W.Barksdale
AGEod Grognard

No CSA recruitment in KY

Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:05 pm

Despite having control of a strategic city (Bowling Green) the CSA faction cannot order reinforcements from KY. Vanilla 1.15 april scenario. Is there something I am missing here?
Attachments
kev vs greg.rar
(290.67 KiB) Downloaded 173 times
"Tell General Lee that if he wants a bridge of dead Yankees I can furnish him with one."
-General William Barksdale at Fredericksburg

Citizen X
AGEod Veteran

Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:23 pm

Bowling Green is no strategic city.
Manual: "These are shown on the map with a star by the city name."

W.Barksdale
AGEod Grognard

Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:29 pm

Well the manual is junk then. Cities with a star beside the name are objective cities.
"Tell General Lee that if he wants a bridge of dead Yankees I can furnish him with one."

lodilefty

Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:29 pm

:confused: :confused: :confused:

I'm running 1.16 RC4a QF2

I placed an order for 2 KY Militia units,

1 appears in Bowling Green, 1 in Columbus.....

So, assuming that RC4a QF2 didn't change recruitment (AFAIK it doesn't) what is the issue? :confused:
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

W.Barksdale
AGEod Grognard

Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:34 pm

The issue was it doesn't work in 1.15 official patch (my install anyway) as stated in the OP . If its fixed in 1.16 beta then there is no issue once it becomes official. Thanks for looking. :)

lodilefty

Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:41 pm

W.Barksdale wrote:The issue was it doesn't work in 1.15 official patch (my install anyway) as stated in the OP . If its fixed in 1.16 beta then there is no issue once it becomes official. Thanks for looking. :)

Swami looked in cystal ball and fixed a bug before it was reported! :w00t:

Way ta go, Master!!!!! :thumbsup:
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]

[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

W.Barksdale
AGEod Grognard

Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:09 pm

Perhaps I should not have posted so quickly, in 1.15 you can get militia but not these: regular brigades, artillery, cavalry, river units. AFAIK if you control a strategic city you should be able to recruit all of these. I will check again once 1862 rolls around. Perhaps the KY forcepool for these units are not brought online until then.

W.Barksdale
AGEod Grognard

Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:17 pm

Citizen X wrote:Bowling Green is no strategic city.
Manual: "These are shown on the map with a star by the city name."

Could you fix this in the online manual? I can't find it.

lodilefty

Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:37 pm

W.Barksdale wrote:Could you fix this in the online manual? I can't find it.

I'm not sure what the rule is..... :confused:

• Do you really need an Objective (stars on map) owned to recruit? (My guess = no)
  • Do you really need a strategic city in a state to recruit? (my guess = yes)
  • Can you recruit if you "just" own any city in the state? (do all states have at least one strategic city????)

We need The Master to answer..... :D
[CENTER][/CENTER]

W.Barksdale
AGEod Grognard

Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:12 pm

I was just looking for the part, per Citizen X, that strategic cities have a star beside their name, which is incorrect. Only objective cities have a start beside their name. Actually capitals have their own unique symbol. A strategic city will say "strategic town" in the tooltip when you hover your mouse over the city.

AFAIK, the only requirement for recruiting in a state is the possession of a strategic city (and free force pool units). So any state that you can build recruits should have an objective city. Master?

Ethan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:15 pm

Hi guys,

You know I usually play with 1.15 installation... Well, I've tried the W.Barksdale's file and indeed the only reinforcements that you can order from KY are militia units. All other units can not be ordered. Anyway, I ordered to build 4 of these units and it worked successfully.

By the way, W.Barksdale is right, Bowling Green is a strategic town. In fact, you can see it in the tooltip, placing the mouse pointer over the region.

Cities that have the symbol of a star are objetives cities.
[color="Navy"][font="Georgia"]"Mi grandeza no reside en no haber caído nunca, sino en haberme levantado siempre". Napoleón Bonaparte.[/font][/color]

[color="Blue"]Same Land. Different Dreams. - Photobook[/color]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Citizen X
AGEod Veteran

Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:35 pm

My bad indeed. I mixed the two up.
And when I quickliy looked it up it said on
http://www.ageod.net/aacwwiki/Manual:The_map#States :
"In addition, you can only draft units in a state if you control at least one of the state’s strategic cities. These are shown on the map with a star by the city name."
Same as in my pdf version of the manual.

