squarian
Brigadier General

Raise Rule: WSU, City size ???

Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:52 pm

squarian wrote:The Case of the Missing Parrotts:

Oh, and Moriarty seems to have made off with three Coastal Arty also - the preceding turn, I also bought the three Coastal guns in GA. No show.

lodilefty

Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:11 pm

squarian wrote:Oh, and Moriarty seems to have made off with three Coastal Arty also - the preceding turn, I also bought the three Coastal guns in GA. No show.

They require you to control a Harbor that also generates WSU.

...and that is scenario dependant.... :blink:

Save game please...
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

squarian
Brigadier General

Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:19 pm

That may be the explanation then for both disappearances - NC and GA. I assumed Savannah was producing WS but I see it isn't. In the NC case, if a state is producing some but not enough WS, is the "purchase order" curtailed?
Attachments
Trial2lateMar62.rar
(463.5 KiB) Downloaded 320 times

Coldsteel
Sergeant

Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:20 pm

Hi everyone.

I have a question, So I just downloaded this new patch, and I started a new game as the Union. I have never had this happen before, but when I go to build some new Troops, nothing happens. They aren't built, and it doesn't say anything about it after I end my turn. . . . It's like I never even did anything / requested them. Is this a bug with the new update? Or am I just overlooking something?
I keep trying to build troops in Missouri and Maryland, to no avail.
Thanks in advance.

lodilefty

Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:00 pm

Coldsteel wrote:Hi everyone.

I have a question, So I just downloaded this new patch, and I started a new game as the Union. I have never had this happen before, but when I go to build some new Troops, nothing happens. They aren't built, and it doesn't say anything about it after I end my turn. . . . It's like I never even did anything / requested them. Is this a bug with the new update? Or am I just overlooking something?
I keep trying to build troops in Missouri and Maryland, to no avail.
Thanks in advance.

Depending on what type of troops, you need a City, or for artillery a City making WSU, in your MC. A village is enough to raise Militia....
MD and MO are finicky places to build..
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]

[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

Coldsteel
Sergeant

Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:22 pm

Hi Lodilefty,

Honestly, I currently occupy every city in Missouri. . . .

Does it go by whom the city prefers? (South over North)? So if I as the Union occupy Jefferson City, but it still favors the South say 75% to 25%, would it not create my toops then?
Just wondering, I never had this issue with 1.15 (My default Disc Version).

Thanks in advance!

lodilefty

Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:03 pm

Coldsteel wrote:Hi Lodilefty,

Honestly, I currently occupy every city in Missouri. . . .

Does it go by whom the city prefers? (South over North)? So if I as the Union occupy Jefferson City, but it still favors the South say 75% to 25%, would it not create my toops then?
Just wondering, I never had this issue with 1.15 (My default Disc Version).

Thanks in advance!

I guess I need a saved game to look....
[CENTER][/CENTER]

caranorn

Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:18 pm

Sorry but some of these changes sound awful and don't seem to reflect the historic reality of the ACW.

Confederate Forces in the Trans Mississippi were actually artillery heavy (look at the number of Confederate guns at Pea Ridge). Few if any of those pieces were built in the area. Many were from prewar arsenals (federal as well as state) and forts (bronze 6 pounders often). The more modern pieces were either imported, or recently captured from the Union. In AACW it is almost impossible to capture as many guns as were done historically...

In the end the force pools more or less simulate the capacity of a state to raise artillery. This should in no way be tied to WSU...

I'm not sure what you mean by needing a city to raise units other than militia. If by city you mean something other than a native village I guess I could agree (though Pike and Cooper raised a rather respectable brigade in the Indian territories). But if this actually means requiring a city level above 1 or so I'd have a problem. Historically brigades were formd at the front, that is on arrival of enough new regiments at the Army HQ's a new brigade would be formed and generally command given to the most senior regimental commander. Of course this is impossible in AACW. But any kind of "civilised" settlement should be able to assemble a sufficient force, in the end it's just a waypoint for regiments raised in a general vicinity...

