Coregonas
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:23 pm

Ok... you are asking for a 5 division size reinforcement. Another 4 more could be recruited to the Eastern CiC by going that way, as yes, more than half of the available resources 9 in all. I remember Banks asked for 5 (or 6 :niark: ) just a few days ago. (Your total asking was 45 inf bns, 12 cav regs and 12 art coys)

I add all reinforcements during 2 months. This does not have into account the HARD hit to our morale / VP, and really low recruitment can be achieved

Dont panic but... I will go for a somewhat slower recruitment process. It is your work to do the best use of the troops we can recruit.

I will follow a more efficient aproach of our SCARCE resources so you get 11 divisions in all, lower on heavy weapons, until a few more months pass... Before the next conscription on december, I want to add at least 1 or 2 more extra divisions.

I understand you want the max speed for your recruitment, but I am sure 2 extra divisions are worth waiting a couple months.

Also, we cannot afford to lose the extra morale our troops have, as well as the effect on the exterior countries.

I believe we must priorize timing-> just cavalry in the start (I believe 2xtotal units than your request is better, cav doesnt need high ranked generals for moving, and can join divisions as infantry role for a while), then poorly trained infantry (they will be trained under your commands or directly in the front), then heav weapons.

Coregonas
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:47 pm

I agree with sending proportionally more troops to the Eastern command.

By the december turn, if 11 + 1 divisions will be recruited, I will try to send mainly 7 EAST + 5 WEST.

Is no good spending ALL in the very start, as we need to resist 6 months until the winter. Extra troops can be inmediatly sent to a concrete area if invaded, by reinforcements. A couple fast-deployment brigades can join the reserve RR sent - divisions, but 10000 men should be waiting for it..

We must form a HQ inmediatly for (at least) 1 army, resources for all those divisions (and the few we have yet deployed) is very costly. AND FINALLY REMEMBER REPLACEMENTS, minimum one of those divisions should go totally to replacements.

Remember War supply also, the navy needs some extra punch. Going the slow approach, you ll get 2 extra divisions and also, by november to bring around 180 WS per month! You will see clearly once a few months pass.

I hope you can resist this hard news.

Finally, another need for the high command. To give false info to the enemy, it could be very useful to start creating double half-size divisions and putting them on the frontline to make think the enemy we have more troops than we have. So better have Price, Watie and Van Dorn 5000 men divisions, that have just 1 of them sized 15000.

soloswolf
General of the Army

Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:58 pm

Whatever men I get I will put to good use, but sitting on resources is a mistake. We need to put them on their heels in the West as fast as possible. I can't do that with scattered cavalry commands. As far as cannons go, we will be out-gunned as it is, avoiding producing larger brigades is not something we can afford to do.

I know we need replacements and an Army HQ, but we need our cites as well and men to hold them.

I really think we need to use those options. Through events and victories we will get it all back and thensome. Fast and hard is the only way, right from the start.
My name is Aaron.

Knight of New Hampshire

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:06 pm

I propse that we all come to an agreement here.

1. The Western CiC is priority for build-up in 1861....I agree. Perhaps not as great a build-up as you suggest solo, but a strong gathering of resources none-the-less.

2. I strongly urge you Coregonas to reconsider any major plans to suppliment our navy. Georgia's cities and workers are well suited to creating War Supply that cannot be reduced by the cannon of the enemy....as it may very well be on the high seas. Money invested in the long term development in industry in, for my part, Georgia, and possibly NC would perhaps be a more sound strategy. However I would like all to have a good time as well...

3. As far as build-up in the East. I will be okay for awhile. But if I am to hold onto Harper's Ferry, Mannassas AND Fredricksburg (one of which I will likely lose)....I will need reinforcement.

My docket would include, by February 1862.

1.- 3 new divisions.
A. If need be, recruit militia and allow me to combine them into Militia Brigades and send them to General Cooper for training. As long as I have a steady supply of militia to combine every few turns. I should be able to build enough infantry to create a strong force.

B. I will need then, 3 brigades, prefferably from VA, that in some way include cavalry

C. I would need 8 batteries of the cheapest arty we have, (prefferrably 12 pounders)

2. I would lastly need 5 new cavalry regiments to create a divison under Stuart when he arrives.

Again, that would all be needed by February of 1862 if things slow down after initial contact in the east.

