Spruce
Lieutenant Colonel

some bugs reported

Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:54 pm

1. CSA = steam frigate Crockett got build in Fulton - the frigate is blocked there from further movement - a pitty - it was a nice ship.

2. Militia's seem to have "play cards" tendencies. I mean they flock in one city and are locked and can't be moved. F.e. I have some cities in my game (GA state) where I have 4 militia's but can't move them to spread out. Very nasty.

3. CSS Alabama can be moved from England to CSA water long ago before the event fires. I had the CSS Alabama fight battles before the game log fired the event.

4. The Union lost many of it ships during my game - I suspect from fortress bombardment. I can't prove it - cause sunken ships are poorly displayed. I think the Union went from 15% blue water blockade to 5% blue water blockade. I think they relentlessly attacked my fortresses and got return fire trough their hulL

5. In my game I don't have any issue with resources - I have huge stocks of war supplies, gen. supplies and ammo. Why did this happen, the CSA had resource problems historically IIRC.

LMUBill
Lieutenant

Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:04 am

Spruce wrote:5. In my game I don't have any issue with resources - I have huge stocks of war supplies, gen. supplies and ammo. Why did this happen, the CSA had resource problems historically IIRC.

Actually there were enough resources. The problem was in transportation. The road/rail/shipping infrastructure was not enough to handle the amount of traffic needed to get raw materials to the few production facilities and then from there to the cities/supply depots/troops, etc.

I remember reading or hearing somewhere that at the end of the war there was a depot in Montgomery that had enough shoes in storage to suply each CSA soldier three pairs but they had no way to ship them out.

christof139
Lieutenant

Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:26 am

LMUBill wrote:Actually there were enough resources. The problem was in transportation. The road/rail/shipping infrastructure was not enough to handle the amount of traffic needed to get raw materials to the few production facilities and then from there to the cities/supply depots/troops, etc.

I remember reading or hearing somewhere that at the end of the war there was a depot in Montgomery that had enough shoes in storage to suply each CSA soldier three pairs but they had no way to ship them out.

Yeah, you're right, the CSA transportation system was in very bad shape. There were something like 40,000 complete sets of uniforms in NC at the end of the war. Of Course Guv. Vance hoarded them but he did give tesn of thousands to the CSA Central Govn't.

Chris
That's a USS Cairo class river ironclad, one of Pook's turtles.

Spruce
Lieutenant Colonel

Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:57 pm

hm, about the resources. I think I have to disagree. The CSA had a far inferior economical output compared to the Union. In the game, this doesn't make a real difference - wether or not to upgrade your economy. It should be reflected in the game. If you don't invest in your economy, you don't have drawbacks. This sounds very weird ... but it's true. Did any of you had real problems with war supplies, gen supplies, ammo and conscription companies ?

The only real constraint for the CSA is money. War supplies, ammo and general supplies are not a problem at all. And my armies are not specifically underpowered. And money isn't increased by economical development.

I think the nice toys should be made more expensive for the CSA, otherwise any economy upgrade would be in vain.

Pocus

Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:38 pm

You manage to have enough war supplies as CSA without investing in econ?

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Spruce
Lieutenant Colonel

Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:13 am

Pocus wrote:You manage to have enough war supplies as CSA without investing in econ?

yeah, I don't know what to spend them on ! The only real constraint is money.

I did some investment early game in the economy, but that was spread out until the late '61 ... but nothing big.

Pocus

Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:58 am

War supplies are mostly used for artillery and ironclads... You can indeed play the game conscripting only troops which use only one WSU, but you are limiting yourself to half the units.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Spruce
Lieutenant Colonel

Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:49 pm

Pocus wrote:War supplies are mostly used for artillery and ironclads... You can indeed play the game conscripting only troops which use only one WSU, but you are limiting yourself to half the units.

interesting point of view I might say. However, when I check on the "amount of troops possible to recruit" and I compared this to the "actual recruited" figure, it seems my artillery is already well drafted early game. So i choose to draft more infantry. You get lots of free artillery (or you already get it).

I really think you should consider increasing the war supply consumption and supply and ammo consumption. Just to jester the CSA a little, Imho the CSA has a walk in the park judged on resources.

with one exception = money ! That seems quite ok with me.

christof139
Lieutenant

Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:32 am

Spruce wrote:hm, about the resources. I think I have to disagree. The CSA had a far inferior economical output compared to the Union. In the game, this doesn't make a real difference - wether or not to upgrade your economy. It should be reflected in the game. If you don't invest in your economy, you don't have drawbacks. This sounds very weird ... but it's true. Did any of you had real problems with war supplies, gen supplies, ammo and conscription companies ?

The only real constraint for the CSA is money. War supplies, ammo and general supplies are not a problem at all. And my armies are not specifically underpowered. And money isn't increased by economical development.

I think the nice toys should be made more expensive for the CSA, otherwise any economy upgrade would be in vain.

Yes, but it was not only lack war supplies that choked the South, but also lack of supplies needed by civilians and industry and farms, the loss of Southern territory andd its indigenous production, and last but not least the lack of railroad, riverine, and wagon transport available to the South to move the supplies.

The South produced a large, huge amount of uniforms from locally made and imported cloth, and the supply of homemade gunpowder was nearly enough to sustain the armies, as was the supply of indigenous lead, but as the South lost more territory and lead and all important salt mines and smaller local industries, it produced less and less.

A big concern was tranporting the supplies to the various armies and forces, and the deterioration of the Southern railroad system, river transports, and wagons stopped a lot of much needed supplies from getting to the CSA forces. Animal drawn wagons were in great demand and there were never nearly enough of them, especially in the Trans miss., and much time, effort, and resources were put into producing as many wagons as possible.

