DaemoneIsos
Sergeant

The Horse Marines

Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:20 pm

Tiny little unit detail for when you are getting around to making changes in the database:

The Horse Marines (cavalry unit) were from Indiana, not Iowa (IN, not IA).

There is a great story behind the unusual name: they patrolled the Potomac early in the war, and took to boats to be more effective.

Best,

-D

Gray_Lensman

Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:48 pm

deleted

Gray_Lensman

Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:30 am

deleted

Eugene Carr
Colonel

Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:13 am

The Regimental names for the Iowa cavalry conscripts are for Indiana units.
As you say there has been a mix up with the initials.

S! EC
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

enf91
AGEod Veteran

Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:25 pm

Yeah, and there's a CT cavalry regiment that has .MAP at the end of its name. I'd fix it myself, but I don't know where to go.

Gray_Lensman

Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:57 pm

deleted

DaemoneIsos
Sergeant

All Indiana cavalry AWOL

Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:54 am

Gray_Lensman wrote:This is just a typo in the "Custom Names" category of one of 4 units that use that name. The other 3 units are correct.

Thanks for responding. I am not technical enough to know exactly what the "custom names" list is; is that visible to an amateur?

I do notice that there is no unit category for Indiana cavalry (in the units folder); don't know enough about the Iowa contribution to the war, but certainly there were IN cavalry. I think this is what Eugene was referring to. My sense is that this requires more than a typo fix?

Good luck, -D

Gray_Lensman

Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:12 am

deleted

DaemoneIsos
Sergeant

Back Home Again

Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:17 am

Gray_Lensman wrote:My "sense" tells me it's fixed as a typo error, especially since I fixed it. One of the "custom name entries had an entry 3rd IA 'Horse Marines', it got reworked to 3rd IN 'Horse Marines'... Pretty much meets the definition of a typo.... Play on and enjoy.

Forgive me Gray; I guess I am not getting my question across properly. Please bear with me while I try again.

The Indiana Horse Marines are currently recruited in Iowa, and it is not possible to recruit any cavalry at all in Indiana.

In order to recruit them in their home state, I presume that there would have to be an Indiana Cavalry unit created in the units list (there is not one today). I am inferring that there would also have to be a link from the Horse Marines to the new IN unit, rather than to the current IA unit.

I am afraid that these two steps are beyond my direct understanding of the game's data structures; is this on target?

This is by no means a priority; I was just curious about how to help connect some of the dots, since I know that historical flavor is one of the joys of the game.

Best regards,

-D

Gray_Lensman

Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:58 am

deleted

Return to “Help to improve AACW!”