AndrewKurtz

Sat May 03, 2008 7:05 pm

Alexandria, VA
August 1, 1861

Mr President,

Your orders received and the proposed movement has been cancelled. Troops assuming a purely defensive posture.

Need to form two corps to increase the operating efficiency of the army, but currently have no generals capable of leading such large forces. Please advise.

General Kurtz

Jabberwock

CinC West - War Department

Sat May 03, 2008 8:11 pm

War Department
Washington, August 3, 1861

To: Major General Cai

Sir -

Are you sure it is possible for Lyon's new division to reach Rolla before the rebels can destroy the depot?

I have devised modifications to your plan for Missouri and Cairo. After consulting with the President, he advised me to transmit it as a series of proposals or suggestions, rather than orders.

1. Incorporate the 2nd Missouri Brigade into either the Western Volunteers or one of the other volunteer regiments. Incorporate two Missouri Volunteer regiments into a single unit.

2. Send the Missouri Cavalry Brigade, followed by the West Brigade, each by rail as far as possible, to Rolla with orders to assault that point, in case the rebels attempt to hold the town while they complete their work of destruction.

3. Have Lyon form his division with the reinforced Western Volunteers and the remaining Missouri volunteers; to proceed downriver to Cairo.

4. Have Fremont take a reinforced volunteer brigade upstream to Jefferson City, to rendezvous at that point with the 3rd Cavalry; and possibly some of the volunteers forming at Saint Joseph, depending on your plans for them.

5. Send the 2nd Cavalry towards Fort Smith, Arkansas; attempting to make their camps in relatively friendly territory such as Singlewood, KS or Welcome, AR (or other points chosen by you) hopefully to effect a surprise attack upon Fort Smith and destroy that source of rebel supplies before it is reinforced.

These proposals have greater risks of defeat at Rolla, Jefferson City, or Fort Smith than your plan, any of which would be unfortunate, but they send a more substantial force to Cairo, and have the possibility of greatly aiding long term plans for Missouri and Arkansas. They do reverse the roles of Lyon and Fremont, and I am not sure of your preference in assigning those officers to particular locations. Once enough force is available to hold Cairo securely, they put Lyon in a position to assault Belmont or other points, rather than Jefferson City or Springfield. They also leave you without an organized division for the purpose of assaulting Springfield before it can be reinforced. Please use any of these suggestions that fit into your plans.

We have not received any information or even rumors in this office on the activities of the rebel river fleet. I will consult with Secretary Welles and ask him to get back to you if he has heard anything. I will also inform him of your urgent request for ironclads. Should I ask for additional gunboats to cover other crossings or add to the main fleet? Those may be easier and quicker to acquire than ironclads.

I am afraid that we have no spare generals in Washington at the moment. I will ask General Kurtz if he is willing to send General Hunter or General Mansfield to you.
[color="DimGray"] You deserve to be spanked[/color]

Jabberwock

CinC East - Executive

Sat May 03, 2008 8:37 pm

Executive Mansion
Washington, August 3, 1861

To: Major General Kurtz

Sir -

I agree that we need at least two corps for your army. However, due to some irregularities, inefficiency, or possibly sabotage in the War Department, we have very few general officers, much less major generals, available at the moment. This matter is being urgently investigated.

I propose giving command of the Hampton Roads forces to one of the available generals with potential. I would suggest Hooker or Mansfield.

In the meantime, can you use Ben Butler? I know he is not regular army and he has no capability to organize an offensive, but he has a tendency to find original solutions to problem situations. He could assist General Scott in the organization of the Washington defences, and then move into a field command that didn't require aggressive operations.

I have also received an urgent request from General Cai for more general officers. Can you possibly spare a brigadier for him? Keyes, Hunter, or whoever is not needed at Fort Monroe?

I was initially enthusiastic about your proposal, but General Scott pointed out the possible risks. Please do not hesitate to submit additional proposals. When the timing is better and preparations are sufficient, I look forward to unleashing your aggressiveness.

Jabberwock

CinCs East & West - Executive Proposal

Sat May 03, 2008 9:36 pm

Executive Mansion
Washington, August 4, 1861

To: Maj. Generals Cai & Kurtz

Gentlemen -

I have a proposal for discussion, regarding recruitment and purchasing initiatives.