4. I've given it some though. I believe the offensive into West Virginia should be cancelled and a proper defense of Harper's Ferry coordinated instead. I will still send Johnston west

5. I agree that a quick strike on fort Pickens would be ideal. solo...if I can spare it...I will slap together a division to send you quickly, with Presidential approval, and you can take Pickens while it's still weak and get my troops back to me before the enemy has a chance to notice they're gone.

Operational Strategy in the east:

1. Defeat the enemy in the field.

2. Dig in at Harper's Ferry, Mannassas, and Fredricksburg.

3. Defend the Southern approches to Richmond on the Penninsula.

This is my final plan of action. Coregonas, I would ask that you look over this and a similar proposal by soloswolf and then put together one of your own that we will all follow. The first turn comes out this weekend...so we need to wrap up discussion fast.

soloswolf
General of the Army

Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:12 pm

How do you feel about my thoughts on falling back from Harper's Ferry (if needed) to Charlottesville?
My name is Aaron.

Knight of New Hampshire

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:18 pm

soloswolf wrote:How do you feel about my thoughts on falling back from Harper's Ferry (if needed) to Charlottesville?

I would initially try to hold Winchester...as I don't want to give the enemy free reign through "Virginia's Back Door". Holding onto Winchester would also prevent any direct reinforcement of Union forces through Manassas Gap.

So no, I would opt to hold Winchester if possible. The next line of defense would be Staunton....THEN Charlottesville.

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:22 pm

I wish to make the enemy bleed for every piece of ground he attempts to take. :king:

soloswolf
General of the Army

Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:32 pm

Winchester is just cut off from rail support. But it obviously is valuable. I don't want to throw it away, but I value your Army much more.

Are we using the re-deployment option? I'd like to get Johnston into Bowling Green turn 1.
My name is Aaron.

Knight of New Hampshire

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:50 pm

soloswolf wrote:Winchester is just cut off from rail support. But it obviously is valuable. I don't want to throw it away, but I value your Army much more.

Are we using the re-deployment option? I'd like to get Johnston into Bowling Green turn 1.

absolutely if we are. He'll be there right away...I'll make sure to get my turn done first and then allow you to do with him what you want. That of course if IF we are using the re-deployment option.

As far as Winchester. Yes, it's cut off for all intents and purposes, but I think a force, like Jackson's, with at least one or two supply wagons could hold out for a good 2 or 3 turns before being forced to head south. If the valley falls...might as well move the entire defensive line south of the Rappohannock and hinge off of Fredricksburg....

I predict the Union will take Mannassas at some point anyway. If they don't in '61...they'll surely take it in '62. But Harper's Ferry will be very important for them....and if it looks like it's going to fall...I'll destroy the depot.

Coregonas
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:54 pm

So WV is not be raided?

Totally out?

We can consider a 1st TURN RR-Force Marched Assault to Grafton, and a 2nd-3rd turn depot destroy (with just 1 cavalry) + evacuation. That could give us some extra chance for distracting some extra troops.

This should be combined with Huger RR troops sent to a corps (Holmes/Bonham) in the manasas / near area to replace partially them.

Anyway you decide. You re the generals. I ll go for that what you think.

Finally perhaps we could try a defensive line HF/Loudon/Manasas. HF depot should be destroyed perhaps as fast as posible.

Coregonas
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:34 pm

[font="Comic Sans MS"]
Confederate July Congress. Main Tri-Monthly Economic Plan Draft for Law approval.

Mid July 1861 - Law on a Cotton Embargo
August 61 - Call for first Volunteers
Mid August 61 - General Mobilization: Ages 25-30
September 61 - First War Tax
Mid Setember 61 - Bonds selling
Afterwards - Money should start be printed as requested

Lets have faith in or final success.

Your humble servant
J. Davis

[/font]

:coeurs:
I believe its absolutely no fun to go ALL the MAX options for the start. Why no even print?
This is the EASY way to GO... let the USA go for it if they want, lots of VPs of advantage in the early first month can help us if the embargo hits the british in our favour, and 2foreign points/turn assured since the very start.

I ve played that way several times and really I am sure this is not the best way to go, a more slow approach can give us I can assure to you at least 3 more effective divisions, and is more fun to play (and hardest, but here we are!!!). I am sure you could be fighting Grant during all of 62 with even the troop advantage. The problem will come for sure in the Richmond area.

Also, we dont have really enough CPs for using all those troops at the maximum effect, but delaying a bit can do, once our Army of the Tennesse could be fully effective. A TN brigade has a -20% malus, while a pair of brigaded-militias have a -5%.

