Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Fri May 09, 2008 2:33 pm

[font="Courier New"]To the White House of the Confederacy

President Jefferson Davis
Mr. President,

I have reviewed the disposition of forces in my department and am happy to report that General Bohnam was easily able to brush aside some federal cavalry prior to securing the region surrounding Leesburg, VA and Loudon Heights. I believe this objective to have been key to holding the line in the east. The Army of the Potomac is now in a strong defensive position along the Harper's Ferry, Mannassas Line. The men have been ordered to dig in.

E.K. Smith has rested his men, and I believe, is ready for an advance on Grafton.

I thank the administration as well as congress for their support for Virginia and the calling up of several Militia regiments. This should secure the army's rear areas and make federal cavalry raids that much more brief if not non-existant.

It is worrisome that a large Federal Fleet now lays anchor outside our capital, but at this point it is something we cannot concern ourselves with. However I have a request for the future concerning defences which I will address in a moment.

First:

My Proposals for the coming weeks' operations:

For the Army of the Potomac

1. I propose we extend the Army's right flank to the area just north of Falmouth in Stafford County to cut off a federal advance in this direction. I would commission General Holmes with this responsibility.

2. A second option would be to attack what is arguably a vulnerable federal force in Alexandria. We could bring three corps (Including The Army HQ) to bear on the two divisions stationed there now...it would be a tough fight, but could be won. Securing the area would allow for consolidation of defenses all along the Potomac River.

For General Kirby Smith's Command

1. I propose he be allowed to conduct offensive operations with an ultimate goal of controlling Grafton, WV. I would only instruct General Smith to mount a very conservative assault of the region and if pressed beyond his capability, retreat.

2. I would also propose the option that General Smith withdrawal and Join general Jackson in Harper's Ferry to strengthen that position

3. I have also prepared orders that may strike a blow to Northern morale...ordering General Smith to bypass Grafton to the north and strike at Wheeling, which is sure to be lightly defended.

For Norfolk and James City

1. I have one request...since we have witnessed the ease with which the enemy has made passage up the James and to our capitol, I believe it prudent to construct gun emplacements in these two cities to discourage any further attempts up the James River. I would ask for naval guns, or perhaps some extra field artillery be sent. By now the enemy surely knows we are weakly defended in this area and may send a landing force....and at present there would be nothing we could do to stop it.

These are my reccommendations for the following 15 days of operations....I ask for your comments and for you approval. I anxiously await your response. And I humbly ask that be there anything I have forgotten to mention in this report...that I be so informed and allowed to draft reccommendations accordingly.

As always, your humble servant
General Robert E. Lee
Eastern Department of the Confederacy[/font]

Coregonas
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri May 09, 2008 6:45 pm

[font="Comic Sans MS"]
To: General Robert E. Lee

Your Report has been carefully revised... Hard to decide what are our best options.

About the main Army, we feel like both options are good. But an excellent idea is to try to get into alexandria.... If we could just advance to the city outskirts without a shot, it will put those federals into a problem...

Perhaps try a feint into the area with the best troops only, avoiding battle for a while and try to trench in the Alexandria outskirts.

Holmes and Bonham corps or just one of them could remain back as Second line support corps.

Well you decide what is best. It should be a high morale punch for us if we can achieve to get some troops in the outskirts of Alexandria!

About Smith division, again you decide, just we believe going deep into Wheeling is a too risky proposal... The only problem with them is they are finishing the supply assets, seems just for a couple weeks.

Another option could be keep Harpers Ferry just with a small garrison while sending Jackson to join them with the supply wagons...

I agree about garrisoning coastal areas with more artillery.

Unfortunately, we should wait a bit to get some extra time to prepare appropiate resources for more artillery.

I reccomend sending most of our troops raised in all the states under your command to Virginia (we desire some extra garrisons in the White House) just try to attach into appropiate brigades, including most of the artillery raised.

Extra troops raised during the next months could be used in coastal and second line garrisons.

Newly trained cavalry could be used to pursue raiders detected in the Virginia-Tennesse railroad, also to start protecting the main railroad areas all around.

Also, our generals in the Army should be assigned a direct command, perhaps assign them to leader our best brigades...

Your humble servant
J. Davis[/font]

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Fri May 09, 2008 7:38 pm

[font="Courier New"]Mr. President,

Comments received and would like to point out regarding Smith's operations in West Virginia. His supply woes will be quickly dealt with if he manages to capture either Grafton or Wheeling as they both harbor relatively large stocks of supply.