Unassigned, from where we can get them:

• 10 Infantry regiments (various types)
  • 1 SS regiment
  • 5 Cavalry regiments

From the governors of the states:

East
  • Delaware - 3 lt. bttys.
  • Pennsylvania - 1 rgt. SS, 2 rgts. Cavalry
  • West Virginia - 3 lt. bttys.
  • 2 Engineers rgts.
Total - 1 SS., 2 Cav., 6 6lb. bttys, 2 Eng.

West
  • Illinois - 3 rgts. Cavalry, 1 btty. Napoleons
  • Ohio - 1 rgt. SS, 1 btty. Napoleons
  • Missouri - 1 lt. btty., 2 ironclads, 1 gunboat
  • Wisconsin - 1 rgt. Cavalry
  • 1 Engineers rgt.
Total - 1 SS., 4 Cav., 1 6lb. btty., 2 12lb. bttys., 2 ironclads, 1 gunboat, 1 Eng.

East or West
  • 1 rgt. Sailors

Economic & Naval Development
  • 1 sqdn. brigs (Mid-Atlantic)
  • 3 sqdns. transports (New England)
  • 25 Steamboats
  • small investment in New Mexico

This leaves us with no money in the treasury, no further conscripts available for two weeks, but with a reserve of supplies.

Please discuss or endorse. Also, I note that apparently some recruitment orders from last month did not go through. This matter is also under investigation. If you notice any discrepancies between what was ordered for your department and what is available, please let me know what they are.

Jabberwock

Sat May 03, 2008 10:10 pm

War Department

Sir -

You are due an apology. General Keyes is in Washington. I am trying to coordinate the reassignment of a brigadier with General Kurtz. If any of the few available officers have not already received orders I will send him immediately. If General Kurtz will acquiesce to a change of orders for one of these officers, I will modify his orders to send him to you.

AndrewKurtz

Sat May 03, 2008 10:15 pm

August 1, 1861

Mr President,

General Hunter is available for reassignment.

General Kurtz

Jabberwock

CinC East - War Department

Sat May 03, 2008 10:20 pm

War Department

Sir -

Thank you.

johnnycai
Major

Sun May 04, 2008 7:03 pm

West Theatre HQ.
St. Louis, August 4, 1861

To: President Lincoln and Lt. Gen. Scott

Mr. President, General Scott,

I thank you for the support and would like to have General Hunter assigned to Louisville or Cairo. Please read below for my response on your last telegram.
Your investment in 25 steamboats seems extreme. Yes the Union will need steam transports 6 squadrons for the West are excessive in my opinion.
I am considering your suggestions for the West and am unclear as to what will be gained by attacking Rollo piecemeal and with less than sufficient strength.
For Cairo, I am of the opinion that Fremont and a strong brigade will prevent the capture and I have planned that 6-7 regiments of militia will arrive by mid-Aug. Yes, they maybe delayed by rebel action near Salem but in my opinion if the rebs havent secured the Cape Girardeau already then they will not be able to land amphibiously easily.

I also wish to refuse the suggestion for a cav raid at Fayetville. Leaderless and without hope of support and resupply, that regiment would only suceed initially if Fayetville is not held against us. I do not think this will be the case.

Respectfully,
General Cai

Jabberwock

CinC West - Executive

Sun May 04, 2008 9:09 pm

Executive Mansion

Sir -

General Hunter will be sent towards Louisville.

I was trying in my proposal to provide adequate transport for supplies along with transportation needed by troops. The intention was that the steamboats would be used for transporting supplies in either theater when not assisting amphibious movements. I will separate economic from naval development in future proposals. For the moment, we have more rail capacity than we need - but I thought some more river transportation would be helpful.
If you feel that 25 is excessive right now, we could possibly purchase or lease some locomotives in place of 5 or 10 of these, in anticipation of future needs in that area. Alternatively, we could possibly purchase some heavier artillery right now, instead of planning future upgrades to the batteries I have proposed. I hope to hear from General Kurtz on this subject as well.

I was aware that General Scott's ideas might not fit into your plans. I do believe he was telling me about a proposed raid, but it wasn't at Fayetteville. Anyway, he is not in St. Louis. You must do as you see fit.

Jabberwock

Sun May 04, 2008 9:21 pm

War Department

Sir -

My intention in suggesting that we have cavalry attack Rolla separate from the infantry, is that they could arrive before the infantry, and by the force of their initial attack, possibly prevent some destruction to both civilian and military property. The infantry would arrive shortly thereafter, and support them in any further action.