Coregonas
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:08 pm

[font="Comic Sans MS"]Confederate Congress. Main Tri-Monthly Training plan Draft.

After requests for main CiC commanders, these would be the available troops:

July 61 - 20 regs/bns (mainly cavalry/militia) + 2 division HQs
Mid July 61 - 5 regs/bns + HQ
August 61 - 15 regs / bns
Mid August 61 - 60 regs + 6 brigs
September 61 - Arty coys and support troops will start being deployed.

Later on - Support troops / replacements

Your humble servant
J. Davis
[/font]

If some of my "english" words seems unreadable, please help me and I ll change ASAP.

soloswolf
General of the Army

Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:10 pm

[font="Palatino Linotype"]Mr. President,

You honor me in divulging your and our congress' plans for the coming months. I will trust in your collective wisdom in these matters. All I ask is that my department be properly outfitted so that I may defend our young nation.

My compliments to you, Sir.

A.S. Johnston[/font]
My name is Aaron.

Knight of New Hampshire

Coregonas
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:15 pm

[font="Comic Sans MS"]
To: General Albert S. Johnston ; General Robert E. Lee
Confederate Congress emergency meeting.

This final Plan Draft was not approved in the first round, but seems it is to be reconsidered after main generals and Advisors comments.

Mid July 61 - Embargo on Cotton Law.
August 61 - General Mobilization 25-30 years old, with some money could be printed for payment of training costs.
Mid August 61 - Again some more money could be printed in order to hold with training costs.
September 61 - A Special Law on War Taxes for training should be done.
Mid September 61 -An extra rewarded call for volunteers, just for people 31 years or more will be done... If needed, Bonds should be sold for paying more training costs.
After this - Money should be printed if really needed.

Too much senators ask for a speed up like this, seems you my generals are too much respected in the congress.

I request about your sincere opinion about both plans. I will for sure have your opinions into account. Sure several extra troops could be raised the first plan, but this one speeds a little the recruitment as your request.

Your humble servant
J. Davis
[/font]

I want to UPGRADE NM to a max before raising a single troop... This can add (the first draft) at least 100 conscripts for free... I ve finally decided to go partially with your demands, but somewhat delayed, and hope final economic results will be better for all.

Also, i need to practice the english "formal approach"... Perhaps I will go editing my own posts, and turning them "italic"... Yours are really striking to me.

Coregonas
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:35 pm

soloswolf wrote:

I propose the president to do redeployments. Ill do them at my own discretion if not enough time to comment, sending extra orders if I believe is necessary.

Mainly I believe you ve told me 2 options

a) "initial" Raid on WV. In case YES. I propose redeploy Huger with Jackson, give him a bde, give smith a division (he is sen. 3, and just a pip can give us an extra 2*) and send to WV at your discretion. Add this with a force march... Grafton or whatever you desire.

Johnston should be on RR towards the east.

b) Not raiding. Yes a good idea is sending him to Nashville. (Bowling Green is enemy occuppied?)

I prefer you decide about this.

Also, we should decide what to do if some of us can not play for a week. or two. Perhaps we should give some kind of orders for a 2 month period (similar to the "drafts before"... so some of the ideas can be followed.

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:20 am

Alrighty, WV raid it is. I think this will be a fun start :) .

As far as re-deployment goes...Prez can control that. Just let us know what's goin' on.

I saw Div. HQ.....are we not using patch 1.09e that excludes those?

Coregonas
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:33 am

Banks6060 wrote:Alrighty, WV raid it is. I think this will be a fun start :) .

As far as re-deployment goes...Prez can control that. Just let us know what's goin' on.

I saw Div. HQ.....are we not using patch 1.09e that excludes those?

WV you decide.. lets wait for Solo ideas.

Ok.

Yes yes... Div HQs mentioned just to give you some limits to Div creation, as we have accorded you CiCs are the ones that will do the "clicks" creating Divs, but general orders should come from the Prez.

Finally do you believe the second economic plan can be better?
Does "Prez" has a similar meaning as a "hi! friend"

soloswolf
General of the Army

Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:32 am

Getting Joseph E. Johnston asap is critical for me. For a few turns he will be my only general of note. If he could be teleported turn 1, that would do a lot for me.

WV is very risky I think. Not in and of itself, but for the reason that there is one rail connection for us and it runs into Harper's Ferry. If we lose HF, that's gonna be a long walk through crappy terrain for those men to get back home.