I really hope historicity can be maintained as the priority in these patches. Some of the info about this most recent beta patch actually makes me regret Gray's no longer here. At least I knew he had a firm grasp of the conflict and would not let things like these pass unchecked...

P.S.: I don't have time to do major AACW historic research right now (and might not have for a year or two). So if we have no researchers left of the original beta team I'd beg to just slow down changeing design elements of the game so other volunteers can get up to speed on these issues (I will chime in anytime I notice a discussion and can find som spare time)...
Marc aka Caran...

lodilefty

Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:45 pm

caranorn wrote:Sorry but some of these changes sound awful and don't seem to reflect the historic reality of the ACW.

Confederate Forces in the Trans Mississippi were actually artillery heavy (look at the number of Confederate guns at Pea Ridge). Few if any of those pieces were built in the area. Many were from prewar arsenals (federal as well as state) and forts (bronze 6 pounders often). The more modern pieces were either imported, or recently captured from the Union. In AACW it is almost impossible to capture as many guns as were done historically...

In the end the force pools more or less simulate the capacity of a state to raise artillery. This should in no way be tied to WSU...

I'm not sure what you mean by needing a city to raise units other than militia. If by city you mean something other than a native village I guess I could agree (though Pike and Cooper raised a rather respectable brigade in the Indian territories). But if this actually means requiring a city level above 1 or so I'd have a problem. Historically brigades were formd at the front, that is on arrival of enough new regiments at the Army HQ's a new brigade would be formed and generally command given to the most senior regimental commander. Of course this is impossible in AACW. But any kind of "civilised" settlement should be able to assemble a sufficient force, in the end it's just a waypoint for regiments raised in a general vicinity...

I really hope historicity can be maintained as the priority in these patches. Some of the info about this most recent beta patch actually makes me regret Gray's no longer here. At least I knew he had a firm grasp of the conflict and would not let things like these pass unchecked...

P.S.: I don't have time to do major AACW historic research right now (and might not have for a year or two). So if we have no researchers left of the original beta team I'd beg to just slow down changeing design elements of the game so other volunteers can get up to speed on these issues (I will chime in anytime I notice a discussion and can find som spare time)...

Of course we welcome your opinion :)

Of note: Gray made the changes to the DB requiring WSU etc. :blink:

City is a Level 4 or higher, I think... maybe it's level 2... :confused:

...and FYI, I've studied and read about the ACW since I was 1;)
[CENTER][/CENTER]

Citizen X
AGEod Veteran

Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:14 pm

squarian wrote:I don't understand this distinction. Historical as opposed to realistic would mean what exactly in this context?

Historical in this sense is that there were no canon workshops in Arkansas or southern Missouri.
Realistic means that there should still be the possibility to bring enough cannons to the front.

If we stick with historical there should only be canons buildable where they actually had canon worlshops during the ACW.

I never looked at it like there are actual buildingplaces represented in the game but rather mustering places, where brigades are trained and equipment is finally assembled.

lodilefty

Raise Rules

Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:50 pm

lodilefty wrote:Of course we welcome your opinion :)

Dug in a bit:

Cityscapes change with size: 1-4 are Towns, 5+ are City (matching the on-line Manual)

Note also, that a location with WSU shows a factory on Cityscape.

ARkansas has no city >2 (Little Rock = 2)
MisOuri has only St. Louis > 2

So CSA has a problem, as Industrialization won't increase city size.

Shoot. Nertz...

I suppose we could change the MO and AR units to raise in towns, but the Artillery would still be constrained (AR Horse Arty, MO Siege guns) to WSU, meaning Industrialize and/or capture St. Louis.

Another choice would be to revise the Raise Area from just AR and MO to allow these to be raised elsewhere in the West.

..or we could make LittleRock bigger.

