squarian
Brigadier General

Opponent's turn is missing??

Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:42 pm

Playing USA solo, 1.16rc7, I went back a turn to "correct" one of Athena's silly moves, opening the CSA side, changing the move, saving it, then processing the turn.

Since then, every time I process the turn, I get the "Opponent's turn is missing, do you really want to process the turn, thus reverting him to AI" message - except, AFAICT, the AI is doing nothing at all.

What's going on?
Attachments
Backup13.rar
(211.91 KiB) Downloaded 215 times
Backup12.rar
(229.66 KiB) Downloaded 204 times
AbeTest.rar
(309.51 KiB) Downloaded 197 times

Captain_Orso

Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:32 am

I did this to try something out from the CSA perspective, but I quit the game after backing up to before the test. I would try quitting the game and then starting it again before proceeding to the next turn.

---

Edit: *Gaaahh* now it's doing the same thing to me. The first turn after backing up one worked, but now Athena won't take over again :(

Captain_Orso

Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:42 am

I take everything back :(

Athena does nothing, and every turn the popup comes again and asks if you want to revert to AI control :p oke:

squarian
Brigadier General

Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:17 am

So this isn't what's supposed to happen if I "interfere" with the AI orders for a turn?

I'm only asking because it seems that if this is the case, playing the Union solitaire is not really an option. As we all know, the CSA AI is prone to bizarre behaviour. Apparently, the only way to correct Athena's lapses is to open the AI turn and change moves. But if the result is what I've encountered - Athena goes numb and pesters you with an error message forever - I'm not sure it's worth it.

On the other hand, perhaps this is some sort of aberration?

Durk

Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:07 am

This is what is supposed to happen if you make AI active as if it were a player.
“Opponent's turn missing” is for the two player game as a reminder that a new file is not present for one of the players. You are getting this message because you ended solitary play and changed the game to a two player game. The game system is looking for a human opponent's turn.
So far, everything is normal. If you execute the turn and AI with your modifications makes a move, all is well. The message will disappear the next turn you do not interfere with AI moves.
It is not a caution for solitaire play, but you are getting this because you temporarily suspended a solitary game for two player play.

But if what you are saying is that AI has quit making moves when you leave her alone, then this is more troubling.

Captain_Orso

Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:55 am

Yes Durk, your last sentence is what is correct.

When you click the bugle for move execution Athena notes that there is no move file from your opponent in the game directory (assuming that it's a PBEM or hot-seated game) and asks if she should take over for your opponent.

You click the check mark to confirm that she should, BUT
1. it appears that Athena plots no move for your opponent,
2. in the next turn she asks again.

If you do this and then look in Backup1 in your saved game directory, there is no order file for your opponent, as Athena has plotted none.

Durk

Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:26 am

Captain Orso, This is beyond me. I have seen a resume with Athena picking up the next turn. Never seen this situation resulting in AI saying, sorry, I am out of here.

I hope someone with better knowledge of the game system chimes in.

Pat "Stonewall" Cleburne
General of the Army

Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:14 am

Durk wrote:Captain Orso, This is beyond me. I have seen a resume with Athena picking up the next turn. Never seen this situation resulting in AI saying, sorry, I am out of here.

I hope someone with better knowledge of the game system chimes in.

I'm not sure how the system works exactly. But if you revert the to the AI it should actually do that. Never seen it just quit. Are you sure you have the AI activated in the options?

Captain_Orso

Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:38 am

Yup, one of the first things I checked.

It must have something to do with the saved game files, because if I backup one turn more to before I looked into Athena's move, in the load game menu the CSA is not listed for this game and Athena doesn't ask anymore and just plays for the south as usual.

Pocus

Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:44 am

squarian wrote:Playing USA solo, 1.16rc7, I went back a turn to "correct" one of Athena's silly moves, opening the CSA side, changing the move, saving it, then processing the turn.

Since then, every time I process the turn, I get the "Opponent's turn is missing, do you really want to process the turn, thus reverting him to AI" message - except, AFAICT, the AI is doing nothing at all.

What's going on?

This is a setting which should have been at true by default, named aiDoTakeOver
Currently it is at false, meaning the AI won't alter a file if you ever touched it (as you did). You can put aiDoTakeOver = 1 in an option file or you can wait for next RC where it will be correctly set at true...

This option was created for some PBEM players that will miss a turn but don't want the AI to touch their file.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

squarian
Brigadier General

Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:59 pm

Thanks, Pocus - I thought there was something awry. Looking forward to the next RC.

Return to “Help to improve AACW!”