SWampIrish
Civilian

Texas Errors

Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:43 am

A couple minor errors that I have noticed right off the bat.

The region that Houston, TX resides in is called Hampstead (Hempstead is the proper spelling) but instead this region should be called Harris (or Harrisburg).

The region that lies directly between Liberty and the aforementioned Hampstead (Hempstead) is called Sabine. As Sabine is actually in the same area that Beaumont is in, the Sabine area could be renamed to Chambers (which only encompasses only part of that region) or you can name it Lynchburg (probably preferable as Chambers County also encompasses the southern part of the Liberty region). The Battle of Sabine actually took place on that southeastern-most corner of the Beaumont region.

Just east of Beaumont is a region called Lake Charles, Texas. Lake Charles should actually be the region you have named Lisbon, LA and is indeed located in Louisiana. In fact your location for Lisbon seems to be the exact location for Lake Charles, LA. The Lake Charles, TX region could be name either Orange or Newton and even possibly Jasper. Orange is probably the most preferable.

To be certain, I have taken these names form an 1860 era Texas map. If the small Confederate flags actually represent cities, those names should be changed as well (except for the city of Houston). The most obvious two flag changes would be Lynchburg where you have Sabine and Orange where you have Lake Charles.

If you couldn't guess, this is also the area in shich I was born and raised.

PhilThib

Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:43 am

Thanks for the input...we'll make sure it makes it into the first patch where we have map names changes (not before a little time though, because we must collect more data first)... :coeurs:

christof139
Lieutenant

Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:26 pm

Sabine City and the battles and blockading activities at Sabine Pass are very well known, and maybe the whole province should be called Sabine since the large Sabine Lake and the Sabine River are of course also there.

Also, the railroad (I listed the name in another thread), stopped in beaumont and did not continue eastward into Louisiana, but had a spur line running south to Sabine City.

Lake Charles, Louisiana!!! Nice place with the college and all, I think the university is there if I remember correctly, and it is far enough removed from good old Ft. Puke, errr I mean Ft. Polk, Tigerland, Little Vietnam, to be a nice place, with decent fishing!!!

The Official Military Atlas of the Civil War, made to accompany the OR (Official Records), is available used sometimes on Ebay and at Amazon.com and elsewhere for as little as $20 excluding shipping. This HUGE book weighs 10 or so pounds, but it is worth the price and shipping cost. I paid about $40 - $60 for my harback copy years ago, and about had a heart attack when I saw the Atlas both new and used at Ebay and Amazon for $20. :p leure: :grr:

Chris
That's a USS Cairo class river ironclad, one of Pook's turtles.

SWampIrish
Civilian

Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:12 pm

PhilThib wrote:Thanks for the input...we'll make sure it makes it into the first patch where we have map names changes (not before a little time though, because we must collect more data first)... :coeurs:

No, that's cool. I have noticed more errors, and if you want I can compile a small spreadsheet and send it to you when I am finished.

I disagree with the previous poster that suggested changing the name of the Beaumont district to Sabine, but Fort Sabine should probably be noted on the map.

LMUBill
Lieutenant

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:50 am

christof139 wrote:Sabine City and the battles and blockading activities at Sabine Pass are very well known, and maybe the whole province should be called Sabine since the large Sabine Lake and the Sabine River are of course also there.

Also, the railroad (I listed the name in another thread), stopped in beaumont and did not continue eastward into Louisiana, but had a spur line running south to Sabine City.

Lake Charles, Louisiana!!! Nice place with the college and all, I think the university is there if I remember correctly, and it is far enough removed from good old Ft. Puke, errr I mean Ft. Polk, Tigerland, Little Vietnam, to be a nice place, with decent fishing!!!

The Official Military Atlas of the Civil War, made to accompany the OR (Official Records), is available used sometimes on Ebay and at Amazon.com and elsewhere for as little as $20 excluding shipping. This HUGE book weighs 10 or so pounds, but it is worth the price and shipping cost. I paid about $40 - $60 for my harback copy years ago, and about had a heart attack when I saw the Atlas both new and used at Ebay and Amazon for $20. :p leure: :grr:

Chris

I bought my copy at a Waldenbooks about 5 years ago for $10. :siffle:

christof139
Lieutenant

Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:38 am

LMUBill wrote:I bought my copy at a Waldenbooks about 5 years ago for $10. :siffle:

Unbelieveable and great price!!! I haven't seen it that cheap!!! :grr:

Is yours a hardcover?? I don't know if they make softcovers.

Chris

christof139
Lieutenant

Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:47 am

SWampIrish wrote:No, that's cool. I have noticed more errors, and if you want I can compile a small spreadsheet and send it to you when I am finished.

I disagree with the previous poster that suggested changing the name of the Beaumont district to Sabine, but Fort Sabine should probably be noted on the map.

For me it is all a matter of familiarity, and since the defeat of the Union invading force occurred at Sabine Pass and the Confeds captured 2 other Union blockaders on another occasion and before all that the Union did raid up Sabine Pass into Sabine Lake under the command of crocker as I recall of-hand, and added to the geographic features there bearing the name 'Sabine' this is why I recall that province/area as Sabine, plus there is the story and painting of 'The Rape of the Sabine Women' in early Roman Republican times, though years latter the Sabines were considered as Roman as the Romans were and were good allies of the Romans and were one of the first allies to be given full Roman citizenship.

Makes sense to me. :niark: :nuts:

Sabine, Sabine, Sabine, and yet Sabine again!!!

Actually it doesn't matter, Beaumont is also appropriate and good, but I just like Sabine.

BTW, where is Nisbett's Bluff???

Chris

LMUBill
Lieutenant

Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:46 pm

christof139 wrote:Unbelieveable and great price!!! I haven't seen it that cheap!!! :grr:

Is yours a hardcover?? I don't know if they make softcovers.

Chris

Hardcover. I use it for a coffee table if there is not a coffee table around. :p

christof139
Lieutenant

Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:23 am

LMUBill wrote:Hardcover. I use it for a coffee table if there is not a coffee table around. :p

It's big enough to be a coffee table. :niark:

Chris

Return to “Help to improve AACW!”