Obviously, this change (made last year in 1.16RC4a, but perhaps bugged until RC5 game engine) needs some more thought and testing....
[CENTER][/CENTER]

lodilefty

Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:54 pm

Thread separated so I don't lose it!!!! :blink:
[CENTER][/CENTER]

caranorn

Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:17 pm

lodilefty wrote:Of course we welcome your opinion :)

As I can't dig through the official records, Sheas or my own research from several years ago right now I will just link to the order of battle for Confederate forces at Pea Ridge ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pea_Ridge_Confederate_order_of_battle ) and Wilson's Creek ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilson%27s_Creek_Confederate_order_of_battle ) to illustrate the presence of artillery from the non industrialised Trans Mississipi...

At Wilson's Creek there were 2 Arkansas and 2 Missouri batteries. I made no detail research on this battle (though I'd once planned to for a quad game covering early battles in the West (Wilson's Creek, Donelson, Pea Ridge and Shiloh)). So I can't comment on the actual strength and equipment of these batteries...

At Pea Ridge there were 3 Arkansas, 1 Texas (I'm pretty sure a battery is missing from the wikipedia oob as I recall one battery left behind on the riverline, yet all 4 of these present on the battlefield) and 11 Missouri batteries.

Much of this increase between Wilson's Creek and Pea Ridge is due to capturing Union guns, including modern pieces (the old batteries would receive the captured guns and the old not yet quite obsolete 6 pounders would be handled by new batteries).

Most of these batteries fielded 4 guns (often mixed calibres), a few less, maybe one or two more.

Very few if any of those guns were manufactured in the Trans Mississipi.

Another useful link to look at is http://web.archive.org/web/20080710202730/http://www.tarleton.edu/~kjones/confeds.html . I don't have the time to check all the relevant links found on that site (probably many dead links, at least that was the case the last time I went through this a while back), but I expect you will find quite a large number of non identical batteries from Missouri, Arkansas and Texas there which could not even partially have been equipped with locally produced guns...

Concerning brigade formations. When reading through the OR and other period documents you will rapidly come to the conclusion that these were mostly formed ad-hoc as I previously described. Forcing these units to appear in large cities (level 4 is indeed roughly what I'd feared) is unrealistic (even though obviously having them appear out of state is not an option for AACW(-I) either)...
Marc aka Caran...

caranorn

Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:24 pm

lodilefty wrote:Dug in a bit:

Cityscapes change with size: 1-4 are Towns, 5+ are City (matching the on-line Manual)

Note also, that a location with WSU shows a factory on Cityscape.

ARkansas has no city >2 (Little Rock = 2)
MisOuri has only St. Louis > 2

So CSA has a problem, as Industrialization won't increase city size.

Shoot. Nertz...

I suppose we could change the MO and AR units to raise in towns, but the Artillery would still be constrained (AR Horse Arty, MO Siege guns) to WSU, meaning Industrialize and/or capture St. Louis.

Another choice would be to revise the Raise Area from just AR and MO to allow these to be raised elsewhere in the West.

..or we could make LittleRock bigger.

Obviously, this change (made last year in 1.16RC4a, but perhaps bugged until RC5 game engine) needs some more thought and testing....

It must have been bugged as I played a few games under that beta and I never noticed any difference to raising troops in the T-M compared to previously. I don't remember these changes mentionned either (including the changes to railroad destruction)...

Do we still have an AACW beta team? Maybe someone knows why Gray made these changes (and why he didn't tell us in the public forum)...

I've only been following the forums intermitantly as I didn't have much time to play and there was no major project undergoing to which I could have seriously contributed. So I could have missed relevant posts, but I certainly always read the documentation coming with patches I download. But railroad destruction changes, WS for artillery, level-5 for non militia are all news to me...
Marc aka Caran...

Eugene Carr
Colonel

Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:46 pm

Looking at the last DB issued the requirement was there then , none of us seem to have noticed :blink:

Maybe the idea was to concentrate units in a few locations?

