Blind Sniper
Sergeant

Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:23 pm

Thank you very much gchristie, that's a pity indeed!

Anyhow, just to understand, is this game no more supported by AGEod?

Rafiki

Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:30 pm

Blind Sniper wrote:Anyhow, just to understand, is this game no more supported by AGEod?

Is is, but the nature of that support is probably changing now.
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

richfed

Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:46 pm

I do hope that Pocus & Co. do wrap up this beta into an official release. There still are some issues that need a-fixin'.
[color="DarkRed"][SIZE="2"][font="Book Antiqua"]"We've caught them napping!"[/font][/size][/color]

Blind Sniper
Sergeant

Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:07 pm

Code: Select all

Is is, but the nature of that support is probably changing now.

Ok, thanks for your answer Rafiki.
Anyhow I don't understand why he has spent time deleting his posts...

Ethan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:38 pm

Pocus wrote:By the way the 'fight better' components have been entirely removed from the AI advantages list.

Ethan wrote:Hi Philippe! :)

Do you mean in the 1.16rc4a patch? In the previous patches... does it work yet, right?

Thanks in advance. ;)

Greetings!

I'm sorry, but I think my post was not read by Philippe. Would someone be so kind to answer me, please? ;)

Thank you! :thumbsup:
[color="Navy"][font="Georgia"]"Mi grandeza no reside en no haber caído nunca, sino en haberme levantado siempre". Napoleón Bonaparte.[/font][/color]

[color="Blue"]Same Land. Different Dreams. - Photobook[/color]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Pocus

Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:25 pm

This has been removed from games that have the new tooltips on AI levels (the ones describing AI levels with officers ranks).

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Jim-NC

Supply issue/question

Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:25 pm

I have a technical question/issue/bug. As the CSA, my union opponent has captured Ft. Pike LA. I was attempting to starve him out using shipping in Koney Island, but he never seemed to lose much supply. Then I noticed that the fort has harbor entrances to both Lake Pontchartain and Koney Island. I can't get my ships into the lake to blockade him.

My question/issue/bug, is can he get supply from his naval pool via the Lake? The only entrances to the lake are Springfield (otherwise land locked), and Ft. Pike. I still control Springfield. If supply is flowing to the fort from the lake with Koney Island naval region blockaded, I believe that it is a bug. However, I am not sure about the supply flow.
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ethan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:30 pm

Pocus wrote:This has been removed from games that have the new tooltips on AI levels (the ones describing AI levels with officers ranks).

OK, thank you very much for your reply, Philippe! :)

A très bientôt! ;)
[color="Navy"][font="Georgia"]"Mi grandeza no reside en no haber caído nunca, sino en haberme levantado siempre". Napoleón Bonaparte.[/font][/color]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TheDoctorKing

Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:45 am

Jim-NC wrote:I have a technical question/issue/bug. As the CSA, my union opponent has captured Ft. Pike LA. I was attempting to starve him out using shipping in Koney Island, but he never seemed to lose much supply. Then I noticed that the fort has harbor entrances to both Lake Pontchartain and Koney Island. I can't get my ships into the lake to blockade him.

My question/issue/bug, is can he get supply from his naval pool via the Lake? The only entrances to the lake are Springfield (otherwise land locked), and Ft. Pike. I still control Springfield. If supply is flowing to the fort from the lake with Koney Island naval region blockaded, I believe that it is a bug. However, I am not sure about the supply flow.

The answer to your question is yes, unfortunately. Console yourself that the same thing applies to you - if you have Richmond, he can't blockade it by controlling Fort Monroe and Norfolk, he has to put a whole bunch of ships in the James River since that is where the port has its access. A wierdness of the game that doesn't appear to have an easy fix. For the USA, blockades using the blockade box are much more effective than close blockades because of this oddity.
Stewart King

"There is no substitute for victory"

Depends on how you define victory.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

charlesonmission

Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:24 am

Jim, it's a very good question. I wonder if the lake provides river supply and not naval supply, I suppose that is the essential question. If it is river supply, then you could starve him out since he doesn't control other part of LA connected to the river system.