If it's me, I would give Smith a bde and that's all. No wagons, just a bde to cause some trouble with. I would try to get to Grafton, but if not, just cut all the rails between there and HF. If he runs into trouble getting home, he can forage his way back and he will be better than any commander they can put in his way at that point of the game. I think Jackson is too valuable, particularly if we want to hold HF for any amount of time.

If your initial plan is to hold from HF, Jackson+Beauregard is our best bet, and I would get them more men asap.
My name is Aaron.

Knight of New Hampshire

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:04 am

soloswolf wrote:Getting Joseph E. Johnston asap is critical for me. For a few turns he will be my only general of note. If he could be teleported turn 1, that would do a lot for me.

WV is very risky I think. Not in and of itself, but for the reason that there is one rail connection for us and it runs into Harper's Ferry. If we lose HF, that's gonna be a long walk through crappy terrain for those men to get back home.

If it's me, I would give Smith a bde and that's all. No wagons, just a bde to cause some trouble with. I would try to get to Grafton, but if not, just cut all the rails between there and HF. If he runs into trouble getting home, he can forage his way back and he will be better than any commander they can put in his way at that point of the game. I think Jackson is too valuable, particularly if we want to hold HF for any amount of time.

If your initial plan is to hold from HF, Jackson+Beauregard is our best bet, and I would get them more men asap.

To this I will agree. Jackson is too import to send a'romping through the mountains toward Grafton. If you think it's alright Coregonas, I would like to cut the size of the force marching to Grafton down to a Brigaded Smith....as solo has suggested.

I believe, solos, that you should still get priority on reinforcements for the better part of the summer and fall however. I think a strong offensive into Kentucky could buy us an entire campaign season if we play our cards right.

and yes Coregonas, the second plan would be more to my liking... :sourcil:

Coregonas
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:23 am

There are brigade sized troops defending grafton since the early beginning, so perhaps best not even sending smith then.

*** Well. So Johnston goes T1 to nashville!

*** Ok I ll try to follow my second plan, even speeding it up a bit.

So grafton is to be a main advance road for them towards richmond... We ll need VERY fast a garrison and then small division in the nearest VA city (vancouver? dont remember its name now)

If USA goes for a MAX build up, he has not enough leaders to make a full good use of them.

If he wants to make ultra fast - invasions he can do it just with a couple brigades and his best leaders.

Coregonas
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:43 pm

[font="Comic Sans MS"]
To: General Robert E. Lee

General Joseph E. Johnston should be inmediatly dispatched to join troops deployed in Nashville. General Thomas J. Jackson asumes his troop command.

Your humble servant
J. Davis[/font]

Some refresh ideas about the Assault / Besiege orders.

I believe it is better to use Besiege (surrender important cities such as bowling green can add us easily some NM boost, and less troops lost of course), but in case there is some of the promotable 1* I would opt for a full assault, and assure by just using him (and a corps commander of course)... we need these leaders gets the medals.

Another (Im asking and proposing) ideas about ANV.
Finally, as WV discarded :p leure: (perhaps some lone cav can do the RR havoc), will go Jackson to Loudon? Or some other idea?... From there it can trench, cut RR, support manasas (and be supported) with a big army HQ. Another Corps could join Huger in Fredericksburg. Also it can go for a fast counterattack on HF/Winchester. A single cav could be detached both cities for a while?

But again those are your decisions.

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:15 pm

The first turn is due out Saturday right?

Coregonas
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:36 pm

i m not sure... Rafiki said he well return this weekend, so I believe so.

I have a final question, regarding mail-sending.

1.- Rafiki send .TRN to all of us.
2.- I do the Economic/ship/redeploy... ORDERS send to Banks & Solo
3.- Banks adds his orders -> send to Solo & me the Prez
4.- Solo adds his orders -> send to Banks & me
5.- Wait 24 hours for last thinkings

(However I believe this should absolutely not be used to change the orders of the "other" players, just to make a review of "ours"... mistakes / bad clicks... and expect what the future brings to us)

6.- The way we can assure this is than Solo sends the file to Rafiki, without us modifying it. (This can change if we launch a new order in the WAR ROOM, before the time expires)

We should send a private mail with our mail directions. These should absolutely not used for giving orders and the such, as Rafiki said, all orders once war start must be done thorough the War Room. (just for sending the .ORD)

Coregonas
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:27 pm

I want to comment again about the build up program. (oh yes i ll bore you again)

I not going really in a straight - forward plan. I ll change build up speed in a reactive way. So... we Watch USA, and do accordingly.

