Nameless One
Civilian

A couple of newbie questions

Wed May 07, 2008 4:37 pm

1) I've read in the manual that empires can play with their taxation rate. How is this done? I can't find a way to change tax rate for either Roman Empire in the campaign and there is no other mention of this in any other part of the manual.

2) Sometimes I can't seem to train units although I have enough gold and levies. Is there anything else the units require other than gold and levies? And before someone asks, no, there is no other unit already being trained in the province.

3) Can anything be done with APs other than accumulating them for empire maintenance.

4) Is there any way to see the numbers and types of embassy tokens I have?

5) Heretic missionaries often appear, seemingly controlled by one of the Roman Empires (playing the campaign with red team), but I can't move them or tell them to do anything. Is there anything that can be done with them other than trying to kill them with strategems?

6) Leaders of both Roman Empires are Arians. Can the Empires be converted to Arianism and is it a good idea?

7) My Franks got 2 hordes at some point. These hordes have options to settle and construct towns, but they are grayed out. I've tried moving them to a Western Roman province I gave them in Foedus and also to an independent province to the east but the options still remained grayed out.

I'm sorry if some of these features are explained in the manual already. I failed to find them. I can't read the beta-maunal pdf while playing because the game doesn't support alt+tabbing and reading it on cell phone is really difficult. Thanks in advance for any answers.

Tamas

Thu May 08, 2008 1:53 pm

1: If I remember correctly, there is a separate "budget" window, where -if you are an Empire- get to set the tax.

5: No, I think you can only "make them go away" with strategems. That is not so much of a problem with heretics, try and stop the muslim missonaries as Byzantium. :niark:

7: Your Franks are not aged enough as Barbarians. Later that option should become available.

alexander seil

Thu May 08, 2008 3:59 pm

Point by point -

1) I've read in the manual that empires can play with their taxation rate. How is this done? I can't find a way to change tax rate for either Roman Empire in the campaign and there is no other mention of this in any other part of the manual.

This is done every couple of years when the administrative spending screen comes up (you can access it for a few months before that - it's the scepter icon under Administrative view). The tax slider is in the upper right-hand corner.

2) Sometimes I can't seem to train units although I have enough gold and levies. Is there anything else the units require other than gold and levies? And before someone asks, no, there is no other unit already being trained in the province.

I believe that there is a hard limit on the number of troops (higher for Empires) that is based on population. Could this be the issue?

3) Can anything be done with APs other than accumulating them for empire maintenance.

No, the administrative points are only there for kingdom/empire administrative phases. I don't think they affect anything else.

4) Is there any way to see the numbers and types of embassy tokens I have?

There is a page in the ledger listing those. To access the ledger, click on the character representing your country (the guy with a shield on the left).

5) Heretic missionaries often appear, seemingly controlled by one of the Roman Empires (playing the campaign with red team), but I can't move them or tell them to do anything. Is there anything that can be done with them other than trying to kill them with strategems?

Depending on your GameRule file settings, you might be able to move them around, at least. But, generally, they're displayed as belonging to whatever country they spawn from. They're not "on your side," though.

6) Leaders of both Roman Empires are Arians. Can the Empires be converted to Arianism and is it a good idea?

You cannot convert, regularly, to a minor religion (or to a major one if you already belong to another major religion). However, there could be events doing that. Now, for the Roman Empire, I'm afraid the only way to convert to Arianism would be to somehow get everyone in the Empire (the whole population) to be Arian, I think an auto-conversion event would kick in at that point.

7) My Franks got 2 hordes at some point. These hordes have options to settle and construct towns, but they are grayed out. I've tried moving them to a Western Roman province I gave them in Foedus and also to an independent province to the east but the options still remained grayed out.

I *think* those options only become active once you found a kingdom. You can't settle while still a barbarian.

calvinus

Thu May 08, 2008 4:03 pm

alexander seil wrote:2) Sometimes I can't seem to train units although I have enough gold and levies. Is there anything else the units require other than gold and levies? And before someone asks, no, there is no other unit already being trained in the province.

I believe that there is a hard limit on the number of troops (higher for Empires) that is based on population. Could this be the issue?

Exactly so! It depends on the max number of troops set in the Nation Groups game DBs... I remember...

calvinus

Thu May 08, 2008 4:06 pm

alexander seil wrote:7) My Franks got 2 hordes at some point. These hordes have options to settle and construct towns, but they are grayed out. I've tried moving them to a Western Roman province I gave them in Foedus and also to an independent province to the east but the options still remained grayed out.

I *think* those options only become active once you found a kingdom. You can't settle while still a barbarian.

It's almost so... As soon you start the transformation towards the Kingdom status, you may access to these button.

calvinus

Thu May 08, 2008 4:12 pm

calvinus wrote:Exactly so! It depends on the max number of troops set in the Nation Groups game DBs... I remember...

Oops... I was wrong. It was so in beta-version. Then we moved to a lighter system, linked to the population level, as alexander_seil wrote. :cwboy:

alexander seil

Thu May 08, 2008 5:06 pm

Actually, Calvinus, I've had a question as well - if I disable player control of heretic missionaries in GameRules, do they still move around/convert provinces? Didn't have a chance to test that.

calvinus

Thu May 08, 2008 5:34 pm

Yes, they are AI driven. Indeed, the GameRules parameter is meant to "help" players in such a way: you can avoid this heretic missionaries cause trouble inside your own territory by sending them "against" your enemies.

alexander seil

Thu May 08, 2008 6:47 pm

calvinus wrote:Yes, they are AI driven. Indeed, the GameRules parameter is meant to "help" players in such a way: you can avoid this heretic missionaries cause trouble inside your own territory by sending them "against" your enemies.

Ahh, thank you. I'll leave it off, because I'd consider it cheating if I used it :innocent:

Another question, however - do the heretic *bishops* do anything?

rstu917
Civilian

Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:09 am

His hard flat, stomach moved in and out with each tremendous hump of his hips. I panted anxiously as an irrepressible excitement took over my body. I began kim kardashian sex tape thrusting my pelvis to meet each grind of his bulging crotch against mine.

Return to “Great Invasions”