whitewolf1981
Private

*All* bios complete! (see attachment)

Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:18 am

This community has helped me so much, now it's time to give...

Bios added for the remaining 163 (!) generals. Yes, it includes the British, French and Mexican ones for which I could find information.

Observations:

1) I've tried to stick to the format adopted in this forum and in-game. The only exception I made is the age. If a general is born in 1830 and he comes up in 1864, showing that he's 30 is false. So I did away with the age altogether. The date of birth is still there though.

2) On two occasions I had to refer to the African-American population in the U.S. "African American" or "Afro-American" are not appropriate terms for the time period; "Negroes" sound racist-biologist. I used the word "blacks". Please give me a better suggestion.

3) English is not my native language, but I hope I did a fine job.

4) The texts are only available in English. If you are playing the game in another language, they won't show up.

And now... Fifteen Fun Facts that you will read in the bios!! (just to get you a wee bit excited)

Fun Fact One: The North had two generals with the last name of Sherman: William Tecumseh, whom we all know, and Thomas Wess (also with the initials W.T., but in reverse order). Were they related? Nope.

Fun Fact Two: Samuel Wylie Crawford commanded several batteries at Fort Sumter. However, he had no artillery training whatsoever... he was the fort's doctor!

Fun Fact Three: The North had a general called Archimedes Torbert. That, I think, qualifies as a fun fact.

Fun Fact Four: Wlodzimierz Bonawentura Krzyzanowski was a Polish immigrant to Virginia, where he was a railroad worker. By all accounts he loved Virginia and had a good life there, so why did he join the North and recruit a Polish Legion in New York City? Because he admired Abraham Lincoln.
Oh, and he became a general for the North as well.

Fun Fact Five: Edward Ferrero was well-known throughout the U.S. even before becoming a Civil War general. But his fame had nothing to do with war. He was the owner of several dance halls, a dance teacher to the wealthy Northerners and the creator of some of the most popular dances of the century.

Fun Fact Six: Alvin Peterson Hovey proposed in 1850 that an amendment be added to the Indiana Constitution prohibiting that free black people should live in or travel through Indiana, essentially banning them from the state.
The legislature passed the amendment (!). So did the population of Indiana through a referendum (!!). The U.S. Supreme Court struck down the amendment as unconstitutional. Now here's a question for you: for which side did Alvin fight for, becoming a general in the process? If you said "The Confederacy", you were... wrong!

Fun Fact Seven: Charles, Prince of Polignac, was a French noble who fought on the side of the Confederates.

Fun Fact Eight: Teophilus Garrard was from Kentucky. He owned nine slaves at the start of the war. He became a general for ... the North!

Fun Fact Nine: At the start of the war, Jacob Dolson Cox was a bank clerk who despised the institution of slavery. He fought on the side of the North and eventually rose to become a general. Nothing unusual so far. However, Cox was not an American. Prior to 1861 he had spent all of his life in Montreal, Canada!

Fun Fact Ten: Northern general Robert Sanford Foster was a tinner before the war (tinner = a person who works in the manufacturing and polishing of tin). In 1861 he was named the leader of a militia unit in Vernon, Indiana. Four years later, well... he was a general. Only in the USA, I guess.

Fun Fact Eleven: Originally, Northern general Albin Francisco Schoepf had been an officer in the Austro-Hungarian army in the 1840s. After emigrating to the U.S. he worked as a hotel doorman in order to make a living.

Fun Fact Twelve: In 1855, a U.S. Army officer named David McMurtrie Gregg was asked to travel to Fort Vancouver in the Northwest. His 160 soldiers were surrounded at one point by 1,000 Indians. He made his way through with few casualties after a battle which lasted for three days (.. Gregg later became a general for the North).

Fun Fact Thirteen: In the early 1850s, James Shields was the auditor of Illinois. Lincoln attacked him with a series of scathing articles. Shields was offended and called for a duel. When the two men met, their seconds ( = people in charge with seeing that the rules were being respected; witnesses of sorts) persuaded them to give it up. James Shields later ended up serving under Lincoln, as general for the North!

