Colonel Dreux
Major

Map Names

Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:05 am

I'm aware there have been a number of positive changes to the map names in the game. Most recently bodies of water off the Louisiana coast haven been edited.

That made me look at the map more closely, in regions where hardly any action takes place and many place names either are made up or don't exist, and could be changed.

Perhaps a State by State edit could be done where we get all the place names on the map to be as accurate as possible. People could take one State, go through it with a map of the time period and edit the names accordingly.

Some examples of inaccuracies I've found in my neck of the woods are Woods, LA and Cajun, LA. No such places exist. Parish names should probably be used instead, I think.

Thoughts?
Oh my God, lay me down!

Gray_Lensman

Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:29 am

deleted

Colonel Dreux
Major

Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:39 am

Gray_Lensman wrote:There is so much work involved in changing the names "officially" especially if they are "graphically" displayed on the map, that I have now moved on to other topics. I am no longer spending the hours necessary to make regional name changes in relatively non-important areas. Basically a dead topic going forward. You are more than welcome to attempt to MOD them to suit yourself.

Basically, I spent 2 years reworking the RRs and quite a few of the mispellings on the game map. I am not revisiting it anymore.

Yeah, you had said that. It's not really that important. Parts of the map are hardly even used. I hadn't noticed some of the names in Louisiana until I checked out the body of waters that had their names changed.

Perhaps if AACW II happens, this could be done prior to the game coming out. People from those States go over the map and make sure the names at least relate to some actual place name in the area, etc... It's not all that important to be honest. I just noticed they made up some names for some places.

I enjoy the imagination behind some of the names though.
Oh my God, lay me down!

tc237
Colonel

Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:25 am

I doubt Ageod "made up some names".
They probably got the name from a period map of a location nearby.

Gray_Lensman

Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:58 am

deleted

Return to “Help to improve AACW!”