Should USA do nothing for a few turns, my program would be more similar to the first one I ve presented. As initial Armies are similar sized, but our leaders have the initiative, so we can perform better in this case, and we can reinforce

Should it go for ALL MAX options, then I will even build up faster than the second program of course.

As Money is really our limiting factor in the early months, and in case this second posibility arises, perhaps I ll ask for some extra money in the early beginning, so be able to a extra react in the second turn.

I ll edit and change my last plan post a bit, so it could be used as a "starting general order".

Coregonas
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:40 pm

[font="Comic Sans MS"]
Confederate Congress. Main Tri-Monthly Training plan Draft.

Here are the proposed Objective Total minimum troops recruit for the next 3 months.

75 foot battalions
25 horse regiments
25 artillery and support companies
15 ship groups

After the first three months, until the end of the year, at least around 50 extra foot/horse battalions/regiments should be raised, depending on the real situation. Costs for every artillery company raised will cause real entry of 2 of those units be delayed.

These figures should solve CiC needs
- 45 foot / 12 horse / 12 artillery requested for the western command as priority
- 40 foot / 5 horse / 12 artillery for the eastern mid term.

As most of the congress agrees, proportionally more troops will be sent to the Western Command.

Your humble servant
J. Davis
[/font]

Coregonas
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:34 pm

Got another last minute idea on my mind about sending leaders to Nashville.

I believe really it would be really the most USEFUL for the south to send Huger there, before Johnston (if finally just 1 redeployment).

Huger needs just 1 pip to promote. Give him a 3 CP brigade + another 1 CP brigaded CAV, can boost him to a 2*. It is really too neded in the first turns.

Johnston could receive a Corps, and go RR in 1 month there, having a corps (without bonus, but x2 CP) , 2 turns before an army arrives.

Finally, what do you believe sending also Magruder or Smith there? If you are going to fight as a mad in the area, it could add some 2* early... and return to the ANV if needed

Non promotable leaders could be sent to the ANV...

---
About MO, there are a couple USA cav in north MO, these can arrive Fayyeteville --FY -- & Rolla if force marching. Perhaps the best is to abandon Winchester, send a cav to FY and the Price divisioned to Rolla.

Or pray a random built unit gets to FY...

soloswolf
General of the Army

Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:10 pm

Huger really is more valuable in the East. He doesn't need a promotion. His only value is his artillerist trait which would be put to much better use in the ANV. Promoting him is not a priority.

I don't think Johnston getting a corps command and carrying it all the way from VA is needed. I don't think I will have the men or the need to put that many cp in one spot in the first two months, and by then we should be close to having another Army out West. Good sides to both ways here... Quick results for a push into Bowling Green or a detached corps for a possible large engagement?

As far as Magruder, Smith, Bee, Winder: I will take any that you give me, but they may be needed for detached service in VA, or down the coast. Of them, I would prefer Smith because he will be active more than the rest of them.

MO/AR:I am not too worried about that. I am falling back with Price to Springfield/Fayetville, and I am going to burn Rolla down with my cav on the way South. We need to max out our AR militia and cav recruitment turn 1, so I am sure we will fill the city prior to anyone getting there.
My name is Aaron.

Knight of New Hampshire

Coregonas
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:21 pm

Well promoting the first seniority generals could avoid us problems later. In my last PBEM, I have declined a lot of 2* promotions due to those 1 NM lose cause huger is too high in the ranks. I ll not allow any promotion that hurts our NM...

I assure you ll get a lot of troops in early 62, and we need to promote as much 2* as possible, else we ll have not CPs enough.

Bowling green has just a militia on turn 1...

Just I believe we should try to send most of the promotable generals to the main battle grounds...

soloswolf
General of the Army

Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:23 pm

I am fine with trying to promote him to avoid problems with VP+NM, but with regard to CP, he'll rarely be adding any as he should be in a corps with a full complement of arty.
My name is Aaron.

Knight of New Hampshire

Coregonas
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:51 pm

Every corps leader will have an use for us...
Remember even Huger with 1 EXP star can easily turn into a 5-4-4 leader if Lee is in command!

We need a minimum 3-4 corps in manasas, 3 in the second front they open on us (Grafton?/ Norfolk), and 6 in the 2 lines of attack on nashville area.

This without having any in the gulf or MO.

We have just around 8... 1 extra in winter... So 4 extra minimum needed. And lots of these are plain 3-1-1s. Any corps leader with some extra can be an useful help once 1862 big maneouvers start.

Return to “American Civil War, The Grand Campaign”