I have prepared my final orders for Smith's command. I believe he should attack Grafton, aiming to take the town directly. It is certainly a risky proposal, but In this instance I believe the risk to be appropriate. Time plays its hand against us. The northern war machine is not one to be taken lightly, and the lack of rails in West Virginia could severely hamper his overall war effort.

I would agree about sending Jackson to aid Smith, but I fear leaving The Shennendoah Valley lightly defended more than I do isolating a commander who has already shown a talent for survival in the wilderness with foraging. Mr President, I believe the time to strike is upon us. Grafton will fall.

For Virginia!

Yours with Compliments,
General Robert E. Lee

Coregonas
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri May 09, 2008 8:32 pm

[font="Comic Sans MS"]

I m also confident in our armies and officers capability!

If you feel tgats the best option lets go. I ll pray for General Smith success.

He has very capable troops, and yes Jackson seems has a too hard work defending an strategic position with so little troops.

Your humble servant
J. Davis[/font]

soloswolf
General of the Army

Sat May 10, 2008 1:50 am

Once my cavalry regiments have done sufficient damage to the rail sections they were ordered to disrupt, they will be brought back to safer environs for rest and remount.

I am pleased with the depth of their operations and believe it will assist us greatly in further operations.

Once the rosters of the newly actived regiments reach my headquarters, I will set my staff to coordinating all new commands in my theater and solidify our front.

Details to come.

Regards,
A.S. Johnston [/font]
My name is Aaron.

Knight of New Hampshire

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Sat May 10, 2008 5:49 am

Mr. President,

I have issued final orders for the following weeks' operations. I have come to a decision on two of our main fronts in the east.

I believe it best to extend the main army's line southeast with General Holmes' Corps. I arrived at this decision by virtue of the fact that the General still appears to remain somewhat inneffective in offensive maneuvre. I don't know why General Holmes insists on maintaining only a defensive posture in the face of the enemy, but he seems to believe the forces arrayed around Alexandria are far larger than my current intelligence. For the security of the Army, and of the Capitol, I believe it best not to gamble our troops away if in fact Holmes' assertions are right.

I have tasked him with setting up defensive positions north of Falmouth, VA.
Your reccommendation to march into Alexandria and attempt to bypass the defenders was seriously considered, but ultimately, I did not feel it would be the best course of action. I had a few reasons

1. If Holmes wasn't allowed to operate in such a way as to exert some form of control over the territory which he surely would have gained, he would very likely have been driven away in later weeks by an enemy able to quickly react to his every move.

2. Holmes' force was large enough that avoiding the enemy, should they have been positioned to attack, would have been impossible, and withholding his ability to operate at least defensively would surely have hindered his ability to achieve victory in battle.

In summary, I believe the most effective strategy is to maintain the defensive and protect all roads south. As much as it disturbs me to allow the enemy to keep the initiative, I believe we must be cautious.

General Smith has reported that his troops are readying for the advance on Grafton, WV. Militia regiments from across my department will converge upon Richmond within 13 days. All is in motion. God bless you and our great cause.

Your Humble Servant,
General Robert E. Lee

Coregonas
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu May 15, 2008 8:49 pm

[font="Comic Sans MS"]
To: General Albert S. Johnston ; General Robert E. Lee

Garrison policy
Due to limits on manpower, we cannot allow maintaining garrisons in all coastal/river small cities, so we can allow concentrating defense on those highly strategic or industrial. All troops still garrisoning small cities should be immediately send to the main front.

A couple of those cities should prepare some kind of fast reaction forces during the next months, at least half division size.

Those are the main cities allowed for permanent city garrisons: Fredericksburg, VA; Norfolk, VA; Wilmington, NC; Charleston, SC; Savannah, GA; Jacksonville, FL; Tallahassee, FL; Pensacola, FL, Mobile, AL; New Orleans, LA; Baton Rouge GA; Vicksburg, MS; Galveston, TX and Matagorda TX.

In case any unit should stay in any other city, it should be properly reported.

Your humble servant
J. Davis[/font]

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Fri May 16, 2008 3:29 pm

Mr. President,

Good news from West Virginia sir. General Smith has managed to capture Grafton without significant loss. His men are now resting in the town's outskirts taking on much needed supply and ammunition. There was a relatively large stock captured. roughly 123 crates of food, clothing and other items as well as some 80 or so crates of ammunition.