Charles

Jim-NC wrote:I have a technical question/issue/bug. As the CSA, my union opponent has captured Ft. Pike LA. I was attempting to starve him out using shipping in Koney Island, but he never seemed to lose much supply. Then I noticed that the fort has harbor entrances to both Lake Pontchartain and Koney Island. I can't get my ships into the lake to blockade him.

Pocus

Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:26 pm

This is an issue indeed, but because we have a weird case here, an harbor which is both with an exit on a lake, and an exit to the sea... so you can't blockade it just by having ships in the sea. As it is not blockaded, the code will allow naval resupply to operate.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Jim-NC

Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:33 pm

Pocus wrote:This is an issue indeed, but because we have a weird case here, an harbor which is both with an exit on a lake, and an exit to the sea... so you can't blockade it just by having ships in the sea. As it is not blockaded, the code will allow naval resupply to operate.

I was afraid of this. The answer then is that I can't starve his units out. (I guessed this, as his suppy never seemed to go down). I will have to crush the invasion some other way.

Maybe this will be changed for AACW II.
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:05 pm

Hmm, odd indeed. I have attempted, at times, as the Union, to put an ironclad or river gunboat on Lake P. and it seems that you can't even float a pietin there.

Which, of course, I would think, implies that waterborne Supply should not be able to work on the watery region (if it is a Region, properly speaking).

Not the intent of design, I would warrant.
[color="#AFEEEE"]"Liberty and Union, now and forever, one and inseparable!"[/color]
-Daniel Webster

[color="#FFA07A"]"C'mon, boys, we got the damn Yankees on the run!"[/color]
-General Joseph Wheeler, US Army, serving at Santiago in 1898

RULES
(A) When in doubt, agree with Ace.
(B) Pull my reins up sharply when needed, for I am a spirited thoroughbred and forget to turn at the post sometimes.

charlesonmission

Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:28 am

Based on a previous PBEM game, you can float boats in there only if you control the fort.

Charles

GraniteStater wrote:Hmm, odd indeed. I have attempted, at times, as the Union, to put an ironclad or river gunboat on Lake P. and it seems that you can't even float a pietin there.

Which, of course, I would think, implies that waterborne Supply should not be able to work on the watery region (if it is a Region, properly speaking).

Not the intent of design, I would warrant.

richfed

Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:50 pm

Will this beta version ever be wrapped up into an official version? It's good as is, but not complete. There are issues still - one of which is a fairly important intervention bug that I experienced and described above.

I do realize the issues Ageod has, but we loyal customers deserve a finished product. It has been awhile.

That's my grumpy comment for the day ... :)
[color="DarkRed"][SIZE="2"][font="Book Antiqua"]"We've caught them napping!"[/font][/size][/color]

Ol' Choctaw

Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:54 am

I seem to see some issues with 1.16rc4a that it should not have.

In addition to no ammo consumption the whole Atlantic Ocean is frozen in early Dec. 1861. It is not the areas near the shore, it is the off shore areas.

I have never see it in earlier patches. How did it work its way into this one?

Has anyone else had trouble with the Ocean freezing over?

Ethan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:18 am

Ol' Choctaw, I guess that you will have to post your saved game to check it. :)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Palpat
Colonel

Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:31 pm

Should we expect a fixed 1.16 release anytime? :love:

Ethan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:34 pm

That's the million dollar question! :D

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Palpat
Colonel

Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:15 am

Isn't it?
The ammo consumption bug and the "let's raid with the 'ole Beauregard Army up to Buffalo" thing are game killers for me. :bonk:

Franciscus

Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:22 am

Palpat wrote:Should we expect a fixed 1.16 release anytime? :love:

With Gray having left the boat and Pocus up to his nuts in PON :D , I would not hold my breath... ;)

charlesonmission

Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:26 am

I thought Lodefity had taken over 1.16, not Pocus......

Charles

lodilefty

Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:28 pm

charlesonmission wrote:I thought Lodefity had taken over 1.16, not Pocus......

Charles

I coordinate all patches. Coordinators "feed" changes to me.
It will take some time to get caught up on all games so I can also do the changes.

Stay tuned, be patient. :)
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

Nikel

Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:45 pm

Just IMHO AGEod should release gold patches for the old games and focus on new games :)

But recruit a few beta testers first ;)

lodilefty

Next patch

Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:02 pm

We are starting to work on next patch.

