Degataga
Private

G.W. Smith at Vicksburg

Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:14 am

I've noticed in the 1863 and Vicksburg scenarios G.W. Smith is commanding a division at Vicksburg. However G.W. Smith had nothing to do with the fighting around Vicksburg. I suspect he was confused with General Martin Luther Smith, who built the fortifications around Vicksburg and commanded a division under Pemberton in the campaign.

Doubt its possible to add new leaders to the game at this stage, but it bothers me a bit and I felt should point it out. Maybe for AACW2? :)

Gray_Lensman

Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:17 am

deleted

Colonel Dreux
Major

Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:02 am

Gray_Lensman wrote:I had already mentioned this elsewhere (re: Martin L. Smith) though I was not thinking Gustavius W. Smith was wrongly inserted there. I'll have to research that a little bit more.

edit> It appears you are correct... Gustavius W. Smith does not belong at Vicksburg. In fact as far as I can tell he was never in the western theatre at all. Further research shows the units assigned to him should actually be correctly assigned to Martin L. Smith. Worse, Gustavius W. Smith's name is misspelled throughout the database files. It's supposed to be Gustavius, NOT Gustavus. This rework is slated for October at this point.

see post #54 at this link: http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=14820&highlight=Martin+Smith&page=2

It's also quite possible to add new leaders to the game in specific circumstances and the integration of these new leaders entails a bit of work to properly place them in all the relevant scenarios. This is purely database work, but database work is suspended for now until the game is left in a more stable state. Future work such as this might be accomplished after mid-October depending on circumstances at that time.

His wiki page has his name spelled Gustavus. I cannot recollect seeing it spelled with an i. Other references spell it as Gustavus as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gustavus_Woodson_Smith

http://www.civilwarreference.com/people/index.php?peopleID=35
Oh my God, lay me down!

Gray_Lensman

Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:08 am

deleted

Colonel Dreux
Major

Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:20 am

Gray_Lensman wrote:Cool. My bad... and in this case am I ever glad I was wrong... Changing the name of a leader/unit within the models/units databases is much more complicated than just altering the name in event files. Don't know where I saw Gustavius as the spelling but I'm glad you pointed out the misunderstanding. Thanks for the feedback. :thumbsup:

Deleted from October list of things to do.

By the way if you need database work done, I probably can help out. I'm comfortable with the model files and what not. I've edited them twice over now to my personal preferences. If just cutting and pasting and editing whatever is there, I can probably do it.
Oh my God, lay me down!

Gray_Lensman

Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:25 am

deleted

Colonel Dreux
Major

Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:02 am

Yeah, time intensive stuff.
Oh my God, lay me down!

Eugene Carr
Colonel

Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:18 pm

And you always miss one first time around :)

S! EC
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

bigus
General

Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:52 am

Degataga wrote:I've noticed in the 1863 and Vicksburg scenarios G.W. Smith is commanding a division at Vicksburg. However G.W. Smith had nothing to do with the fighting around Vicksburg. I suspect he was confused with General Martin Luther Smith, who built the fortifications around Vicksburg and commanded a division under Pemberton in the campaign.

Doubt its possible to add new leaders to the game at this stage, but it bothers me a bit and I felt should point it out. Maybe for AACW2? :)

Yes Martin L Smith. Also note that Butler is still in command in LA. He was actually relieved by Banks in Dec 1862.
I did have a modded Vicksburg with added leaders posted a while ago but I thought it was creating some confusion. Martin Smith was added in this modded scenario as were a few other union leaders.

Return to “Help to improve AACW!”