Fun Fact Fourteen: Northern general G.W. Morgan had quit West Point in the 1840s because of bad grades (either that, or he would have been expelled).

Fun Fact Fifteen: Romeyn Ayres's mother-in-law became more famous than him. While he was a Northern general, she opened several hospitals for... Confederate soldiers in Richmond! She was a Southerner!

Please let me know if something works badly. I've tested things, but still...

How to install (these instructions are also in the attached zip):

1) Make a backup of the LocalStrings_ACW.csv file in the ACW\Settings folder.

2) Copy the LocalStrings_ACW.csv in this .zip to that folder.

3) Make a backup of the Models folder from your ACW/GameData folder. Best way to do it is to click on folder once, select "Copy", then select "Paste", which would create a new folder called "Copy of Models".

4) Copy the "Models" folder from this .zip to the ACW/GameData folder. Alternatively, you could doubleclick on the "Models" folder in the game's directory and copy there the .mdl files contained in the "Models" folder in this zip.

5) How do you know it works? When in-game, left click on the star(s) to the left of a general's name in the lower right of the screen. A panel appears. Move your mouse over the star(s) in the upper left of the panel, next to the general's name. The bio should show up.
Attachments
Final Leader Bios 1.0.zip
(692.19 KiB) Downloaded 853 times

PhilThib

Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:37 am

Bravo !! :thumbsup: :coeurs:

malthaussen
Sergeant

Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:21 am

Nice package. However, you missed at least one general's bio: Charles Hamilton of the USA. There may be others -- I noticed in playing before this patch that some generals had no bio pop-up at all, while others had one that said "no bio available." Presumably, the former had nothing to point to.

-- Mal
"Of two choices, I always take the third."

marecone

Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:45 am

Great. I will install it tonight. Thank you
Forrest said something about killing a Yankee for each of his horses that they shot. In the last days of the war, Forrest had killed 30 of the enemy and had 30 horses shot from under him. In a brief but savage conflict, a Yankee soldier "saw glory for himself" with an opportunity to kill the famous Confederate General... Forrest killed the fellow. Making 31 Yankees personally killed, and 30 horses lost...

He remarked, "I ended the war a horse ahead."

Citizen X
AGEod Veteran

Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:34 pm

whitewolf1981 wrote:
2) On two occasions I had to refer to the African-American population in the U.S. "African American" or "Afro-American" are not appropriate terms for the time period; "Negroes" sound racist-biologist. I used the word "blacks". Please give me a better suggestion.

In a scientific text the correct term would be the term that is used now. Thus "African American" would be what I chose. Save historic quotes, where you would leave it as it had been expressed then. Same applies if you want to raise the impression of a contemporary record.

barbu
Captain

Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:11 am

Despite having a different forum name now, I am the person who started the thread - although I don't know how to prove it ... - and I would like the thread to be removed/deleted and the file removed/deleted for 2 reasons:

1. The .csv file modifications make it possibly incompatibility with future patches.
2. There are several big bugs in it, possibly because of 1. above, which might mess your game. Look at Stand Watie's bio for an example.

Pat "Stonewall" Cleburne
General of the Army

Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:30 pm

I never new this was here. I always have to wikipedia the generals without bios but I guess this mod doesn't work anymore?

barbu
Captain

Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:11 am

It's buggy. I have no idea why, I respected the strings file format as much as I could, but :( .

FENRIS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:29 pm

just a post to eradicate the XRunner....
[color="#FF8C00"][/color]Eylau 1807

"Rendez-vous, général, votre témérité vous a emporté trop loin ; vous êtes dans nos dernières lignes." (un russe)

" Regardez un peu ces figures-là si elles veulent se rendre !" (Lepic)[color="#FF8C00"][/color][I]
[/I]

Lindi
General

Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:22 pm

A fast google translate for this bios in a futur patch for French people ?

plz .... :love:

koningtiger
Lieutenant

Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:58 am

Is this included in Civil War 2?

Thanks.

Return to “ACW Generals Biographers”