Jabberwock

CinCs East & West - War Department

Mon May 05, 2008 12:11 am

War Department
Washington, August 5, 1861

To: Major Generals Cai & Kurtz

Sirs -

I have just reviewed your most recent field reports reports on disease & desertion in the ranks. I will ask the president to revise his recruitment proposal in regards to methods and doctrine to more effectively deal with these issues. Strategic and operational doctrine may need to be revised as well, but that will take more time to work out.

AndrewKurtz

Mon May 05, 2008 1:01 pm

Alexandria, VA
August 1, 1861

Mr President,

Given the current positioning and posture of our forces in the east, artillery batteries would appear a more important investment than steamboats for supply or transport.

However, needs in the western theatre may dictate otherwise.

Best,
General Kurtz

johnnycai
Major

Tue May 06, 2008 2:17 pm

West Theatre HQ.
St. Louis, August 4, 1861

I understand now your last telegram regarding increasing our riverine supply capacity. Supply must be raised, and I also agree with Major General Kurtz in his request for more firepower thru artillery.
My reinforcement requests for the West continue to be generals, cavalry and artillery.

Sincerly,
General Cai

Jabberwock

CinCs East & West - Executive

Wed May 07, 2008 4:01 am

Executive Mansion

Gentlemen -

Per our discussions, here is the final requisition for the first half of this month.

• 7 Infantry regiments (various types)
  • 4 Cavalry regiments

East
  • Delaware - 3 lt. bttys.
  • Pennsylvania - 1 rgt. SS
  • Maryland - 3 rgts. Cavalry, 1 btty. Napoleons
  • New Jersey - 2 bttys. Napoleons
  • West Virginia - 2 lt. bttys.
  • 1 Engineers rgt.
Total - 1 SS., 3 Cav., 5 6lb., 3 12lb., 1 Eng.

West
  • Illinois - 3 rgts. Cavalry, 2 bttys. Napoleons
  • Ohio - 3 rgts. Cavalry, 1 rgt. SS, 1 btty. Napoleons
  • Missouri - 2 lt. bttys., 2 ironclads
  • 1 Engineers rgt.
Total - 1 SS., 6 Cav., 2 6lb., 3 12lb., 2 ironclads, 1 Eng.

East or West
  • 1 rgt. Sailors
  • 1 rgt. Zouaves (PA)

Naval
  • 1 sqdn. brigs (Mid-Atlantic)
  • 3 sqdns. transports (New England)

Economic Development
  • 10 Steamboats

This still leaves us with no money in the treasury, no further conscripts available for two weeks, but with a reserve of supplies.

Changes from the previous proposal:

Unassigned
- 3 Inf.
- 1 SS.
- 1 Cav.

East
+ 1 Cav.
- 1 6lb.
+ 3 12lb.
- 1 Eng.

West
+ 2 Cav.
+ 1 6 lb.
+ 1 12 lb.
- 1 Gunboat

East or West
+ 1 Zouaves

Naval
no changes

Economic Development
- 15 Steamboats

Notes
  • Many of the cavalry recruits in the final requisition will have less equine experience than what was planned in the original proposal.
  • According to General Scott, The new doctrine for use of Zouaves is to add them to "Sailor's Brigades" wherever possible. That is the plan for the regiment included in this final order.

Jabberwock

Wed May 07, 2008 4:28 am

War Department

Sir -

In regards to the proposed raid for Ft. Smith, Arkansas ... one of the objections raised was a lack of available resupply. Could you possibly include a forward cavalry base at Bolivar, Mississippi or any of the small harbors in that vicinity into your plans, in order to address this issue?

johnnycai
Major

Wed May 07, 2008 4:11 pm

West Theatre HQ.
St. Louis, August 8, 1861

We will need to seize as many river harbours and towns as we can in order to stretch the rebels defences. Hopefully soon, once we muster an offensive force and ships for these tasks. Whether these objectives can be easily attainable before we assault Island10, Ft. Henry/Donelson and Paducah will need to be considered.
Our plan could be to cutoff Missouri by attacking Little Rock/Ft. Smith amphibiously.

