Stauffenberg
General

West Virginia

Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:49 pm

I've heard work has begun on rc10. Is there any chance of sneaking in some detailing for the West Virginia situation? In particular I am wondering about modeling the intense guerrilla war '61 - '63, and the overall county loyalty checks leading up to the formal establishment of the separate state in '63. A failure to establish this should be a major NM loss for the Union, and a plus for the South. I have not run through the campaign game enough (and especially as the Union) to know what is already there--if someone could detail what is already there I would appreciate it.

Captain_Orso

Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:21 pm

The 1.16rc10a public beta is already out since Friday: AACW {public beta} patch 1.16 Release Candidate 10a - January 13, 2012

There are no changes to current campaigns or scenarios being worked on other than to fix events and discrepancies.

[Insert the mandatory notice of the ability to create your own mods here]

In general I do not know of any special goals or awards to gaining military control over any regions other than strategic and objective cities and those appointed through events; Wheeling and Pittsburgh are both stratigic. If you take a strategic or objective city you will get a message in the log stating that your citizens are very pleased with this and you will get some MN awarded--although this is not always stated in the log--and 1 VP per turn that you hold them; more if there is an event that states this.

I've end-run Jackson into Harrisburg PA, taking and holding it for several turns before my supply started to wain and I don't think I got any NM for this at all. It just disrupted the Union's operations forcing them to gather a force together to try to throw me out again, which never happened because I skedaddled before they arrived. I'm not sure of what in-game significance Harrisburg has, but while displaying 'Strategic Towns'--press '3' while displaying the map--it's region is colored, but it's neither strategic nor an objective. It is the capital of PA in Real-Life™.

I think that strategically in the game, the importance of West Virginia for the South is to be able to threaten Wheeling and Pittsburgh. As the Union I almost always put a depot in Pendleton WV with a division and another division in Grafton to counter this. In Real-Life™ I don't know that WV played all that big of a role in the war . Giving WV official statehood in '63 I think had more political value than anything else, sort of like the Union patting itself on the shoulder for finding a friend and showing that the Union was still working; but I'm no historian.

lodilefty

Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:15 pm

Captain_Orso wrote:The 1.16rc10a public beta is already out since Friday: AACW {public beta} patch 1.16 Release Candidate 10a - January 13, 2012

There are no changes to current campaigns or scenarios being worked on other than to fix events and discrepancies.

[Insert the mandatory notice of the ability to create your own mods here]

In general I do not know of any special goals or awards to gaining military control over any regions other than strategic and objective cities and those appointed through events; Wheeling and Pittsburgh are both stratigic. If you take a strategic or objective city you will get a message in the log stating that your citizens are very pleased with this and you will get some MN awarded--although this is not always stated in the log--and 1 VP per turn that you hold them; more if there is an event that states this.

I've end-run Jackson into Harrisburg PA, taking and holding it for several turns before my supply started to wain and I don't think I got any NM for this at all. It just disrupted the Union's operations forcing them to gather a force together to try to throw me out again, which never happened because I skedaddled before they arrived. I'm not sure of what in-game significance Harrisburg has, but while displaying 'Strategic Towns'--press '3' while displaying the map--it's region is colored, but it's neither strategic nor an objective. It is the capital of PA in Real-Life™.

I think that strategically in the game, the importance of West Virginia for the South is to be able to threaten Wheeling and Pittsburgh. As the Union I almost always put a depot in Pendleton WV with a division and another division in Grafton to counter this. In Real-Life™ I don't know that WV played all that big of a role in the war . Giving WV official statehood in '63 I think had more political value than anything else, sort of like the Union patting itself on the shoulder for finding a friend and showing that the Union was still working; but I'm no historian.

The shape of WV is summed up in one word: RailRoad

The Baltimore & Ohio line runs through Harpers Ferry and northern WV. Owners were big suppporters of Lincoln. Create a new state with a funny shape as reward! [There was also something about the "finger" running north toward Pittsburg, can't recall what :blink: ]
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

Captain_Orso

Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:23 pm

lodilefty wrote:The shape of WV is summed up in one word: RailRoad

The Baltimore & Ohio line runs through Harpers Ferry and northern WV. Owners were big suppporters of Lincoln. Create a new state with a funny shape as reward! [There was also something about the "finger" running north toward Pittsburg, can't recall what :blink: ]

Yeah, but those railroads aren't all that great except for getting into WV itself. Everything beyond that has to be ferried over the Ohio.

A while ago I was wondering why when I railed generals from DC to Louisville--my main staging area in the west--they always went all the way up to the Lake Erie shoreline and then down to Kentucky. I also wondered why you could not rail over the Ohio except at Pittsburgh. I looked up when the first bridge was built over the Ohio River--it was at Wheeling, built before the war, collapsed and was rebuilt again and opened right at the beginning of the war. The Roebling bridge in Cincinnati wasn't completed until after the war and was only for foot and wagon traffic. No rail bridges were built until long after the war.

"The '"finger"' running north toward Pittsburgh"? Then there's the shotgun in the Shenandoah and what's that thingy from Maryland doing poking its way between Virginia and Pennsylvania? :blink: It's no wonder it came to war with all this poking in each others tender spots :neener:

Stauffenberg
General

Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:32 pm

lodilefty wrote:The shape of WV is summed up in one word: RailRoad

First off, I do appreciate the work going into a game 5 years old. This gem is worth continued patches and its much appreciated.

Playing with the house rule about having to have generals with deep raiding cavalry (that I am using) still does not have this requirement for southern border states (MO, KY, WV) and so the CSA in the game should be able to have the east-west WV RRs cut most of the time.

The "finger" must have been alarming to the people in Washington looking at a map--from that northern extremity of the state above Wheeling it was only some 100 miles to the northern border with Canada along Lake Erie. I'd argue that as far as ensuring WV joined the union, "failure was not an option" for Washington.

The intense guerrilla war fought there for the duration was the result, so I was wondering about any NM events already in, also how supplies and recruits the CSA got from WV tied in to this, or whether they might be somehow.

Stauffenberg
General

Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:09 pm

Captain_Orso wrote:
"The '"finger"' running north toward Pittsburgh"? Then there's the shotgun in the Shenandoah and what's that thingy from Maryland doing poking its way between Virginia and Pennsylvania? :blink: It's no wonder it came to war with all this poking in each others tender spots :neener:

And then that peculiar Jackson Purchase in W. Kentucky. Polk essentially drove Kentucky to join the north invading here just to ineffectually fortify Columbus a few miles across the border, when he should have gone directly to beat Grant into Paducah in my view.

Return to “Help to improve AACW!”