Smith wired my headquarters on August 22nd to inform me of the victory. He now requests reinforcements including some troops to hold the town. He has specifically, and ardently I might add, asked for cavalry to scout the area north of his position. I would like a chance to discuss with you what our next move in West Virginia should be. The options are plentiful. Wheeling is within striking distance, as is Pittsburgh. Surely by now the enemy knows Smith's advance is more than just a small raid.

I believe, at this early stage, we may still have the opportunity to strike a blow at northern morale and/or gain control of West Virginia.

I am seriously considering reinforcements for Smith's command. His operations will surely provide relief for General Johnston and his troops in Tennessee and Kentucky. I seek your council on this decision and would appreciate a response as hastily as it can be given. I look forward to discussing the issue with you Mr. President, for we may yet be able to secure a large part of Virginia that is rightfully ours....

Your humble Servant,
General Robert E. Lee

Coregonas
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat May 17, 2008 9:43 pm

[font="Comic Sans MS"]

We must Congratulate. All objectives have been achieved.

Main Objective for next weeks is holding all fronts, in order to bring most of our second line troops to the main fronts...

Garrisons in coastal areas, except those in main cities, are to be sent inmediatly to the main battle front, and used to fill up existing under strength brigades or create new ones. New units will be raised accordingly during the next months for garrison purposes.

All current riverine transports assignations have been cancelled, in order to better achieve this.

Generals Huger and Magruder are requested for assignment of divisional command. This is a priority now.

Our first new Artillery batteries are available. Most of them should be sent to the front areas. A couple of these could be sent to help assault the Federal Fort in the Gulf. Also, we need to prepare some naval defenses in the Richmond estuary.

Your humble servant
J. Davis[/font]

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Sun May 18, 2008 1:42 am

All orders received. Forces will hold their positions as ordered. In concurrence with your orders I have replied to Smith's request informing him to maintain his position, prepare for a Federal counter-attack and wait for further orders.

Mr. President I believe the main Army is in a very solid defensive line, all Generals are in good positions to support one another. I have received troubling reports however that General Jackson has fallen ill and has been rendered virtually useless. An attack on his position at Harper's Ferry is a concern and so I have ordered the 3rd Reserve Brigade at Lexington, VA to reinforce his small corps.

There has been little action to our front. It appears the enemy wishes to stay on the defensive in Maryland for the time being. I believe the valuable time being allowed will grant us the ability to train additional reinforcements for the main army. Currently there are approximately 10,000 additional troops being trained in Richmond to be added to the Army's ranks. I thank you for the extra guns. I have requisitioned at least one battery for use in Norfolk, VA to prevent further naval incursions. Extricating the federal fleet outside Richmond would appear to be a relative impossibility, but if he is, in a manner, trapped there, it could serve our cause well.

I am somewhat concerned at the brig spotted on the Rappohannock. I fear a Union flanking move here. I do not know how much time it may take him to aquire enough shallow draft ships to attack, but I believe it would be appropriate to send troops to Fredricksburg to begin entrenchments very soon.

All garrisons of cities deemed low priority have been sent to the high value locations along the coast....i.e. Wilmington, Charleston, and Savannah.

This is my report....I hope it finds you well Mr. President.

Yours with compliments,
General Robert E. Lee

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Sun May 18, 2008 6:24 pm

After thourough review of our current intelligence along the main front. I have decided that with the enemy in somewhat of an isolated position around Alexandria and with what appears to be insufficient command, it is time for a measured attack there to test the strength of the enemy's position. I have drafted orders for General Holmes to march north into Alexandria County, VA and probe for weaknesses in the federal position there. I've given General Beauregard and Bohnam orders to march to the sound of Holmes' guns if battle with Runyon's troops is joined. I believe with 3 seperate wings of our army, while admitedly understrength, combined, we could still prevail and possibly push the enemy back across the Potomac River.

I have ordered Holmes to be VERY cautious in his advance. If at any moment he feels his forces to be insufficient for an attack upon the enemy, he is directed to withdrawal.

In concurrence with this, the presence of a Union scouting craft outside Fredricksburg is a concern. I have ordered Bohnam's brigade of Magruder's division to be sent to Fredricksburg to prepare a defense there. The area is ripe for an attack and intelligence has also noted that where at one time there WERE 5 Union divisions to our immediate front, there are now only 4...which leads me to believe that an attack on Fredricksburg by water may be imminent and its defense now a top priority. I would ask for your approval of these orders and your thoughts.