Sincerely,
General Cai

Jabberwock

Wed May 07, 2008 5:16 pm

War Department
Washington, August 8, 1861

Sir -

The Arkansas or White Rivers would be the most convenient means for cavalry to reach the locations in question. Using those routes, they wouldn't need to run past any significant fortifications or large concentrations of rebels.

If we get stalled at Springfield or Fayetteville, we should definitely consider an amphibious strike at Little Rock and/or Fort Smith.

Jabberwock

CinC East - War Department [Not For Transmission - Confidential - Receipt Required]

Wed May 07, 2008 5:46 pm

War Department
Washington, August 8, 1861

Sir -

The first purpose of this message is to inform you that the plans for a reoccupation of Florida have been temporarily put on hold.

The second purpose is to inform you of a new strategic plan for the eastern theater, entitled "March to the Mountains". The objective of this plan is to cut off supply and reinforcement routes from the southern states into Virginia.

In the summer of next year, 35-60,000 troops, supported by warships and cavalry, will land at several locations along the coasts of North and South Carolina. They will sweep west and northwest in three columns, destroying all depots and rail between the Tar and Santee Rivers, converging about Lexington, NC. Brigs and monitors will patrol the Santee, Lumber, and Roanoke rivers - harassing or interdicting reinforcements and supply into and through the area by the rebels. Additional cavalry support will be provided from the planned base at Covington.

This serves our governing doctrine of strategic offense / tactical defense. If successful, the rebels will face severe supply problems for their main army in Virginia by 1863, forcing a general withdrawal from the theater, and providing us with opportunities to eliminate their forces while retreating and out of supply.

Please consider the requirements for this plan to be effectively executed, and reply with your thoughts and concerns.

AndrewKurtz

Thu May 08, 2008 12:33 pm

Alexandria, VA
August 16, 1861

Mr President,

Jackson remains at Harpers Ferry with only a small militia in Winchester, however, the opportunity to strike has passed as Hooker is now positioned east of the valley and is entrenching.

Given the change in the plans for Florida, militia units have been ordered from Atlantic City to join with General Burnside for training and to act a reserve rapid reaction force. Other forces continue to entrench.

Have ordered General Mansfield to Ft. Monroe. Despite attempting to procure the best rail and naval transportation, unknown issues have delayed his arrival for 23 days. Once Mansfield arrives and an orderly transfer of command takes place, General Butler will immediately be ordered to form a new AoP corps.

Finally, we have launched a cavalry raid towards Lynchburg to cut that rail line from the west. We expect to have completed a significant disruption of the enemy's ability to transfer troops between east and west by early September.

Will review new proposed plans and advise in the coming days.

Yours now and always,
General Kurtz

Jabberwock

Thu May 08, 2008 5:13 pm

War Department
Washington, August 16, 1861

Sir -

Had we availed ourselves of this opportunity to strike at Jackson ... General Hunter, unsupported, would likely have encountered all of the rebel forces in northern Virginia at Ball's Bluff or Leesburg. I do not believe we could have afforded the consequences of that encounter.

I certainly recognize your need for additional troops in Maryland and Pennsylvania, especially volunteer infantry if we are to conduct the defense in depth that I had envisioned and requested. The volunteers at Atlantic City were transiting through your departmental jurisdiction, and I firmly believe the security of the nation does require their use as you have ordered. However, I must inform you, sir, I do not enjoy being presented with a fait accompli with regards to troops that had been designated for other purposes. Had this reassignment of troops been phrased as a request, it would certainly have been granted. We will have difficulty coordinating the amphibious movements which will lead to a successful conclusion of this war, if we cannot work together efficiently. In the interests of the nation's security and of harmonious relations between us as officers and gentlemen, I will let this matter rest in situ, and move on to other matters.

Intelligence reports indicate that the enemy cavalry force formerly wreaking havoc at Sumter, WV is currently operating around Moore, WV in the vicinity of Romney.

The company of the US Cavalry rgt. near Harper's Ferry has the opportunity to destroy the railroad there. This area is expected to be under enemy control for several months. Should you so desire, orders can be issued through this office to that effect.

The company of the US Cavalry rgt. near Salem has made an excellent start. They should continue as planned. Additional forces will be made available to secure Covington.

Delaware volunteers in Carroll, MD have the opportunity to secure the area and begin work on defenses at that location. Should you so desire, orders can be issued through this office for one of the volunteer brigades to begin work on fortifications, while the other joins the main army.

