ronnzz
Civilian

Sun May 31, 2009 3:17 am

thanks for the exact instruction now i know, thanks for the help..

HMSWarspite
Private

Problem with mod

Sun May 31, 2009 8:05 am

I have installed your mod (1.13b), following instructions (inc UAC off). Seems to install ok, but when I run the prog, I get 'file not found', localstrings*.csv in \(sfvf)\settings ... I have checked my sfvf folder and there is no settings subfolder... deleting modpath reverts to the vanilla 1/13b ok...
I know: wrong war, wrong country, wrong century. But she's my favourite:nuts:

Tex Willer
Corporal

Sun May 31, 2009 5:11 pm

Clovis wrote:[font=Tahoma, sans-serif][size=134]PRAISE FOR SVF[/size][/font]

Overall a commendable product. My only complaint is that SVF confederate sharpshooters couldn't hit an elephant at this distance…”
General John Sedgwick, Spotsylvania

In great deeds Struggle for a Vast Future abides.”
Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain, 20th Maine

"If I could save the Union without patching up to SVF, I would do it; if I could save it by downloading SVF, I would do it; and if I could save it by playing the Public beta patch 1.13e (RC5d), I would also do that . . . My paramount object in the struggle is to save the Union…"
Abraham Lincoln, Letter to Horace Greeley, August 22, 1862

“The trouble with being educated is that it takes a long time; it uses up the better part of your life and when you are finished what you know is that you would have benefited more by going into banking, or like Clovis becoming a fabulously successful modder of AGEOD’s American Civil War.”

Philip K. Dick

Athena
, Silicium City, Artificial Intelligence: " I never felt myself so smart as in SVF"

G.McClellan, Ohio, Army Commander: " SVF is really the only mod where I feel I could make an attack, maybe."

Van Dorn, Arkansas, Cavalry Leader: " I can't play SVF anymore. I just can't resign myself to be forced to think about my supply lines"

Nathan B. Forrest, Tennessee, autodidact: " It's a bloody damn mod and I like that"

Robert E Lee, Virginia, Icon of a Nation : "With SVF, I may strike these people a blow, even with Ewell and Anderson"

Ulysses S Grant, Illinois, meatgrinder : "I've unconditionnally surrendered myself to the charms of SVF mod"

You make me smile a lot :thumbsup:

Mosby
Lieutenant

Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:44 pm

Great mod!

Was a bit worried that I would get a step wrong, but the install was very quick and easy.
Already a few turns into a game against the Union, and I'm loving the changes that you've made.

Thanks Clovis
"Have you got the rascal?" "No but he has got you!"

Ebbingford

Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:44 am

Just started playing SVF with patch 1.13b, Union v AI. Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, or if I'm posting in wrong place. (I don't know if its to do with the mod or not.) Sorry for either :)

Anyway, only a small thing, I just had "Evt_txt_KentuckySecedes1861" appear in the New York Herald instead of the text message.
Attached save and log.

Haven't played AACW for ages, so thought I'd give your mod a try Clovis after reading through your thread on it, it sounded good. If I was wearing a hat I would take it off to you for all your hard work on this :hat:
Attachments
eventtxt.rar
(279.95 KiB) Downloaded 228 times

Pelok
Corporal

Shermans?

Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:18 pm

Hi Clovis!

I have two questons:

In '62 late july a second gen. Sherman appeared on the Union side. He had no portraits and very low values. Is he a bug or there was a less famous Sherman in the civil war?

Another question: R. Mitchell and Robert B. Mitchell are the same?

Thanks and good night!

Meagher
Sergeant

Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:33 am

Hi Clovis,

I am really enjoying your mod. Thanks for all your work. I'm playing as the CSA and I like the shortage of war supplies. The AI has been conservative so far, so the lack of artillery isn't too bad.

I noticed that some graphics files didn't seem to install correctly. The Vicksburg regions are not displayed properly. How can I fix this? Thanks.

