DON
Sergeant

Colored brigade start of 1862 campaign

Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:38 pm

At the start of the 1862 campaign there is a colored brigade in Pennsylvania. Although the Union began to enlist blacks in some colored units during 1862, I do not believe there were any separate units, and certainly not of brigade strength, in March when the campaign begins. After the fall of New Orleans in 1862 the Lousiana Native Guards were mustered into Union service, and I think they were the first officially sanctioned black regiment. The Cincinnati Black brigade was mustered into service in September 1862. They served as labor troops in Kentucky and had no weapons issued to them.

PhilThib

Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:42 pm

Thanks for the tip, I was mistaken when I read the date datas... will be fixed in a future patch :cwboy:

DON
Sergeant

Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:09 pm

Wow! I can't get over how quick and responsive your company is to input!

christof139
Lieutenant

Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:18 am

DON wrote:At the start of the 1862 campaign there is a colored brigade in Pennsylvania. Although the Union began to enlist blacks in some colored units during 1862, I do not believe there were any separate units, and certainly not of brigade strength, in March when the campaign begins. After the fall of New Orleans in 1862 the Lousiana Native Guards were mustered into Union service, and I think they were the first officially sanctioned black regiment. The Cincinnati Black brigade was mustered into service in September 1862. They served as labor troops in Kentucky and had no weapons issued to them.

:hat: Yup, and the original Louisiana Native Guard Militia unit actually marched fully armed and equipped in the Secession Parade in New Orleans when Louisiana seceeded and it served the State for awhile, but the stupid CSA central government declined its service, so when the USA captured New Orleans these troops enlisted in the Union Army, and more regiments of black Louisianians were enlisted and they were the first organized bodies of black troops to see combat at the Siege of Port Hudson, Louisiana in June of 1863. I have a good book about them.

The famous photo of a group of the Louisiana Native Guards standing with an Union Officer and Union flag is a fake and was altered from the original photo, as the original photo shows them in their Louisiana Militia uniforms that were I believe a light gray or blue in color, and that is why their uniforms appear as so light a shade in the altered as well as the original photo.

Chris
That's a USS Cairo class river ironclad, one of Pook's turtles.

Return to “Help to improve AACW!”