Colonel Twain's 1st Md Brigade at Baltimore is available for orders. There are other units in the vicinity that are entrenching. Should you so desire, orders can be issued through this office, sending them to wherever you see fit. A similar situation holds for the 6th Delaware volunteers, in Wilmington, DE. Should you so desire, they can be joined with forces in pre-existing entrenchments, moved out of the city to entrench in environs, or sent to another location.

Magruder has left the vicinity of Hampton Roads, taking the bulk of his forces with him. He is currently believed to be stationed in Richmond, within easy supporting distance by rail of the rebel forces in Northern Virginia, but no longer an immediate threat to Fort Monroe. This may give us the opportunity to transfer Butler without waiting for an orderly change of command, if the situation requires it.

During the lackadaisical tenure of your predecessor, the enemy has taken the opportunity to organize his army into mutually supporting forces. This allows him to assume the strategic offensive, while remaining for the most part on the tactical defensive. We are just now trying to accomplish this type of organization. Should you so desire, I can temporarily reassign General Banks to your command to help with this organization, until an adequate replacement can be found, as his services are needed elsewhere. Official orders are being issued for General Burnside to be temporarily transferred to your command, for the duration of the present crisis, and until an adequate replacement can be found.

I take this opportunity to apologize for any friction that has developed between this office and your headquarters. If I seem to interfere in your plans more than those of your western counterpart, it is only due to my firm conviction that this war will be won by you, in the east. If I have personally offended you in any way, then I also take this opportunity to offer you my full personal apology.

Your Obedient Servant,
Lt. General Winfield Scott

Jabberwock

Thu May 08, 2008 6:44 pm

War Department

Sir -

General Hunter has crossed into your jurisdiction. Orders have been issued transferring him to your command.

Circumstances relating to the current shortage of general officers dictate that General Burnside will not be available for recruiting duties immediately. General Banks may also not be available as planned.

The immediate defensive situation in your department seems to be well under control. We will continue to provide cavalry, artillery, naval forces, and volunteer reinforcements to you. The enemy has several capably led corps threatening our forces covering Washington DC, and our commanders in the vicinity lack the required training for mutual support. Therefore, reinforcements to that area must take priority. Please continue to cover all tempting cavalry targets, be watchful for enemy threats from Bowling Greene, and keep me informed of further plans to reoccupy Kentucky and Missouri.

Your Obedient Servant,
Lt. General Winfield Scott

P.S. Any diversion that could be provided along the Virginia-Tennessee rail lines would be most opportune.

P.P.S. Once the 3rd Naval Regiment in California is fully mustered, since no Zouaves are available in the area, could they please be brigaded with one of the Regular Army regiments in the far west?

Jabberwock

CinC East - Navy Department

Thu May 08, 2008 7:10 pm

Navy Department

Sir -

Recent surveys have determined that our patrols in the Potomac River would be inadequate to prevent a crossing from Alexandria into Washington DC, should the former place fall into enemy hands.

Current intelligence assessments indicate no threat of a move towards the eastern shore of the Chesapeake from Confederate forces.

Recent reinforcements to the forces at Richmond make our blockade there inadequate to its task.

Pending your approval, plans are for the 2nd Naval Brigade of Sailors and Zouaves to board transports for the Lower Santee River, for a strike at Branchville, Columbia, or Camden, SC.

We have four possible immediate objectives in the Chesapeake area, with adequate resources to accomplish two or three of them:

1. Cover the crossings from Alexandria to Washington, DC ... in the events that we can increase patrol effectiveness and that Alexandria were to fall into enemy hands.
2. Continue to patrol the lower Potomac and the Chesapeake, preventing amphibious invasions into Maryland.
3. Provide more ships for the blockade at Richmond.
4. Assign either one or four brigs to the Rappahannock River to provide intelligence on enemy movements in the area; and/or to interdict supplies and reinforcements, again given that we can increase the effectiveness of our patrols.

For these efforts, we have immediately available 10 steam frigates, 7 brigs in 5 squadrons, and 6 transports in 3 squadrons (if the Mermaid and Fairway out of Atlantic City are included).

Please let me know your priorities amongst these objectives, so that I can be of the most possible help to you.

johnnycai
Major

Fri May 09, 2008 3:27 am

General Cai Status Report
Union Army, West, HQ St. Louis

To: War Dept, USA.
President Lincoln

Sirs,
Lyon marched unopposed into Rollo but unfortunately its depot was destroyed before it could be fired. His troops have requested rest back in St. Louis, but I am ordering him to stay in Rollo for now but send the MO cavalry against the rebel regiment who torched the depot. This will further improve our relations with the local citizenary.