The South produced over 300 heavy cannon, about 1,000 or so field guns, and with the initial and latter day captures from the USA had near sufficient numbers of these arms and various supplies. What the South most drastically lacked was available military manpower.

Chris
That's a USS Cairo class river ironclad, one of Pook's turtles.

Spruce
Lieutenant Colonel

Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:19 pm

:sourcil: hm, is there a way to model this in the game ?

I mean, the only constraint is money - and a few turns of investment yield loads of extra supplies and war supplies.

shouldn't we consider to put a malus on supply production if your railroad and river capacity goes below a certain figure.

Pocus

Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:34 am

we can do an overall reduction of war supplies or supplies, if people are ok with that. The current figures were balanced somehow, but perhaps too generous, it is very difficult to say.

Spruce
Lieutenant Colonel

Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:35 pm

Pocus wrote:we can do an overall reduction of war supplies or supplies, if people are ok with that. The current figures were balanced somehow, but perhaps too generous, it is very difficult to say.

In the april scenario I didn't build much new units early game - I choose to invest in my states. Most of the time I was lucky with the extra production - but I think there are 3 options =

- reduce the benefit from economical development (smaller bonuses),
- make artillery and ironclads and ships costs more war supplies, ammo etc,
- increase supply consumption from your untis,

I think all 3 options are interesting to consider. By the way, I play a good game - I didn't lose any strategical cornerpoints - and was able to make a nice incursion into Kentucky and Missouri that really pissed the Union off.

Spruce
Lieutenant Colonel

Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:44 pm

Pocus, I just realised that the Union has a very bad blockade efficieny in my game. Does this blockade efficiency also effects my state productions ? If so, I might be feeding from this ahistorical low blockade efficiency,
I suspect the Union AI to have thrown his ships onto my fortresses and that's why he lost so many ships.

tc237
Colonel

Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:01 pm

Pocus,
Maybe we should wait for more feedback before any changes.
Most players haven't finished one campaign yet.
As Spruce posted, there can be many factors responsible.

Spruce
Lieutenant Colonel

Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:19 pm

tc237 wrote:Pocus,
Maybe we should wait for more feedback before any changes.
Most players haven't finished one campaign yet.
As Spruce posted, there can be many factors responsible.

yes, I agree with you - but it would be nice to know what relationship there is between the blockading efficiency and the state production.

Pocus

Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:10 pm

right, before changing something the AI must put more emphasize of blockade...

Pocus

Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:12 pm

every CSA region is affected by the blockade percentage, up to a maximum of -49.5% output (if you ever manage to blockade at 99%). This is in addition to a brown blockade against a given harbor, which also cut by -50% all output of the said region.

For example Charleston under tactical blockade + 99% blue blockade = 25% production coeff.

Further modified by region loyalty and Morale, as expected.

Spruce
Lieutenant Colonel

Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:54 pm

Pocus wrote:every CSA region is affected by the blockade percentage, up to a maximum of -49.5% output (if you ever manage to blockade at 99%). This is in addition to a brown blockade against a given harbor, which also cut by -50% all output of the said region.

For example Charleston under tactical blockade + 99% blue blockade = 25% production coeff.

Further modified by region loyalty and Morale, as expected.

thank you ! My CSA morale was very good (about 120-130) and the Blockading efficiency was only 5% in the 2 boxes.

Combined with the fact I was able to take some Kentucky cities, this explains my nice production output ! :nuts: So indeed it's too early to rebalance.

Spruce
Lieutenant Colonel

Tue May 01, 2007 10:54 pm

is there any feedback on the other bugs ? For sure the landlocked steam frigate is silly.

Pocus

Wed May 02, 2007 8:59 am

Spruce wrote:1. CSA = steam frigate Crockett got build in Fulton - the frigate is blocked there from further movement - a pitty - it was a nice ship.

We will check that, but we already reworked the building areas, so this comes as a surprise.

2. Militia's seem to have "play cards" tendencies. I mean they flock in one city and are locked and can't be moved. F.e. I have some cities in my game (GA state) where I have 4 militia's but can't move them to spread out. Very nasty.

they can't be moved either because they are being built (red stripe) or they are state militias, given at start, which are not supposed to move. This would be my explaination.

3. CSS Alabama can be moved from England to CSA water long ago before the event fires. I had the CSS Alabama fight battles before the game log fired the event.

we will double check that

4. The Union lost many of it ships during my game - I suspect from fortress bombardment. I can't prove it - cause sunken ships are poorly displayed. I think the Union went from 15% blue water blockade to 5% blue water blockade. I think they relentlessly attacked my fortresses and got return fire trough their hulL

yes true, they bombard too much. I lowered the interest in that in 1.02, but the AI still need some works on that true.

5. In my game I don't have any issue with resources - I have huge stocks of war supplies, gen. supplies and ammo. Why did this happen, the CSA had resource problems historically IIRC.

Are you building ironclads and artilleries as historically? Perhaps you are performing better than reality because the blockade is too low than historical too.

Spruce
Lieutenant Colonel

Wed May 02, 2007 6:32 pm

point 2 = the point is that militia's seem to "flock" in one city. After my city in Georgia received its fourth militia (which is locked) - it's very silly to notice cause my other cities have no militia whatsoever. And basicly that's the reason i drafted more militia - so that's bogus.

Pocus

Wed May 02, 2007 7:22 pm

understood, this is something that we want to be improved right, this will also help the AI garrison more efficiently, so this should come rapidly.

Spruce
Lieutenant Colonel

Wed May 02, 2007 8:51 pm

Pocus wrote:understood, this is something that we want to be improved right, this will also help the AI garrison more efficiently, so this should come rapidly.

ok, thank you very much !

Return to “Help to improve AACW!”