Your humble servant,
General Robert E. Lee

Coregonas
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun May 18, 2008 6:30 pm

[font="Comic Sans MS"]

Here are some questions and conclusions in the main headquarters about the enemy moves reported.

Seem the federals did mobilize his main troops quickly without proper training, mostly militia battalions have been detected by all our scouts.

Nearly no new units have been detected in front of our Main Virginia Army.
However, a lot of troops have been reported in the Kentucky frontier. Seems as we responded well to this threat, as most our new troops were raised ready to march to the Tennessee area.

Smith division and our cavalry raids even confirm more this reports.

Seems as if the enemy is not preparing a full advance into Richmond through the manasas area.

We believe a lot of enemy units are hiding. Perhaps a corps sized one is preparing to disembark. Perhaps they are hiding their main army just behind the lines, so we can not see it...

As a lot of naval moves are pressing in the Richmond area, seems as if the federals want to disembark using their naval transport.

However, most of the transports have been detected by our lone raider in the atlantic.

Also, those ships in the James estuary can be just a distraction, so another objective is in their plan.

I need your input and also some ideas on how can we properly report more information about this.

Your humble servant
J. Davis[/font]

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Sun May 18, 2008 7:10 pm

I appreciate your response and have discussed our intelligence further with my advisors. I agree that the enemy is not intent on advancing through Northern Virginia at all. He is currently too weak. Cold weather is approximately 2 months away and so the enemy does still have time to try for a quick assault by water.

The question remains whether they enemy intends to strike at Richmond or at Fredricksburg. Richmond would provide the enemy a deep water port with which to send supplies for further operations in Virginia AND would be a very valuable target. But I believe our current forces in Richmond would be enough to repel any sort of landing attempt by the Federals....and if the enemy intends to land in Richmond, or perhaps Petersburg...we will know it and be able to react ahead of time.

The same goes for Fredricksburg. Were the enemy able to capture that depot and establish a strong position there, he would flank the entire main army and force Beauregard to retreat to protect his supply line and Richmond. I beleive my plan to advance against Alexandria and put pressure on Washington while simultaneously sending Bohnam's brigade to defend Fredricksburg could be the operational solution we're looking for.

As far as intelligence...I will report fully what stands before the main army.

4 divisions, likely numbering some 30,000 to 35,000 men. They have ample supplies to move outside their rail network. I have not been able to find the 5th division which was at one time a part of the enemy force in front of Beauregard. I do not believe a Corps or Army sized force lies in wait to the north out of our sight, but possibly a small division...or two.

Your Humble Servant,
General Robert E. Lee

Coregonas
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue May 20, 2008 10:34 am

[font="Comic Sans MS"]
Greetings General...

Although advance onto enemy positions could result in an extremely succesful adventure, we believe we must wait a few days more, in order to fully reorganize the new divisions.

Also, it should be better not to distract the brigade to second line. If it is to be assaulted by a division sized troop, we are not sure if be able to resist the attack unproperly commanded.

In case an assault is going on the city, we could counterattack directly with a well rested and organized corps. So thats the main reason we believe attack is to be cancelled.

About Jackson troops.
Instead of using it for reconnaisance purposes, 1st Virginia Cavalry Brigade should depart to richmond, so some of the newly raised cavalry conscript regiments could be attached to them. This unit could be used in forming a cavalry division once troops enough available.

Your humble servant
J. Davis[/font]

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Tue May 20, 2008 3:55 pm

Coregonas wrote:[font="Comic Sans MS"]
Greetings General...

Although advance onto enemy positions could result in an extremely succesful adventure, we believe we must wait a few days more, in order to fully reorganize the new divisions.

Also, it should be better not to distract the brigade to second line. If it is to be assaulted by a division sized troop, we are not sure if be able to resist the attack unproperly commanded.

In case an assault is going on the city, we could counterattack directly with a well rested and organized corps. So thats the main reason we believe attack is to be cancelled.

About Jackson troops.
Instead of using it for reconnaisance purposes, 1st Virginia Cavalry Brigade should depart to richmond, so some of the newly raised cavalry conscript regiments could be attached to them. This unit could be used in forming a cavalry division once troops enough available.