Krec
Sergeant

Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:56 am

sry to rant but i cant get this mod to work for nothing. I would ask to please make a simple 1 unzip file. This multi step stuff is for the birds. Most of us are simpletons just one step away from a caveman so anything past one step is one too far. ARG!! ok the stuff patches all way to the end then..........i get a little message saying the // is not a readable command and as such no path can be found. I tried for 3 hours and thats it for me. I would love to play this mod but i am having a heck of a time installing it. and yes i have VISta pc of crap OS . i know go back to xp and all that stuff. i am a self taught knucklehead who only uses computers to play wargames and i really dont care how they work and as such this stuff drives me nuts. :bonk: ill be playing 1.13b or 1.14 in the mean time. btw mods looks awesome!!

please advise

MrT
Colonel

Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:00 pm

i had that problem too, but my solution was to:-

SVF1 to F:/ Program Files/ AACW/Struggle for a Vast future folder
SVF2 to F:/ Program Files/ AACW/Struggle for a Vast future folder/Gamedata
SVF3 to F:/ Program Files/ AACW/Struggle for a Vast future folder/ Graphics

installed it like that and works fine now. (was wrote on page2 or so i think)

Krec
Sergeant

Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:41 am

i did that also, same problem, the batch runs all the too the end the says // is not a command . ive spent 4 hours on this thing and wont spend another min until a simple , single zip no brainer patch is made . :wacko:

Krec
Sergeant

Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:09 am

ok , i think i got it loaded but now upon launch ...............Critical error........ :bonk:

Krec
Sergeant

Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:23 am

ok, remember my cave man referal, i stand by it and not only that but i am now an official dunderhead too. i said more then one step is one step to much, well..... putting 3 different zips into 3 different folders which is in a different folder is way to much for a guy like me. Guess what .......it only took me 5 hours to read and with the help of a few on this board to FINALLY figure it out!!

YEPPPIE :thumbsup: i am like a pig in slop and i will get back to you after i hunt down some rebs and relish this wonderful pc of work. ty for mod , great stuff.

MrT
Colonel

Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:06 am

congratulations this is a mod thats well worth the effort!

Big Muddy

Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:53 pm

Krec wrote:ok, remember my cave man referal, i stand by it and not only that but i am now an official dunderhead too. i said more then one step is one step to much, well..... putting 3 different zips into 3 different folders which is in a different folder is way to much for a guy like me. Guess what .......it only took me 5 hours to read and with the help of a few on this board to FINALLY figure it out!!

YEPPPIE :thumbsup: i am like a pig in slop and i will get back to you after i hunt down some rebs and relish this wonderful pc of work. ty for mod , great stuff.

I respect you determination and congrats :thumbsup: , now that you've got it, it should be no problem in the future. Hopefully Clovis will make it one step for the next version.

Very early on, you would have to extract the files to desktop and apply them manually.

Paul Roberts

Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:50 pm

Hi all,

I've been away from AACW for some months (job hunting, long story), but I've been keeping an eye on the game and this mod particularly.

With 1.14 apparently about to go official, is there some chance that SVF will be updated to this version of AACW? (Crosses fingers!)

Paul

stegosarus_army
Sergeant

Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:32 am

i hope SVF will be updated, but Clovis hasnt been around for months and I hope that doesnt mean suppost has discontinued.

Clovis

Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:04 pm

SVF 1.1: provisional version for 1.15 update

What's new?

1) works with 1.15 AACW
2) changed a bit the Forward in Virginia event: USA has to win a large battle causing CSA to lose 1 NM before the 15 of August 1861
3) fixed some oddities
4) introduced new events reducing each years the number of "free" conscripts each side gets by turn. Reflecting the lowering of enthusiasm, it will force players to rely more and more on high bounties and conscription.
5) tried to adapt AI to 1.15.

The last point is a work in progress.
[LEFT]Disabled
[CENTER][LEFT]
[/LEFT]
[LEFT]SVF news: http://struggleformodding.wordpress.com/

[/LEFT]
[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

Dunhill_BKK
Sergeant

Critical error log report.

Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:09 pm

Hi Clovis, here is the log file for the critical error I had when I tried to runthe latest files.

Cheers,
Attachments

[The extension txt has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Clovis

Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:27 pm

Dunhill_BKK wrote:Hi Clovis, here is the log file for the critical error I had when I tried to runthe latest files.

Cheers,

Fixed. Updated install files.
[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

StatboyVT
Sergeant

Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:53 pm

I got the same log file as Dunhill. Then I reinstalled with your new files and, got the same error messages at the loading screen...

2:38:31 PM [Critical ] TListRegionDefs.Create Regions definitions have some discrepancies, make sure that 1 - the regions UID are numbered in sequence, 2 - Start from zero
2:38:31 PM [Error ] TRegionDefs.Create Region 1510 West Texas is not attached to any Grand Area
2:38:31 PM [Error ] TRegionDefs.Create Region 1510 West Texas is not attached to any Mid Area
2:38:31 PM [Error ] TRegionDefs.Create Region 1527 New Kent, VA is not attached to any Grand Area
2:38:31 PM [Error ] TRegionDefs.Create Region 1527 New Kent, VA is not attached to any Mid Area

This time however, the game did start, and I began a campaign as the South. But when I tried to move units to Sumpter from Charleston, I got the following error, and then the game crashed...