To get Art in Ark/Mo drop the requirement to harbor? that would restrict them to a few logical places but some options would be available. Drop the wsu requirement altogether but increase the wsu cost?

ps: just checked my base game dated 11/4/2007 guess what? :bonk:

[SIZE="5"][font="Comic Sans MS"]S! EC[/font][/size]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

charlesonmission

Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:32 am

Caranorn, this is a really good post.

Basically the CSA did have artillery in the trans-Mississippi, most of which was from federal arsenals or captured from the Union. Since the federal arsenals aren't really represented at the beginning of the game (I posted a link about an Arkansas battery yesterday) and capturing artillery is much more difficult in the game than in the actual war. I think the CSA needs to be allowed to build artillery in Arkansas considering the above two points. In some ways we have to work around the game as needed.

Thoughts?

Charles

caranorn wrote:As I can't dig through the official records, Sheas or my own research from several years ago right now I will just link to the order of battle for Confederate forces at Pea Ridge ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pea_Ridge_Confederate_order_of_battle ) and Wilson's Creek ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilson%27s_Creek_Confederate_order_of_battle ) to illustrate the presence of artillery from the non industrialised Trans Mississipi...

At Wilson's Creek there were 2 Arkansas and 2 Missouri batteries. I made no detail research on this battle (though I'd once planned to for a quad game covering early battles in the West (Wilson's Creek, Donelson, Pea Ridge and Shiloh)). So I can't comment on the actual strength and equipment of these batteries...

At Pea Ridge there were 3 Arkansas, 1 Texas (I'm pretty sure a battery is missing from the wikipedia oob as I recall one battery left behind on the riverline, yet all 4 of these present on the battlefield) and 11 Missouri batteries.

Much of this increase between Wilson's Creek and Pea Ridge is due to capturing Union guns, including modern pieces (the old batteries would receive the captured guns and the old not yet quite obsolete 6 pounders would be handled by new batteries).

Most of these batteries fielded 4 guns (often mixed calibres), a few less, maybe one or two more.

Very few if any of those guns were manufactured in the Trans Mississipi.

Another useful link to look at is http://web.archive.org/web/20080710202730/http://www.tarleton.edu/~kjones/confeds.html . I don't have the time to check all the relevant links found on that site (probably many dead links, at least that was the case the last time I went through this a while back), but I expect you will find quite a large number of non identical batteries from Missouri, Arkansas and Texas there which could not even partially have been equipped with locally produced guns...

Concerning brigade formations. When reading through the OR and other period documents you will rapidly come to the conclusion that these were mostly formed ad-hoc as I previously described. Forcing these units to appear in large cities (level 4 is indeed roughly what I'd feared) is unrealistic (even though obviously having them appear out of state is not an option for AACW(-I) either)...

lodilefty

The Explanation

Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:25 pm

Here's the word from the Master:

When buying a unit, or when the annual "AutoRaise" musters Militia, the location and requirements are:

• $recWSU: Only raise in a region that is producing War Supply.
    • This is WAD, KS, TX, MS, MO, AR require Industrialization to build artillery
  • $recTown and $recCity use different probability on which city the unit gets built in Area (recCity squares the size of city)
  • $recHarbor and $recHarborWSU add to these the requirment of a port
    • $recHarborWSU: Coastal and Fort Batteries, Ironclads, Monitors, Steam Frigates, Armored Frigates
  • $RecCap will only allow build in your Capital
    • Army HQ Units
  • $RecObj will only allow build in a controlled Objective
    • Signal, Medical, Engineer, Naval Engineer, Baloons
  • For all cases you need >=50% MC to build (and MC increases slowly with only small units in a newly captured region)
  • For all cases you need >=25% loyalty to build in a region
Example: if you are raising a unit in Missouri, you'll need at least 1 city with >50% MC and >25% Loyalty for the unit to appear. Additionally, you'll need a region with these values that produces WSU to buuild Artillery.