Your humble servant
J. Davis[/font]

I am elated at your desire to discuss issues in the field. Such is the reason I asked for your council. However on some points I must respectfully disagree Mr. President. I would contend that an immediate defense of Fredricksburg be placed high among our current priorities. While my original plan to attack and subsequently consolidate our defensive front at Alexandria, pressuring the enemy capitol, would in my mind potentially forstall any attack on Fredricksburg, I am willing to compromise.

I would be willing to cancel the attack in Alexandria by Homles Corps in exchange for sending a full division to protect Fredricksburg and moving Holmes corps to Manassas to reinforce and reorganize. I am sure that an attack at Fredricksburg is only weeks away and I am of the opinion that prevention would be far better than reaction in that case. All we would have left in position to counter the threat would be Beauregard and Holmes, whose combined strength would even still be hard pressed to dislodge an entrenched enemy across the river. While removing a division from Holmes Corps will leave him in a weaker position, I believe it is also agreed that the enemy presently seems to have no designs upon advancing on Richmond from the North.

I would like to offer a compromise....to detach Magruder's division from Holmes' Corps and send it to reinforce the defenses around Fredricksburg. Should the town fall, Beauregard's supply route back to Richmond and the deep south with be under direct threat, not to mention the road to Richmond will be left wide open for the enemy....this is something that should be PREVENTED at all cost.

Regarding the Cavalry. I see no justification of stripping Jackson's command of a reliable screening, scouting, raiding and fast reaction force at this time. Understanding what forces face us across the Potomac, especially near Jackson's line, would be of the utmost importance in my mind Mr. President.

If there is nothing to be gained by keeping the 1st Virginia Cavalry in Harper's Ferry to both oppose the federal cavalry stationed to the north, or to reconnointer Hooker's position in Frederick, MD I would be glad to know how.

Also I am unaware of a man fit to lead a cavalry division at this time...I would ask that you correct my judgement on that point as my memory of those I meet many times fails me. Perhaps I have not heard of a man fit for such a command despite his existence.

In summation, I do not believe the current campaign season to be the appropriate time to take valuable forces from our commands at the front in order to form future commands in the rear. I believe once winter sets in, the time to form new commands in our rear areas will be more than appropriate, but at this time, sending front line units to sit idol for several weeks in our capitol forming divisions instead of operating against the enemy, is in my opinion, an unwise course of action. I would be happy to appease the administration, however, by sending our current raid-reaction forces in Central and Western Virginia to Richmond for the formation of a small cavalry division. I ernestly hope this compromise proposal would satisfy your request. I would also ask for rebutal to my arguments should there be points which I have overlooked.

I sincerely appreciate your input and would ask only for a respectable debate on the issue, for it is understood, especially by me, that the authority of Richmond be recognized...however in matters of military relevance I would expect the administration to be prepared to receive rebutals from her respected Generals from time to time.

Again thank you for your response...I would appreciate your thoughts after reading this dispach.

Your Humble Servant,
General Robert E. Lee

Coregonas
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed May 21, 2008 11:15 am

[font="Comic Sans MS"]

Seems your proposal could aid properly defense both positions...

Sending a somewhat understrength division to fredericksburg and a nearly full division to Manasas could solve our problem. Holmes corps HQ could be also sent to fredericksburg, so even better commanded if you feel so, and Huger division could join the Army HQ.

About the Virginia Cav brigade, we felt as it was better trying to reinforce it properly with the new raised conscript regiments, before entering combat.

Give your orders as you seem best.

Your humble servant
J. Davis[/font]

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Wed May 21, 2008 1:57 pm

Coregonas wrote:[font="Comic Sans MS"]

Seems your proposal could aid properly defense both positions...

Sending a somewhat understrength division to fredericksburg and a nearly full division to Manasas could solve our problem. Holmes corps HQ could be also sent to fredericksburg, so even better commanded if you feel so, and Huger division could join the Army HQ.

About the Virginia Cav brigade, we felt as it was better trying to reinforce it properly with the new raised conscript regiments, before entering combat.

Give your orders as you seem best.

Your humble servant
J. Davis[/font]

It seems we have come upon an agreed upon plan of action then. You are spot on to send Holmes with his HQ to Fredricksburg along with Magruder's small division...I thank you for that suggestion sir. I will make the appropriate adjustments sending Huger's division to Mannassas to Join Beauregard and send Holmes and Magruder to Fredricksburg.