2:42:53 PM [Error ] TPathNode.GetNodeCost The Node of UID 274 is adjacent to itself! Check the region files for an erroneous linkage or jumplink.

Perhaps AGEOD made some changes to regions in 1.14 or 1.15 that you haven't accounted for?

At any rate, thanks for coming back. 1.15 was big improvement, but SVF with 1.13b was still what I was playing with. Youdaman!

Clovis

Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:11 pm

StatboyVT wrote:I got the same log file as Dunhill. Then I reinstalled with your new files and, got the same error messages at the loading screen...

2:38:31 PM [Critical ] TListRegionDefs.Create Regions definitions have some discrepancies, make sure that 1 - the regions UID are numbered in sequence, 2 - Start from zero
2:38:31 PM [Error ] TRegionDefs.Create Region 1510 West Texas is not attached to any Grand Area
2:38:31 PM [Error ] TRegionDefs.Create Region 1510 West Texas is not attached to any Mid Area
2:38:31 PM [Error ] TRegionDefs.Create Region 1527 New Kent, VA is not attached to any Grand Area
2:38:31 PM [Error ] TRegionDefs.Create Region 1527 New Kent, VA is not attached to any Mid Area

This time however, the game did start, and I began a campaign as the South. But when I tried to move units to Sumpter from Charleston, I got the following error, and then the game crashed...

2:42:53 PM [Error ] TPathNode.GetNodeCost The Node of UID 274 is adjacent to itself! Check the region files for an erroneous linkage or jumplink.

Perhaps AGEOD made some changes to regions in 1.14 or 1.15 that you haven't accounted for?

At any rate, thanks for coming back. 1.15 was big improvement, but SVF with 1.13b was still what I was playing with. Youdaman!

No, I just messed up when I uploaded the files. The problem is tied with the new region in Virginia; the install process created 2 regions numbered 137.

Please delete your SVF folder, download the SVF files once again, and install a new time the mod.

Thanks for the kind words. 1.15 core Ai is much better than the old ones, a bit overaggressive but that seems to be easily tweakable.
[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

StatboyVT
Sergeant

Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:32 pm

Clovis wrote:No, I just messed up when I uploaded the files. The problem is tied with the new region in Virginia; the install process created 2 regions numbered 137.

Please delete your SVF folder, download the SVF files once again, and install a new time the mod.

Thanks for the kind words. 1.15 core Ai is much better than the old ones, a bit overaggressive but that seems to be easily tweakable.

Great, seems to be working now. Thanks!

Clovis

Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:30 pm

StatboyVT wrote:Great, seems to be working now. Thanks!

Hope all will this time work as intended... ;)
[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

domlin
Conscript

Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:08 pm

Hey clovis!

Wonderful mod, really improves the game and keeps me interested! I had a question that you might be able to answer about the leader model files. I wanted to adjust some values here and there for individual leaders to my personal tastes and saw a line about combat death chance, do you know how this feature works? It's set to 100 for 3* jackson and others, just curious if that's a 100% chance of death when they get into combat or if 100 represents another percent value.

Thanks

Clovis

Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:23 pm

domlin wrote:Hey clovis!

Wonderful mod, really improves the game and keeps me interested! I had a question that you might be able to answer about the leader model files. I wanted to adjust some values here and there for individual leaders to my personal tastes and saw a line about combat death chance, do you know how this feature works? It's set to 100 for 3* jackson and others, just curious if that's a 100% chance of death when they get into combat or if 100 represents another percent value.

Thanks

Thanks.

For now, these lines aren't working, that's just some try I did and I've forgotten to remove. I know how to make it work but as this feature will be officially introduced with Rise of Prussia, I'm waiting the ROP release to fully implement it and to explain how it works.
[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

Clovis

Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:33 pm

New provisional version

What's new?

Fixed some oddities

Worked a bit more on CSA AI

Introduced a new event: Halleck commander in chief : from august 62, if Halleck is at washington, US player will get randomly a very small increase of unit cohesion values in one theater. This event highlights the real Halleck's value as administrator and gives to US player a chance to give him this role.
[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

domlin
Conscript

Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:58 pm

Clovis,

Thanks for responding to my post earlier, cleared things up for me.

