I use Pickens to supply the blockade forces until seizing New Orleans) so it's on the strategical sense not a bad move.

I wonder if AI is going for what she "considers" key locations more easily when the garrison is inside structure. I will both test with a yet higher FOW advantage and if insufficient by putting garrisons outside structures.

Cavalry raids: I noticed the same tendancy but that's adding to Union player burden; in my tests I can stop these raids before long until now.

About Evansville: I didn't noticed the same move. By all ways, this aggressivity is forcing here Union player to be rather aggressive to seize the initiative.
[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

Clovis

Sun May 25, 2008 11:09 pm

After some quick tests, the best results for now are low aggro, +1 fog of war advantage, no activation bonus. CSA AI is yet able to try offensive moves in a rather reasonable way.

For Union, normal aggro, +2 fow bonus and +1 activation are clearly giving best results.
[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

Gray_Lensman

Sun May 25, 2008 11:14 pm

deleted

Clovis

Sun May 25, 2008 11:31 pm

Gray_Lensman wrote:Are these settings just for your MOD are do they apply at anytime?

Also, when you say "For Union" are you implying that the gamer is playing as the Union side or against the Union AI?

For my mod. But I presume there are here some clue for vanilla. Now I guess most players are choosing the Confederate side, both for challenge and inclination so the CSA AI is rather unknow territory...

For Union: against Union AI
[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

Gray_Lensman

Sun May 25, 2008 11:38 pm

deleted

berto
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon May 26, 2008 12:03 am

Gray, is there any chance of your working with Clovis to package his mod in your Fast Install format? I find his installation instructions to be "rather" daunting.
What this town needs is a good Renaissance band!
Early MusiChicago - Early Music in Chicago and Beyond - http://earlymusichicago.org
PIKT - Global-View, Site-at-a-Time System and Network Administration - http://pikt.org
AGElint - an AGE debugging toolkit - http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2978333
Your Mileage May Vary -- Always!

Gray_Lensman

Mon May 26, 2008 3:39 am

deleted

Pocus

Mon May 26, 2008 9:19 am

I provided you with a sample script to use with ino setup, you can learn how to do that in 15 mn I think :)

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

berto
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon May 26, 2008 2:13 pm

Gray_Lensman wrote:Unfortunately not at the present time... Clovis' MOD like Runyan's MOD involves "deleting" items during the installation process. My (fast install) only works if all it has to do is overlay original files... It cannot perform the deletions.

A pity. I have a low tolerance for breaking my installation through complicated install procedures. Been there, done that.

Early MusiChicago - Early Music in Chicago and Beyond - http://earlymusichicago.org

PIKT - Global-View, Site-at-a-Time System and Network Administration - http://pikt.org

AGElint - an AGE debugging toolkit - http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2978333

arsan

Mon May 26, 2008 2:36 pm

berto wrote:A pity. I have a low tolerance for breaking my installation through complicated install procedures. Been there, done that.

Why don't you try a double installation?
One for vanilla
Another for the mod

berto
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon May 26, 2008 2:54 pm

arsan wrote:Why don't you try a double installation?
One for vanilla
Another for the mod

I do that. I currently have five different installations going back to the 1.09 beta series, also a base 1.05-from-CD install.

The problem is not so much breaking the game, so that it simply won't run. Instead, it's having a seemingly playable game where sub components aren't working quite right.

Then you have these series of posts where people report strange behavior, only later to find out that they missed some niggling little installation detail, or something else somehow got screwed up (so... "never mind what I said").

I'm not biased against trying out and testing things in general, just the overly complicated stuff where you have to micromanage files and settings across more than one or two directories. Life is too short. In such cases, I just prefer to wait for the best modding ideas going official.

arsan

Mon May 26, 2008 3:00 pm

:bonk:
I juts thought you didn't knew that you could have several installations of the game... but with five versions of AACW on your PC i think you already know that pretty well :niark:
Regards

Gray_Lensman

Mon May 26, 2008 3:30 pm

deleted

GShock

Mon May 26, 2008 5:19 pm

I've had a "lesson" from a friend on inno setup and i also used another prog with which i generated several draft. The game wouldn't work, and the mod wouldn't even uninstall so i ended up throwing the mouse on the wall and reinstalling.

:(
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
We ain't going down!

Return to “AACW Mods”