I thank you for your support of our mounted troops lives, but sadly as is the case with war, sacrifices will be made. I fully trust general Jackson will not send the 1st into direct contact with the enemy unless he sees the odds as either even or in his favor. The entire enemy army, with one swift rail movement could fall upon Jackon's small command within a matter of days and I would like to know what Hooker may have in store for us there.

I will also peel off several cavalry regiments in Central and Western VA and send them to Richmond for use in forming an adequate cavalry division.

Thank you again Mr. President.

Yours with compliments,
General Robert E. Lee

soloswolf
General of the Army

Fri May 23, 2008 3:21 pm

I have ordered a general concentration of troops in and around Montgomery, AL under General Winder in preparation for a move on Ft. Pickens. Smaller units are gathering throughout TN, MS and AR. I am moving men and guns to General Price as fast as possible, I believe in a few weeks his position should be quite defensible if we can hold it until then. Then, with the winter coming, MO and AR should be secure until the thaws.

However, before those snows hit, we must strike a blow. To this end I have ordered General Johnston to organize all available forces not assigned to other duties in the area of Meade, KY. From here they will be able to strike hard at Louisville, or if the Federals have concentrated there, they will be able to return to Bowling Green. A third and less likely option, is to move on any Federal force that heads towards Lexington. From all assessments of enemy forces in the region, this venture should hold little risk for our forces, and leave much to gain if it is successful.

With my Regards,
A.S. Johnston[/font]
My name is Aaron.

Knight of New Hampshire

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Sat May 24, 2008 3:41 pm

To the Headquarters of the Western Department of the Confederacy
General Albert S. Johnston

General,

It has come to my attention that a raiding party of yours is headed in the direction of Grafton, West Virginia. Yankee newspapers are my only source of information on this...

I would first like confirmation of the intentions of the 1st Tennessee Cavalry, or the "Tennessee Ghosts" as the papers call them. Second I would like to ask if you would like to arrange an exchange of command, for at least the time being should you require their services again soon in your department.

Yours w/ compliments
General Robert E. Lee
Eastern Department of the Confederacy

soloswolf
General of the Army

Sat May 24, 2008 4:47 pm

[font="Courier New"]General,

An over-eager regimental commander rying to earn his spurs was misled by his poor maps and a worse guide and ended up a long way from home. I understand General Smith is low on troopers... If you would allow them the indulgence of some Yankee horses, these men are at your disposal until such time as they are required to rejoin their parent command.

Best wishes and congratulations on your success in WV.

A.S. Johnston[/font]
My name is Aaron.

Knight of New Hampshire

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Sat May 24, 2008 5:05 pm

General Johnston,

It is encouraging to have such eager young commanders, however it is unfortunate that they sometimes become OVER-eager and endanger their men. General Smith will be more than happy to receive your troopers. There are plenty of fresh mounts in Grafton for them. I pray for their safe arrival.

Please keep me informed should you require their return to your department.

I've received word that you are to march north sir, Good luck in Kentucky

Yours with compliments,
General Robert E. Lee
Eastern Department of the Confederacy

Coregonas
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon May 26, 2008 12:13 pm

[font="Comic Sans MS"]

Greetings Generals.

Some reports on a big troop embarked in the Carolinian coast came just a few hours ago. Also, lots of ships have been detected observing our main coastal cities. Our frigates are being sent there to get better reports. Posible targets are our main industrial cities, our rail links (such as South port), or be sent to the florida federal forts (even pickens) to a future invasion.

All coastal cities specially Wilmington, Charleston and Savannah are to be put in maximum alert, in order to delay enemy fleets.

It is now priority a complete revision on your main brigades to be done. Lots of them were raised months ago totally under strength, even some of these brigades have just a single battalion. Be sure to attach conscripts raised during last weeks with these old brigades, or form new ones, as not enough replacements are to be available for a long time.

Generals Bragg and Hardee are to be sent each one with the main armies, assigned a division once they arrive, and start a serious training to the troops there during the winter.

Your humble servant
J. Davis[/font]

Coregonas
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon May 26, 2008 12:36 pm

[font="Comic Sans MS"]

Smith division is ordered to defend covington VA as needed. It can try to capture the enemy supply wagons nearby in the process, too much needed.

Some independent batteries seem camped in inappropriate places. Be sure to avoid being chased to enemy cavalries. Put them on trains and send them to more secure places.

We suspect the 5th federal division is in some backwards area, waiting for properly reinforcing the initial landing. Some force must be sent to an adequate area, in order to allow for a fast counterattack.