I noticed an odd CSA AI move in my latest game (the SVF 1.15 version before your latest), as soon as Charleston WV became an objective, Athena sent the whole CSA Army of the Potomac after it, giving McDowell a clear road to Washington.

Situation of note.
I pushed Beauregard out of Manassas, thus was in control of that VP.
I play on normal agressiveness, +1 Activation, + 2 Fog of War Bonus.

I'm not sure what log files you would need from me, just let me know. Quite possibly you already addressed this in your newest CSA AI work, I just wanted to give you a heads up.

Thanks!

Clovis

Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:19 pm

domlin wrote:Clovis,

Thanks for responding to my post earlier, cleared things up for me.

I noticed an odd CSA AI move in my latest game (the SVF 1.15 version before your latest), as soon as Charleston WV became an objective, Athena sent the whole CSA Army of the Potomac after it, giving McDowell a clear road to Washington.

Situation of note.
I pushed Beauregard out of Manassas, thus was in control of that VP.
I play on normal agressiveness, +1 Activation, + 2 Fog of War Bonus.

I'm not sure what log files you would need from me, just let me know. Quite possibly you already addressed this in your newest CSA AI work, I just wanted to give you a heads up.

Thanks!

I need mostly for AI the AI log file in the SVF/logs directory.

My AI isn't a genius and there are yet many things to improve and I will look at.

But in any case the AI will ever do sometimes unexpected moves in SVF. Firts because the AACW AI is built to adopt different strategies sometimes, and because SVF AI events have too some variations to avoid predictability.

I've played against CSA several times since I've upgraded SVF to 1.15. never the CSA AI has sent a whole army in WV. Usually it launches a small scale attack with a few brigades under Johnston's command. One time, Beauragard led the whole army to Fort Monroe on the coast. generally, Beauregard is sitting at Manassas or attacking Harper's Ferry. So it's possible in your game CSA AI to have gotten a more offensive attitude by events and so has selected a small garrison in the vicinity.
[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

domlin
Conscript

Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:55 pm

Here is my CSA AI log.
Attachments

[The extension txt has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Clovis

Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:24 pm

here the possible choices for Beauragard's army in your last turn

11:39:36 AM (Reporting) List of Agendas for 1002141 Army of the Potomac, 125 Culpeper, VA, Pow:431, Count: 16(l 6/L 9/S 2)
11:39:36 AM (Reporting) Agenda 1 : Agenda: Keep Position, Value: 27347, Region: 125 Culpeper, VA
11:39:36 AM (Reporting) Agenda 2 : Agenda: Attack, Value: 6750, Region: 458 Tyler, WV
11:39:36 AM (Reporting) Agenda 3 : Agenda: Attack, Value: 16698, Region: 111 Prince George's, MD
11:39:36 AM (Reporting) Agenda 4 : Agenda: Attack, Value: 4050, Region: 97 New Castle, DE
11:39:36 AM (Reporting) Agenda 5 : Agenda: Attack, Value: 3360, Region: 462 Hancock, WV
11:39:36 AM (Reporting) Agenda 6 : Agenda: Attack, Value: 3640, Region: 106 Baltimore, MD
11:39:36 AM (Reporting) Agenda 7 : Agenda: Defend, Value: 1550, Region: 119 Stafford, VA
11:39:36 AM (Reporting) Agenda 8 : Agenda: Attack, Value: 3080, Region: 106 Baltimore, MD
11:39:36 AM (Reporting) Agenda 9 : Agenda: Defend, Value: 5412, Region: 1474 Harper's Ferry, WV
11:39:36 AM (Reporting) Choosen Agenda: Agenda: Attack, Value: 6750, Region: 458 Tyler, WV
11:39:36 AM (Reporting) 1002141-Army of the Potomac Power:431 Health:95% Culpeper, VA>Tyler, WV Mission:Attack Fitness:75% Need:271 Threat:217 GoalValue: 6750

Possible missions are evaluated. In your game the hightest value is Keep Position, Value: 27347, Region: 125 Culpeper, VA, the chosen mission having a rather low value:Choosen Agenda: Agenda: Attack, Value: 6750, Region: 458 Tyler, WV. In clear, it's a perfect example of AGEOD AI behaviour: it chooses from time to time a low value mission rather than the logical one...
[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

Return to “AACW Mods”