I did some testing of these rules, and it appears to be WAD.
[CENTER][/CENTER]

squarian
Brigadier General

Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:04 pm

lodilefty wrote:[*]$recHarbor and $recHarborWSU add to these the requirment of a port
  • $recHarborWSU: Coastal and Fort Batteries, Ironclads, Monitors, Steam Frigates, Armored Frigates

But in the example which starts this thread, I attempted to build Coast Arty in GA, which starts the game with two towns, Columbus and Augusta, which are Lvl 1 harbors and produce WSU (+1).

So is a "port" for this purpose a harbor some level higher than one? Do you know what that level is?

lodilefty

Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:21 pm

squarian wrote:But in the example which starts this thread, I attempted to build Coast Arty in GA, which starts the game with two towns, Columbus and Augusta, which are Lvl 1 harbors and produce WSU (+1).

So is a "port" for this purpose a harbor some level higher than one? Do you know what that level is?

Wierd. I'll have to ask the Master yet again...
[CENTER][/CENTER]

lodilefty

Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:23 pm

For your reference, a quick review of the CityScapes and what they can tell you:

http://www.ageod.net/aacwwiki/City#Examples_of_how_structures_are_represented_on_the_map
[CENTER][/CENTER]

Coldsteel
Sergeant

Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:41 pm

lodilefty wrote:Here's the word from the Master:

When buying a unit, or when the annual "AutoRaise" musters Militia, the location and requirements are:

• $recTown and $recCity use different probability on which city the unit gets built in Area (recCity squares the size of city)
    • Army HQ Units
  • For all cases you need >=50% MC to build (and MC increases slowly with only small units in a newly captured region)
Example: if you are raising a unit in Missouri, you'll need at least 1 city with >50% MC and >25% Loyalty for the unit to appear. Additionally, you'll need a region with these values that produces WSU to buuild Artillery.

Thanks Lodi!
I do believe this answers my original question on why I am not producing anything in the Great State of Missouri at the moment.
What's "MC" short for?

lodilefty

Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:47 pm

squarian wrote:But in the example which starts this thread, I attempted to build Coast Arty in GA, which starts the game with two towns, Columbus and Augusta, which are Lvl 1 harbors and produce WSU (+1).

I use "port" interchangeably with "harbor" :blink:

I just tested this, turn 1 of July 1861. Coastal Arty arrived WAD in Macon, which also has port/WSU.

Something else musta interrupted your production.... :confused:
[CENTER][/CENTER]

lodilefty

Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:03 pm

Coldsteel wrote:Thanks Lodi!
I do believe this answers my original question on why I am not producing anything in the Great State of Missouri at the moment.
What's "MC" short for?

Military Control.
[CENTER][/CENTER]

caranorn

Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:10 pm

lodilefty wrote:Here's the word from the Master:

• Army HQ Units

This sounds good (particularly with the addition you mentionned with the new patch that WSU applied to artillery only when you buy separate batteries, so not for brigades that include artillery in their ToE). I particularly like the mention of >=25% loyalty and >=50% MC, not sure this was in previous patches, but certainly sounds good, particularly for Missouri...
Marc aka Caran...

Gray-Lensman
Civilian

Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:55 pm

caranorn wrote:
Do we still have an AACW beta team? Maybe someone knows why Gray made these changes (and why he didn't tell us in the public forum)...

All changes/bug fixes made were logged into the ACW Updates.rtf file for everyone's reference. This file is kept updated and located in the main AACW game folder... i.e.the same one where the game engine AACW.exe is located. Though convoluted, you might read thru it or at least use WordPad's Search/Find function to seek out "WSU". hint... hint...