Our two main cavalry brigades should concentrate, perhaps with Jackson corps, and be ready to prepare a cavalry division.

Be sure also to chase enemy raiders, both chasing and displaying an adequate cavalry screen.

Your humble servant
J. Davis[/font]

Coregonas
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon May 26, 2008 4:11 pm

[font="Comic Sans MS"]
To: General Albert S. Johnston

Once staff has been assembled for a second Army Headquarters, it is to be properly dispatched to join you and organize our second army. One of the cavalry troops deployed in Richmond should be assigned as escort. Be sure to avoid coastal railroads, as landing troops are expected, and be careful with all those raiders in our land.

Tucson is a very important objective for these next months.
General Watie could prepare a division with all these adhoc troops deployed in the Texas and Arkansas area. General Sibley could aid him in the task.
If succesful enough, those troops could aid General Price troops or elsewhere. Raiding enemy positions with these troops should be delayed for a time.

Preparatives on Fort Pickens should be accelerated. I propose General Van Dorn to do the Job. He is one of our more preciated men, and we must give him a chance.

Go on with the preparatives regarding securing the Kentucky and Tenneessee states.

Your humble servant
J. Davis[/font]

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Mon May 26, 2008 8:30 pm

Mr. President,

I have received your dispatch along with several from commanders along the Carolina coast expressing alarm at the presence of enemy ships. I have only one report of ground forces in the area and that is of a single brigade aboard some transports in the waters east of Charleston, SC.

At this time I hardly think the enemy intends upon securing any part of our coastline with a single brigade although Georgetown or Southport would be his likely targets. There are no reports of the missing 5th division at this time, so I can only assume, as you have, that they are awaiting reinforcements in order to board their ships and land somehwere along the eastern coast at a later date. In response to this threat, I have assembled a small command in Raleigh consisting of the 10th North Carolina Cavalry and the 3rd North Carolina Reserve Brigade. They will be sent to Lumberton, NC. This is the only force that I believe we can spare at the moment for rapid response to any invasion from the eastern seaboard. I would request any available leader, that General Johnston is not in need of, to be sent immediately to take command of this small force.

A division has been formed in Harper's Ferry under General Bee.

I have sent all conscript regiments north to fill the gaps of our understrength brigades in the main eastern Army.

Artillery batteries are hastily being sent to safer areas. I apologize for the alarm here, there were some slight oversights in logistical command. This will not happen again.

General Smith's situation, while terribly unfortunate, is as you say, untennable. I agree that his only option is to withdrawal. He will be ordered to attack and seize the enemy supply wagons if he can, otherwise he is ordered to force march to Covington as is the 4th North Carolina Cavalry.

If I may, Mr. President, make an overall observation about the enemy and what would appear to be his overall plan in the east. As we mentioned before, it does not seem that the enemy wishes to attack across the Potomac at all. I dare say that he WILL NOT attack in this direction perhaps for some time. While it is hard to predict....I believe the enemy means to lull our main army to sleep while exlpoiting our weaknesses elsewhere. I would ask the administration if this would be a proper time to attack, steal the initiative and pressure the enemy to react to US as opposed to the other way around. Alexandria is still an interesting target Mr. President. We could bring fully 40,000 men against his small force there and pressure the enemy capitol at the same time should we achieve victory.

The other option is to make a show of force, concentrate the army in the vicinity of Manassas and make it look as if we intend to attack. I do not wish for the enemy to be able to dig too snuggly into his trenches sir, or despite our own, we will be pushed back little by little.

Your humble servant,
General Robert E. Lee

Coregonas
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon May 26, 2008 9:54 pm

[font="Comic Sans MS"]

Seems now we are too dispersed in your area to seriously threatening Washington, even with all our first line troops, without risking too much our defenses. All positions held in the main front are vital and seem useful to fortify with them for a while.

However, I agree than, while a few conscripts get trained to regulars in Richmond, the rest of the troops, even some of those untrained militia brigades assembled, can be quickly sent to join forces in Manasas or Fredericksburg. If we try, sure we can concentrate a big enough force to deal with the enemy in a couple months.

Main depot in Harpers Ferry perhaps should be dismantled before allowing it falling into enemy hands if you are going to do that advance. Seems as we did had no time to destroy Grafton depot.

Although not too much troops seem to be in front of our army, remember most of our initial recruitment went to the Western command, we are also somewhat weak by now. Kentucky is the place we must concentrate our main advance, a too bold advance onto the enemy capitol can result in a very bad position near Richmond if failure arises.

