Ace

Merging units in destination regions

Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:55 pm

I have had multiple occasions in my ongoing PBEM when units failed to merge with the stationary unit in the destination region.
What could be the reason, stacks are not "right click anti-merge" locked.

It could be a major issue, if one is trying to merge with an entrenched unit defending a region. This has never happened to me when I was the host, or when playing against the AI.

In it, I have orderd Lee and Van Dorn to merge to separate stacks outside Bowling Green. While, Lee obeyed the orders, Van Dorn and few other units failed to merge.

Anyway, I am posting pre turn orders and post turn resolution images. My PBEM host will be posting complete save game files.

Thanks in advance :)

Mickey3D

Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:11 am

Saved game files are attached.

We are using version 1.16 rc4a
Attachments
Backup.zip
(1004.7 KiB) Downloaded 232 times

Gray_Lensman

Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:19 am

deleted

Ace

Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:42 am

I was not aiming to merge Van Dorn with Lee, but to merge Van Dorn with lone unit in Bowlnig Green region (outside town) and Lee with other lone unit in the same region.

The result should have been, Lee´s army, Van Dorn´s and Johnson´s corps in different stacks in Bowlnig Green area.

That was not what happened.

Gray_Lensman

Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:45 pm

deleted

Ace

Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:51 am

I thought it is important to say it comes up only in small percent of cases, maybe once every turn or two (as you can see Lee´s army merged with his target unit in destination region without problems while Van Dorn´s corps didn´t merge with other target unit).

Also, I do not know whether following could be the reason. This save game was started in 1.15. and upgraded to 1.16rc4a few turns ago.

Stauffenberg
General

Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:13 pm

Did you get a clarification on this? I've noticed this issue too and would like to know if there is way to be really sure these merges will occur as intended.

Mickey3D

Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:32 pm

Unfortunately no clarification until now.

Stauffenberg
General

Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:08 am

Too bad, this is an important issue in the game.
Any insights from the vets welcome please.

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:31 am

Sometimes units fail to merge because either the target or the moving unit was modified in some way following the plotting of the path. For example, changing the battle stance (from B/O to B/B for example) will sometimes undo the move altogether, as will changing the mode of travel (adding or taking away either rail or riverine movement). Changes in force composition may also change the pathing, as might changes in force location (from in the city to out of the city). The last one I can think of is if the target itself moved, or was targeted to another unit that moved, causing the target to move.

I don't think this is a complete list, nor is it necessarily all that accurate, but IIRC I've seen misplots occur from all these actions, plus more that I don't have an explanation for. One of the most annoying is when you target a unit by mistake, when you meant to target the region. But this is player error, not some game anomaly.

Stauffenberg
General

Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:26 pm

Well that is interesting. Once again this game is so nuanced, even grognards are not completely sure of all the permutations. ;)
Makes perfect sense thanks.

Return to “Help to improve AACW!”