For clarification:

The only changes made to the DB in regards to WSU was to the cost of building Militia infantry units so as to inhibit the Spamming of those Militia units specifically. Nothing was done with Artillery unit WSU costs. Militia unit upgrade events allowed the automatic conversion of militia units to conscript infantry without incurring any WSU cost, yet the DIRECT building of those same conscript infantry DID cost 1 WSU unit. If it had been possible to charge a 1 WSU charge at the time of the militia upgrade event, the DB change would not have been made at all. There were no other WSU changes made to any towns/cities etc. (at least not by me)

All other issues regarding WSU problems are most likely game engine executable issues in the recent new patches.

Captain_Orso

Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:21 pm

This is kicking my butt in MO :blink: (1.16rc6 - playing Union)

Several turns in succession I've tried to build artillery in Missouri. Every time I ordered them, they just didn't get built. After re-reviewing this thread I now see why. Although I'm building 7WS in MO I only have 7% loyalty in St Louis. The most loyal cities/towns in my control are Ft Leavenworth and St Joseph with 75 and 61% respectively, but they are only level 1 towns.

Building infantry is also a PITA. I've only managed to build 1 Sharpshooter regiment and finally after many tries a brigade with 2 inf and 1 cav regiments. Both of theses were built in St Joseph. But building supply a train worked on the first try.

I'm not really sure how to evaluate this rule on a reality level. On the one hand I feel that if WS is lacking in one state that it should be able to be transported to it from other states for them to build. Even if a state like Arkansas didn't have foundries to actually forge cannons, they could buy them from other states or from over seas; although I've read that the CSA importing weapons through blockade runners didn't work as well as Jeff Davis wished because the blockade runners rather than importing weapons preferred to import luxuries that they could sell for exorbitant prices. Basically if a state can raise the troops to create a unit and has the money to buy the implements of war, why should they not buy those implements from outside the state if they cannot be had from within?

At any rate, this change sure puts a twist on things.

On a side note, the good citizens of Charleston, across the Mississippi from Cairo, occupied by the CSA are still 41% loyal in late March '62. I think I have to send them a couple of wagon loads of turkeys for Thanksgiving :thumbsup:

squarian
Brigadier General

Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:55 pm

I'm OK with the rule itself, but it would be nice to have some warning - either some kind of flag when the unit is selected indicating the conditions are lacking, or an event message post-hoc confirming the build was aborted. It would save me searching the map in disbelief ("but surely those guns are here somewhere!").

Captain_Orso

Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:07 pm

Actually the game has never done that. Units not getting built because of a lack of necessary means has always been present in the game, not that I'm trying to defend the lack of a message that planed units have been dropped. It's the same if you create a number of division in one turn or have other expenses that don't show up on your financial roster (I can't remember at the moment what those were, but I remember that there are such things), and plan close to the limit of WS/$ only to find that you've built beyond your means and units didn't get built.

But if you cannot conceivably build a unit because of regional restrictions, it makes for a lot of micro-management and guess-work. I'm still not sure what factors decide if a non-artillery unit is built or not. And in thinking about it, if I'm restricted to building only as many units as could be built in a region through the locally available supplies and conscripts being recruited, it basically makes drafting and collecting taxes or selling bonds absurd, because theses are not associated to any region AFAIK.

There's also the question of whether WS and conscripts are accumulated over time. If so, then there should be a display of how much has been accumulated so that one could calculate what units could be built. But this also means that the reinforcements roster display is a fallacy because it only shows the sum-total of expenses for the entire faction on not the region.

Signed,

Confused in St Louis :confused:

Citizen X
AGEod Veteran

Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:30 pm

When you order stuff, right in the next turn you get notification what gets started to being build and where.

Palpat
Colonel

Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:02 pm

squarian wrote:I'm OK with the rule itself, but it would be nice to have some warning - either some kind of flag when the unit is selected indicating the conditions are lacking, or an event message post-hoc confirming the build was aborted. It would save me searching the map in disbelief ("but surely those guns are here somewhere!").

Would be great indeed, and ease the micromanagement.

Return to “Help to improve AACW!”