Jim-NC

Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:42 pm

I can confirm that in my 1.15 installation, as the CSA you don't have to have any cities to have in your force pool KY units. I loaded an old game (Aug 1864), where the union controls all KY cities, and the CSA side shows the units (the 2inf 1 cav, the 2 inf 1 art, and the 4 inf 1 art 1 cav) that can be built. I will note that the CSA can build 23 militia (vs. 4 in Barksdale's game). There are also artillery and calvary.

Furthermore, in another game, I control only Prestonburg and Paducah (neither strategic cities). I can have have been able to build KY units in Prestonburg (it was the only city I controlled for a while). This game is in July 1865.

So once the unit appear in your force pool, they stay there, and as long as you control at least 1 city, you can build units in the state.

Barksdale,

Did you invade Kentucky?
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

W.Barksdale
AGEod Grognard

Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:49 pm

Jim-NC wrote:I can confirm that in my 1.15 installation, as the CSA you don't have to have any cities to have in your force pool KY units. I loaded an old game (Aug 1864), where the union controls all KY cities, and the CSA side shows the units (the 2inf 1 cav, the 2 inf 1 art, and the 4 inf 1 art 1 cav) that can be built. I will note that the CSA can build 23 militia (vs. 4 in Barksdale's game). There are also artillery and calvary.

This is a different bug.... If CSA controls no cities at all how can it be possible to recruit in the state? The 23 militia vs 4 in the force pool is normal as because new unit slots are added as the game progresses. This seems to be a problem in 1.15 for MO and KY. I haven't tested any other states.

Jim-NC wrote:
Furthermore, in another game, I control only Prestonburg and Paducah (neither strategic cities). I can have have been able to build KY units in Prestonburg (it was the only city I controlled for a while). This game is in July 1865.

So once the unit appear in your force pool, they stay there, and as long as you control at least 1 city, you can build units in the state.

This is a separate bug from the one above. Only possession of a strategic city (and free unit slots) allows recruitment in a state.

Jim-NC wrote:
Barksdale,

Did you invade Kentucky?

No the Federals invaded.

Jim-NC

Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:56 pm

I can't remember if it's a bug or a rule change from one of the earlier patches (about the building without controlling a city or strategic city).

I can say that the 4 militia are constant. Loading the game, I built 4 militia, then let many turns elapse, Once 1 militia unit upgraded to conscript, the militia popper up again to be rebuilt.

In early March 1862, regular units appeared in the game. I see 3 of each type of regular brigade, 3 more militia (on top of the 4 already built), 3 cav, and 3 artillery.

So it appears to be a timing issue.

Update: I selected all units to be built, and ran the turn. In Late March 1862, all 18 units I asked to build were built (in Bowling Green, or Columbus). By early April, the units are building out (seems normal, the inf/cav units are finished, the lone cav units are finished, and the artillery is still building).

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

W.Barksdale
AGEod Grognard

Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:02 pm

Jim-NC wrote:I can't remember if it's a bug or a rule change from one of the earlier patches (about the building without controlling a city or strategic city).

You always used to have to control a strategic city. I guess one of the dev's will have to come in here to see if there has been a change. The manual still says it, however....

Jim-NC wrote:
I can say that the 4 militia are constant. Loading the game, I built 4 militia, then let many turns elapse, Once 1 militia unit upgraded to conscript, the militia popper up again to be rebuilt.

In early March 1862, regular units appeared in the game. I see 3 of each type of regular brigade, 3 more militia (on top of the 4 already built), 3 cav, and 3 artillery.

The force pool changes as time goes on. I'm guessing that regular brigades do not appear in the force pool until later than my turn. Perhaps it is March 1862. I seem to remember being able to recruit in KY much earlier though.

Still, it seems that I have stumbled upon different bugs anyway!

Ethan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:05 pm

Jim, I think that no matter if he has invaded KY. If I'm not wrong, both sides can recruit troops from KY... Although the invaders receive less troops.
[color="Navy"][font="Georgia"]"Mi grandeza no reside en no haber caído nunca, sino en haberme levantado siempre". Napoleón Bonaparte.[/font][/color]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jim-NC

Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:12 pm

The number of units you can build is effected by who invades.

For example, if the CSA had invaded, it was possible that he had already built all the troops he could (once you can no longer build that unit type, it disappears from the recruitment ledger screen - it will appear again after you can build more).

