spiritedenergy
Conscript

634 Ad Ctd

Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:14 am

I was playing as the red, and after few years (about 3) i had a nasty feeze and CTD. I'm playing with Vista, btw.

P.s.: what's going on with the byzantine empire in that scenario? The all empire was revolting and I couldn't figure it out why :grr:

calvinus

Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:01 am

spiritedenergy wrote:I was playing as the red, and after few years (about 3) i had a nasty feeze and CTD. I'm playing with Vista, btw.

This game is not compatible with Windows Vista.
You are lucky being able to launch the game (maybe you did some trick?), because you should get an alert popup window at game start, and the game should be quitted immediately.

Is the CTD recurrent, always at the same date?

If yes, please contact me via private message, so that I can give you my email address. You will have to send me the savegame done just before the recurrent crash.

If not, provided this crash is not caused by Vista compatibility, I can give you the usual suggestions:
- if possible don't keep resident programs (consuming much RAM) working in background while the game runs
- disable antivirus and firewall, if any (remember that some nasty antivirus, like norton, are totally not compatible with GI, and have to be uninstalled)
- play at LOW game speed
- disable the autosave
- if you wish, you can even disable the sound & musics (in the setup tool), so saving a lot of RAM...

In fact, Vista itself has a very big RAM requirement, so this game, provided it should not run (very strange!), could suffer from a major RAM need for sure running with Vista, being highly unstable if you don't have a good bank of memory.

Also, be sure you are playing with the Patch 1.07b installed... In fact, if you read the forum, you will find that this patch fixes a major stability issue that was caused by the serial-key-protection-tool.

spiritedenergy wrote:P.s.: what's going on with the byzantine empire in that scenario? The all empire was revolting and I couldn't figure it out why :grr:

At the start of the scenario, a historical event is triggered, of religious nature I remember... You surely chose the "wrong" option, that one that causes so many turmoils in the empire! :niark: (Probably, you did not read carefully the consequences of your choice :innocent: )

spiritedenergy
Conscript

Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:53 pm

calvinus wrote:This game is not compatible with Windows Vista.
You are lucky being able to launch the game (maybe you did some trick?), because you should get an alert popup window at game start, and the game should be quitted immediately.

Is the CTD recurrent, always at the same date?

If yes, please contact me via private message, so that I can give you my email address. You will have to send me the savegame done just before the recurrent crash.

If not, provided this crash is not caused by Vista compatibility, I can give you the usual suggestions:
- if possible don't keep resident programs (consuming much RAM) working in background while the game runs
- disable antivirus and firewall, if any (remember that some nasty antivirus, like norton, are totally not compatible with GI, and have to be uninstalled)
- play at LOW game speed
- disable the autosave
- if you wish, you can even disable the sound & musics (in the setup tool), so saving a lot of RAM...

In fact, Vista itself has a very big RAM requirement, so this game, provided it should not run (very strange!), could suffer from a major RAM need for sure running with Vista, being highly unstable if you don't have a good bank of memory.

Also, be sure you are playing with the Patch 1.07b installed... In fact, if you read the forum, you will find that this patch fixes a major stability issue that was caused by the serial-key-protection-tool.

At the start of the scenario, a historical event is triggered, of religious nature I remember... You surely chose the "wrong" option, that one that causes so many turmoils in the empire! :niark: (Probably, you did not read carefully the consequences of your choice :innocent: )

it was running good with Vista, maybe Vista was patched or something? I

I don't know if the CTD is constant, but it often happens with this game :p leure:

I chose to shift to monotelism, which is the historical option (i guess it's another name for iconoclastism), then for a mistake I hit the button "no tolerance" or something :siffle:

by the way I have 1 GB of RAM, and I have a boxed version of GI (2005), i thought patch 1.07b was only for the downloaded version

JMass
Corporal

Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:29 am

spiritedenergy wrote:I chose to shift to monotelism, ... (i guess it's another name for iconoclastism),

