Paul Roberts

Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:02 pm

Paul Roberts wrote:I've played a little AACW and also WIA with this week's new generation of patches, and I think I've had two battles where a general was congratulated for victory (and gained better seniority) despite the fact that the battle was lost. This happened once in AACW and once in WIA.

Casualties in both battles were worse for me than for the winning side.

I know that this kind of thing is sometimes possible, but seeing it so quickly with both new patches makes me wonder if there's a problem.

Is this something to worry about? I can submit a save for at least one of the battle results, I think. (I'll have to get home from vacation first.)

Now I'm home, and here's a save (Beta patch 1.16rc2 with the additional scripts Lodilefty posted here, no mods). Playing CSA.

Sterling Price has just retreated from battle in Springfield, MO, but he has been congratulated for his victory and earned seniority. The sides in the battle were equal 1351 and 1350 men. Price lost 215 men and the Union lost 123.
Attachments
Congrats for Loss.zip
(1.95 MiB) Downloaded 245 times

richfed

AI Options Screen

Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:40 am

Satisfied that the game is pretty stable, I did a new, clean install of 1.16 RC2 with the 2 new files provided by Lodilefty. Then, began a new campaign.

Something I never noticed: in the Options Screen ---> AI Settings -- what used to say "Difficulty," I believe, now says "IA Ranking". [Should be AI, yes?]. The options are Corporal, Major, Lieutenant, and Colonel - in that order, from easiest to hard. I believe the middle 2 ought to be switched.
[color="DarkRed"][SIZE="2"][font="Book Antiqua"]"We've caught them napping!"[/font][/size][/color]

Pocus

Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:34 am

in France at least Major is under Lieutenant. Is it not the case in others countries? Yes this is a (mostly) cosmetic novelty.

As for earning promotion while retreating, this is WAD. If the officer really performed well during the battle, he can still be congratulated, whatever the final outcome.

I'll take a look at the depot problem.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Rafiki

Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:42 am

Pocus wrote:in France at least Major is under Lieutenant. Is it not the case in others countries? Yes this is a (mostly) cosmetic novelty.

Aw, you French people. Why do you have to do stuff in your own special way in so many cases? :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Army_officer_rank_insignia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Army_officer_rank_insignia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_ranks_and_insignia_of_Norway#Army
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

Farseer
Private

Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:06 pm

Pocus wrote:in France at least Major is under Lieutenant. Is it not the case in others countries? Yes this is a (mostly) cosmetic novelty.

As for earning promotion while retreating, this is WAD. If the officer really performed well during the battle, he can still be congratulated, whatever the final outcome.

1: I never heard of a country that has Lieutenant above Major before. I guess the french are unique in many ways. Mostly in good ways. =)

2: I always see that after winning, a general gain seniority and congratulations for his "Victory" while when losing they gain seniority and congratulations for their "engagement with the enemy", not for winning. This has never been reported wrongly in my games.

lodilefty

Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by Pocus
in France at least Major is under Lieutenant. Is it not the case in others countries? Yes this is a (mostly) cosmetic novelty.

hmmm. This easily explains many of the "Command and Control" issues in French Military History:

Waterloo, Sedan, Battle of the Frontiers, Blitzkrieg, Dien Bien Phoo... :blink:

"Who's in Command?
"The Lieutenant, Sir! Fresh out of school!"

:mdr:
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

Paul Roberts

Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:24 pm

Well, non-French armies still use "Lieutenant Colonel" just below "Colonel," so that's probably the same post the French call "Lieutenant."

I guess the non-French "Lieutenants" are something like a "Lieutenant Captain."

gchristie
Brigadier General

Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:38 pm

Reminds me of the old Steve Martin gag - "Boy, those French, they have a different word for everything!" :D

I can also confirm that river transports will not build depots.
"Now, back to Rome for a quick wedding - and some slow executions!"- Miles Gloriosus

lodilefty

Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:05 pm

Paul Roberts wrote:Now I'm home, and here's a save (Beta patch 1.16rc2 with the additional scripts Lodilefty posted here, no mods). Playing CSA.

Sterling Price has just retreated from battle in Springfield, MO, but he has been congratulated for his victory and earned seniority. The sides in the battle were equal 1351 and 1350 men. Price lost 215 men and the Union lost 123.

Yes, rather strange...

..perhaps he's rewarded for successfully salvaging the Militia, most of who will probably vote for Secession....

:mdr:

Will add to the buglist. Thanks!
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]

[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

Jarkko
Colonel

Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:41 pm

Off topic: In France "Major" is the highest NCO rank, comparable to "Sergeant Major" in USA or "Staff Sergeant" in UK or "Oberstabsfeldwebel" in Germany or "Suboficial Mayor" in Spain.

Elsewhere "Major" (without prefixes or suffixes) is the officer rank between Captain and Colonel.
There are three kinds of people: Those who can can count and those who can't.

Pocus

Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:52 pm

Thanks Jarkko for sparing me the details. Major in France (when I did my military service anyway) was the rank above 'Chief Adjutant' [Chief Warrant Officer in English I believe] and only achievable as a special thanks for long term of service.

If this is misleading for everyone but the French, no problem, I can change that.

Nb: In France, the rank between Captain and Colonel is 'Commandant'.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

richfed

Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:04 am

If not too much trouble, I would change it [if I were you]. If only because it is the AMERICAN Civil War the game represents.
[color="DarkRed"][SIZE="2"][font="Book Antiqua"]"We've caught them napping!"[/font][/size][/color]

Gray_Lensman

Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:59 am

deleted

gchristie
Brigadier General

Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:51 am

Trying out the 1.16rc2 patch and am into the late August 1861 turn. Playing as Union, I built two factories in Missouri on the first turn and I've yet to see any results from my investment in industrialization. In previous patches I'm pretty sure I would have seen some increase in ammo, general supply or war supplies by now. Happy to post saved game but I'm wondering if anyone else is seeing a lack of return on investing in industry in this current patch or I'm just getting some lousy rolls in industrial returns?

Other than that, everything else is working great :thumbsup:

I tried a test with a new game by industrializing in 4 Union states and did see dividends paid on my investments, so I must have been getting lousy rolls in the other game. Glad this was not a bug, at least not in the game ;)
"Now, back to Rome for a quick wedding - and some slow executions!"- Miles Gloriosus

Pocus

Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:10 am

Btw, when I said "Thanks Jarkko for sparing me the details." it was to be considered as a positive remark, as in "thanks for explaining to others, so I have less to write" :)

I'll change the ranks.

Franciscus

Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:15 pm

gchristie wrote:Trying out the 1.16rc2 patch and am into the late August 1861 turn. Playing as Union, I built two factories in Missouri on the first turn and I've yet to see any results from my investment in industrialization. In previous patches I'm pretty sure I would have seen some increase in ammo, general supply or war supplies by now. Happy to post saved game but I'm wondering if anyone else is seeing a lack of return on investing in industry in this current patch or I'm just getting some lousy rolls in industrial returns?

Other than that, everything else is working great :thumbsup:

I tried a test with a new game by industrializing in 4 Union states and did see dividends paid on my investments, so I must have been getting lousy rolls in the other game. Glad this was not a bug, at least not in the game ;)

Playing as CSA, I also have seen factories producing WS, General supplies, etc., so I think that this is definitely working :thumbsup:

lodilefty

Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:25 pm

[CENTER][/CENTER]

Return to “Help to improve AACW!”