In Cincinnati, the rebel cavalry has retreated south of the Kentucky/Ohio river. 5th IN & 3rd OH militia, have been ordered to secure the Mercer harbour near Lexington. We have Gen Wallace arriving in 1-2 weeks from Indianapolis with orders to assume command at Mercer.

McClellan[McC] has been ordered to hold Louisville. His reports say 16,000 troops around Bowling Green. [McC] has only assembled 6 thousand IN, OH, & KY militia. His request for cannon/reinforcements has been approved. His orders are to hold but our fear of his 'tendancy's' will intervene. Also to immediately tear up all rail in Ky south of Louisville. The local population has agreed that it support the Union to speed our victory.

Fremont at Cairo has reported a lone 'stubborn' regiment of cavalry is roaming the countryside and has waylaid 2 train of milita arriving.
Overall, the situation is good and the rebs have remained in place.

General Halleck has arrived here and has assumed local command at HQ. His skills in drilling the men will keep the men postive while improving them.

Salem reports our forces have held but a lone 'stubborn, again!' rebel cavalry regiment is keeping our forces at bay for now.

My requests for your consideration are for as many riverships you can build for the rivers out here. We will need some marines/sailors in due time also so I request to move the 3rd Naval regiment to St.Louis to be joined by all future regiments for the near-term. I ask you for clarification of target and objectives for the next month. I believe we should target Ft. Henry

regards,
Major General Cai

Jabberwock

CinC West - Executive

Fri May 09, 2008 5:06 am

Executive Mansion

Sir -

Have been in consult with Gen. Scott & Sec. Welles all afternoon and evening.

We would suggest immediately targeting all enemy cavalry to follow up on our successes, and hopefully eliminate some of these threats. Any cavalry regiment fighting for their lives will be less interested in acts of hooliganism. If we can destroy these raiders, while building our own cavalry forces, we could take the initiative, gaining the ability to isolate points of attack and forcing the rebels to tie up troops defending their supply lines.

McClellan's telegram direct to General Scott reports he has 4,000 troops facing 22,000 confederates at Bowling Greene. Please ask him to clarify.

Is it possible that McC could be transferred to the east? Can Fremont, Halleck, or Hunter handle the defense of Louisville? We could very much use McC's services as an organizer here. We are looking now for any officers we can promote. We will try to have some more generals for you during the current campaign season.

We are making additional gunboats the highest priority item for your command, followed by amphibious troops and cavalry. It is likely that the currently mustering Engineer regiments will both be needed near Washington for the rest of the year. We will try to get you some of those eventually as well. They should assist you in holding whatever you can capture.

Now that General McClernand has made the social rounds, please order him to start holding meetings and rallies in Chicago. With Burnside unavailable and the Confederates mobilized, we desperately need those troops.

On a related topic, Scott informs me that new cavalry and artillery units should not attempt to use the same facilities simultaneously for enlistment purposes. This only leads to confusion, and may delay deployment. New units should complete the mustering process before attempting to take part in local defenses. In fact, if each new regiment was provided with its own designated location for mustering and enlistment, that would speed its organization into an effective force. Please issue the necessary orders to sort out the recruitment process.

If the Confederates are reinforcing Bowling Greene at the expense of Fort Henry or Paducah, and you believe you have adequate forces to take and hold one of those points, then you should strike before reinforcements arrive or shore batteries can be emplaced along your expected route. Paducah seems a better choice for defense of the confluents, but Fort Henry is much better for future offensive operations. Paducah also appears to be better defended.

If you have any troops to spare, an assault on Prestonburg might be a good idea. I remember we were reserving that as a target for some reason, but it seems to me that there are plenty of possible targets in the general area. Operations based out of Prestonburg have the potential for drawing enemy reinforcements away from the east.

We've also been going over the map of Missouri. Scott claims that Springfield is not a tenable position in the long term for the rebels without support from Fayetteville, and Fayetteville is not tenable without support from Fort Smith. We do realize the difficulties in getting adequately supplied troops that far, but the further down the chain you can make your initial strike, the better the results.

Anything you can do in the next two months to take the initiative can only help here.