No, it is quite different. Monotelism was ideated to agree with monophysism.

then for a mistake I hit the button "no tolerance" or something :siffle:

Monophysists was a little against "no tolerance".
:niark:
"Oh my lords, my brothers, my sons, the everlasting honour of Christians is in your hands."
[SIZE="1"]Αυτοκράτορ Κωνσταντίνος ΙΑ' Δραγάσης Παλαιολόγος[/size]

Now playing, testing or modding: AJE-BoR, Ancient Warfare, CMBN, CMFI, CTGW, FoG, RUS, Squad Battles, WWII-Europe
Idling: a lot of games

calvinus

Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:42 am

spiritedenergy wrote:it was running good with Vista, maybe Vista was patched or something? I

I don't know if the CTD is constant, but it often happens with this game :p leure:

Recurrent means that the CtD occurs alwais at the same date.
Windows Vista compatibility is not guaranteed, even if you successfully patched the OS in some way I do not know, and mainly considering you have "only" 1GB RAM. I write "only" because, to my knowledge, Vista RAM requirements are about 2GB to work properly...

Of course, this does not mean that I do not want to help you :cwboy:

Indeed, patch 1.07a and 1.07b, even thought are meant to work with the serial-key-copy-protected version that can be bought via digital download in the AgeOD site, do contain some minor RAM usage improvements that are absent in the 1.07 version you have on your PC.

Well, considering that you are suffering from the Vista low-RAM problems, these minor improvements that should be not sensible under Windows XP, could be instead sensible under Vista. At least I hope so...

Let me think about a solution, ok? Maybe I could send you an updated version, hoping it will work more stable under your patched Vista.

By the way, if you remember how you successfully patched Vista in order to have Great Invasions working, it could be nice if you "share" your knowledge with other players :sourcil:

spiritedenergy
Conscript

Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:48 pm

calvinus wrote:Recurrent means that the CtD occurs alwais at the same date.
Windows Vista compatibility is not guaranteed, even if you successfully patched the OS in some way I do not know, and mainly considering you have "only" 1GB RAM. I write "only" because, to my knowledge, Vista RAM requirements are about 2GB to work properly...

Of course, this does not mean that I do not want to help you :cwboy:

Indeed, patch 1.07a and 1.07b, even thought are meant to work with the serial-key-copy-protected version that can be bought via digital download in the AgeOD site, do contain some minor RAM usage improvements that are absent in the 1.07 version you have on your PC.

Well, considering that you are suffering from the Vista low-RAM problems, these minor improvements that should be not sensible under Windows XP, could be instead sensible under Vista. At least I hope so...

Let me think about a solution, ok? Maybe I could send you an updated version, hoping it will work more stable under your patched Vista.

By the way, if you remember how you successfully patched Vista in order to have Great Invasions working, it could be nice if you "share" your knowledge with other players :sourcil:

i do not think that Vista is so memory demanding... all I know it's that it makes a better use of the RAM among applications, and tries to exploit the RAM as much as it can.
However I have another stick of RAM which I'll install as soon as i find the right screwdriver for my computer :bonk:

i didn't patch Vista, it patches itself through Windows Update :innocent:

spiritedenergy
Conscript

Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:50 pm

JMass wrote:No, it is quite different. Monotelism was ideated to agree with monophysism.

Monophysists was a little against "no tolerance".
:niark:

ok I screwed up then :fleb:

also i noticed i have many enemies... Bulgars, Avars and Arabs the big ones. I got allied with the Arabs, but after they conquered Persia they attacked me... is this hardcoded? I think so. :grr:

calvinus

Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:27 am

spiritedenergy wrote:ok I screwed up then :fleb:

also i noticed i have many enemies... Bulgars, Avars and Arabs the big ones. I got allied with the Arabs, but after they conquered Persia they attacked me... is this hardcoded? I think so. :grr:

Not hardcoded! :8o:

Do you really think Arabs and Byzantines could be regarded as "best friends"? :niark:

Return to “GI Technical support”