I agree a strong corps is to be created, preferably under our best general available, and held near Manasas. We must concentrate all troops available during the next months with him, without leaving the front unprotected.

I believe just make the enemy believe we are strong in front of our army is enough for us to help achieving a lot of other objectives for this year.

Your humble servant
J. Davis[/font]

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Mon May 26, 2008 11:28 pm

I wish to assemble the army in a strong show of force at Mannassas. All Three Corps, all cavalry and conscripts, all unassigned guns, General Bushrod Johnson and some other units will all gather at Mannassas in the coming weeks to reorganize and possibly advance on any of three axis'.

The campaign would be scheduled for early October and an attack on one of three areas would take place:

A drive through Alexandria and into the enemy capitol using one corps as a rearguard for our supply line and retreat path.

An advance north across the Potomac, then east into McDowell's still unorganized command in Montgomery, MD, again ensuring that our retreat path will remain secure.

Finally, a long left hook into Hooker's lone division at Frederick, effectively flanking the enemy's line of defense, AND maintaining a defense of Harper's Ferry at the same time. We may even catch Hooker isolated as he tries to capture Harper's Ferry, vacating his rear....if this is the case...the army will be ordered to continue east.

All of these options are dependent upon favorable weather. We shall pray for clear skies and fair conditions in the coming weeks Mr. President. The enemy is planning something for this winter in the Carolinas...I can sense it. and the more time we give him unmolested...the easier it will be for him to accomplish. The enemy's line is uncoordinated and vulnerable....the time to strike is now. Mannassas is arguably more important than Harper's Ferry at this time, but I will send Ewell's brigade along with some militia to protect it from Hooker. Loudon Hills are not important, as they are, in no way connected to our rail network. Fredricksburg will be the only concern...but Smith's command could be railed there immediately following his arrival in Covington.

Most troops will be organized under General Jackson, he is obviously the ablest commander to lead the spearhead of this campaign.

This is a risky plan, but time is certainly against us. Should you and your advisors object to this plan, I would be glad to know of it. In conclusion, I believe even without an attack, simply concentrating our strength may give the enemy pause and force him to reinforce his line with troops he may be planning to undertake other duties. Either that or it may entice him to come out of his trenches allowing Beauregard to defeat him in detail in the field.

Also a note, due to cut east/west rails, General Johnston's HQ will not be available for some time. We will need to repair them first. Also that command in NC which I assembled and sent to Lumberton has now been sent instead to Florence, SC.

Your humble servant,
General Robert E. Lee

Coregonas
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed May 28, 2008 12:06 pm

[font="Comic Sans MS"]
To: General Albert S. Johnston

I need your report on the current situation, needs on troop concentrations and your proposal next moves in order to fulfill objectives proposed.

Your humble servant
J. Davis[/font]

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Wed May 28, 2008 2:19 pm

[font="Courier New"]To General Albert S. Johnston and President Jefferson Davis,

Gentlemen I hope this dispatch finds you both well and in good spirits,

After thourough review of all intelligence in my department and after an alarming intercept of enemy intelligence...I have seen fit to cancel the army's concentration in Mannassas and to maintain its positions along the current line of defence. An attack may be imminent and it would be best to maintain our defensive stand along the Potomac River.

I've received word from the west of massive amounts of troop levies and the required rail capacity to move them.

Unless there is an issue....I would request that the Laurel Brigade remain under my command.

Yours with compliments,
General Robert E. Lee

Coregonas
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed May 28, 2008 3:20 pm

[font="Comic Sans MS"]

My most respected General.

Unfortunately, we cannot afford to carry now your plan concentrating nearby all our army on Manasas. We consider adequate to assign some locomotives to move a couple brigades between your corps, but just moving a few miles all our army by railroad totally out of discussion.

It is strictly needed you hold your troops as they are for a few weeks, unless a critical situation expected.

Division or corps sized troops seem defending well our lines, there are other priorities now.

Seem adequate trained troops from Richmond to be sent join the army. We can allow send Manasas Jackson Headquarters to organize a corps there if really in need, but at least leaving division sized troops in the depot.

Most of our troops are in need to arrive the front, so our transport assets must be used in moving them to the main areas, and securing communication lines between our two commands.

Your humble servant
J. Davis[/font]

Return to “American Civil War, The Grand Campaign”