Jabberwock

Fri May 09, 2008 5:42 am

War Department

Fom Lt. Gen. W. Scott

Sir -

Upon my return to the office this evening I discover that the President's most recent telegram to you did not address the situation in regards to the 3rd Naval Regiment.
If you order them to Missouri, there should be a suitable regiment to brigade them with in the vicinity by the time they arrive.

In addition, please be prepared for an enemy attempt on the rail lines at Union, MO.

Jabberwock

Fri May 09, 2008 8:02 am

War Department
Washington, August 17, 1861

Sir -

Upon further review of the available forces, the 1st PA Brigade can be pulled from entrenchment and security duties in Franklin, PA by the 1st proximo. If one of the available volunteer brigades were immediately sent to take its place, they could expand the current fortified positions, while the 1st PA joined our front line forces. I would suggest the 6th DE for this task.

Jabberwock

Fri May 09, 2008 8:22 am

War Department

Sir -

When you have adequate forces prepared to move forward from Louisville, I believe a strike at Livingstone, which is liable to be lightly defended, by a force of about half the size of that of the rebels at Bowling Greene, would effectively flank the rebel forces out of Bowling Greene by threatening Nashville and their supply lines. It appears that the insurgents are putting most of their strength up front in this area, and will not be strongly defending in depth.

That is, in the case that an assault on Fort Henry has not already accomplished this objective.

AndrewKurtz

Fri May 09, 2008 11:53 am

Alexandria, VA
August 16, 1861

General Scott,

Comments received. Had understood that the forces in Atlantic City were designated for the movement against Florida, which you cancelled, with no future movement planned until 1862. In the future, should you inform me that troops, under my command, are no longer designated for one purpose yet you prefer they remain idle, please so specify. Otherwise, I shall use such troops as deemed best to both impact current operations yet ensure that they are ready, in fact more ready than if sitting idle, for planned future operations.

Yours,
General Kurtz

Jabberwock

CinC East - Executive Proposal

Fri May 09, 2008 7:16 pm

Executive Mansion

Gentlemen -

I have a new proposal for discussion.

• none

East
  • Pennsylvania - 1 rgt. Cavalry
  • West Virginia - 1 lt. btty.
  • Maryland - 3 bttys. Napoleons
Total - 1 Cav., 1 6lb. btty, 3 12lb. bttys.

West
  • Illinois - 1 btty. Napoleons
  • Missouri - 3 gunboats
Total - 1 12lb. btty., 3 gunboats

East or West
  • 1 rgt. Sailors

Economic & Naval Development
  • 10 Locomotives
  • 15 Steamboats

This leaves us with a very small amount of money and conscripts, and a reserve of supplies. It is hoped that these reserves will be adequate for planned repair to the railroads.

Please comment or endorse.

johnnycai
Major

Fri May 09, 2008 7:22 pm

Union Army Command- West, HQ St. Louis

To: War Dept, USA.
President Lincoln

Sirs,
In response to your last telegram, [McC] will need to remain in Louisville for the next month at least until other brigadiers can assume command of the local forces. [McC] reports he has close to 6,000 men directly under command currently in defensive posture around Louisville. I understand your hesitation in reading [McC] reports as I have already found him to be easily disturbed by having the enemy within 10days march of him.

Livingston will be scouted as you suggest for a possible tactical strike upcoming.
The rebel raiders in MO will be monitored for now, Our cavalry units in Jefferson City and Lyon's attached MO cavalry brigade will ensure our communications and supply in that area. Lyon will await a supply wagon before embarking towards Springfield.
Banks and McClernand have begun holding conscription rallies. McClernand has reported, in his opinion, that Chicago will add an additional 7companies in the next rally at the end of the month, this should continue as both have arranged for bi-weekly rally's at their locations. Banks has suggested he may be able to add 6companies while holding his semi-monthly rallies in Baltimore.
I reiterate my request for General Burnside to also begin recruitment rally's in our more populous cities in the East such as New York, Boston or Philadelphia.
Advise our HQ when Burnside becomes available for his current assignment so he can assigned to recruiting also.

I understand the need for a quick and decisive battle to ease the pressure of the people,press and of Congress on ourselves but the West theatre will need to further organize and acquire competent generals before major operations are launched

Sincerly,
Major General Cai

Return to “American Civil War, The Grand Campaign”