I was testing to see if that was the problem (it wasn't).

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

W.Barksdale
AGEod Grognard

Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:48 am

Okay so this thread turned a little messy so here is a brief summary for those who are interested but don't want to sift through it:

Jim-NC wrote:

Astated above, CSA cannot build infantry, artillery, cavalry, or river units in KY until early March, 1862 when the KY force pool adds new units. A few militia, however, can be built. This is true for when USA invades KY but with no KY sesession. This may or may not be dependent on whether or not USA or CSA invades.

Jim-NC wrote:I loaded an old game (Aug 1864), where the union controls all KY cities, and the CSA side shows the units (the 2inf 1 cav, the 2 inf 1 art, and the 4 inf 1 art 1 cav) that can be built. I will note that the CSA can build 23 militia. There are also artillery and calvary.

There seems to be a bug wherein force pool slots are still available to be built even though CSA has control of no cities in a given state. I believe this to be an issue for KY and MO. I will continue to test this and set something up for you lodi.

Jim-NC wrote:Furthermore, in another game, I control only Prestonburg and Paducah (neither strategic cities). I can have have been able to build KY units in Prestonburg (it was the only city I controlled for a while). This game is in July 1865.

This may or may not be related to the bug above. Here a bug wherein no possession of a strategic city still allows you to access the force pool in a state and build the units. I think it is limited to KY. Although, I find it hard to believe that Paducah is not a strategic city. Perhaps it is just a problem with the popups? Again I will look at this more closely and set this up in the future as time permits.

Citizen X wrote:My bad indeed. I mixed the two up.
And when I quickliy looked it up it said on
http://www.ageod.net/aacwwiki/Manual:The_map#States :
"In addition, you can only draft units in a state if you control at least one of the state’s strategic cities. These are shown on the map with a star by the city name."
Same as in my pdf version of the manual.

Okay I see it. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if it's possible to edit the official PDF. How does this sound for the online manual:

In addition, you can only draft units in a state if you control at least one of the state’s strategic cities. A strategic town can be identified in the popup tooltip by hovering your mouse over a given city. Objective cities are a special type of strategic city These are shown on the map with a star by the city name.

Thanks to everyone.

Ethan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:05 pm

I think that's a great idea, W.Barksdale. It's pretty clarifier and will be very helpful to newcomers... and to everyone. :thumbsup:

I support your suggestion! ;)

Anyway, I'd like to add that you can also recognize the strategic towns on the map because its name is inside of a darker color rectangle, blue or grey (Union or Confederate, respectively).

Here I show you 2 pictures:

Greetings! :wavey:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

lodilefty

Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:32 pm

:( Admitting that I haven't had time yet to look: :bonk:

Remember that the definition of Strategic Cities and Objectives can be different in each scenario! So, take care comparing.... :blink:
[CENTER][/CENTER]

lodilefty

Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:31 pm

W.Barksdale wrote:<snip>

Okay I see it. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if it's possible to edit the official PDF. How does this sound for the online manual:

In addition, you can only draft units in a state if you control at least one of the state’s strategic cities. A strategic town can be identified in the popup tooltip by hovering your mouse over a given city. Objective cities are a special type of strategic city These are shown on the map with a star by the city name.

Thanks to everyone.

Looks good! It will be great to see someone improving the AACW Wiki, particularly the game Manual. :thumbsup:

Always check at the AGEWiki too, as that is much more up to date for modding, and has a lot of "how it works" articles.... :)
[CENTER][/CENTER]

Ethan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:22 pm

lodilefty wrote: :( Admitting that I haven't had time yet to look: :bonk:

Remember that the definition of Strategic Cities and Objectives can be different in each scenario! So, take care comparing.... :blink:

Indeed, Strategic Cities and Objectives can be different in each scenario. But what I really meant is that Strategic Cities are displayed (well, the name of the city is displayed) inside of a darker color rectangle, blue or grey as I said. ;)

In any case, thanks a lot for the remark Lodi! :thumbsup:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

W.Barksdale
AGEod Grognard

Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:12 pm

Thanks Ethan! I didn't notice the darker colour for strategic cities. This really distinguishes them!

Ethan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:32 pm

You're welcome, W.Barksdale! :)

Regards.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “Help to improve AACW!”