For now, I only have the changes in this (1.16 RC4) to include with a new ACW.exe that fixes Ammo, etc.

Any other changes you may have will need to be proposed and checked. They MUST be presented to me with the associated DB files (xls spreadsheets).
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]

[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

berto
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:20 pm

If you would, please confer with me before releasing any future AACW patches, official ones especially. ;)
What this town needs is a good Renaissance band!
Early MusiChicago - Early Music in Chicago and Beyond - http://earlymusichicago.org
PIKT - Global-View, Site-at-a-Time System and Network Administration - http://pikt.org
AGElint - an AGE debugging toolkit - http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2978333
Your Mileage May Vary -- Always!

Ethan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:17 pm

lodilefty wrote:We are starting to work on next patch.

For now, I only have the changes in this (1.16 RC4) to include with a new ACW.exe that fixes Ammo, etc.

Any other changes you may have will need to be proposed and checked. They MUST be presented to me with the associated DB files (xls spreadsheets).

I'm glad to hear this... BRAVO!! :coeurs: :thumbsup:

Thank you, lodilefty and all the Ageod team. ;)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Pdubya64
Captain

Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:46 pm

Nice to see you back lodilefty... I drop by once or twice a month to see how things are going. Your dedication is much appreciated!

pw
"Yonder stands Jackson like a stone wall; let us go to his assistance." - CSA BrigGen Barnard Bee at First Manassas

richfed

Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:17 pm

Pdubya64 wrote:Nice to see you back lodilefty... I drop by once or twice a month to see how things are going. Your dedication is much appreciated!

pw

Ditto!

Great news on a forthcoming patch!

Ol' Choctaw

Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:23 pm

I have seen very little on what has changed in 1.16rc4c.

To go from beta to official it needs some testing and not just no feedback other than “When Will it be Official”.

Until my hard drive went south I had been playing with 1.15. I have yet to complete my first game in 1.16rc4c but I have seen quite a few changes.

The flashing depots was the first thing I noticed. It is a visual aid into your supply network.

Second was that names of units do not work the same as before. I still have a unit named “USMC” but that element has been out of that formation for almost two years. Adding leaders does not mean that the names change to the senior leader’s name. I added an admiral to the 3rd fleet and it changed the name to Fleet.

Most of us who have been on the board much lately know that the ammo is not used in combat. It remains at 100%. It can drop below that level but not due to combat.

Weather is also changed at some level. I have noticed it more over water than one land (with lots more frozen areas) but it has been tweaked. I had most of the Atlantic frozen at one point. There was no frozen icon but the weather said it was and the only way out of the shipping boxes was into the St. Lawrence.

I saw some discussion early on about the Union AI concentration in the Shenandoah. I am playing against the CSA AI and early on it threatened most through the Shenandoah also. But can I say it is offering up a much stronger challenge than I have seen in the past. It is making good use of supporting corps and dose its best to try to hit you where you are not looking. They also found it prudent to move their capital long before I could manage to threaten Richmond.

Even so, it dose not seem to be bent on sending suicide raiders to the Canadian border. I had a small crossing into Illinois by a few units with a leader but they backed out and went south. The only raids on my railroads have come from the remnants of the Sioux when they were booted out of the Planes and retreated into Wisconsin.

Events seem a bit more random in some regards. I don’t know if they are moved or more random but Stand Wait didn’t show up until Oct. in this game and some of the other happenings were different too. Schultz’s Cavalry showed up a turn later than I expected it to.

Movement seems to have been slowed down, at least at the start of the game, with units needing as much as 7 or 8 days for clear fair terrain.

Ship building has been speeded up greatly. Transports build as short as 3 days! The same with gunboats, and even Ironclads seem to get built in only a couple of turns rather than the 60 odd to 99 days it was taking.

A troubling part to the naval game seems to be than adding ships (primarily blockade squadrons) is not altering the blockade %. Perhaps there is something more I need to be doing but that is how it appears.

The only other thing I can think of at the moment is that when some units have arrived the may list one location but be some place else. Example: when the Choctaw arrived the even listed it being a Cairo but it was in Chicago.

I know I must be forgetting some things and likely didn’t notice others but that is what I have seen that has not had in-depth discussion already.

Return to “Help to improve AACW!”