W.Barksdale
AGEod Grognard

John Markmaduke

Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:11 pm

I'd like to see General Marmaduke added to the game (april campaign). He played an important role in spoiling many of the Federal advances in the west and trans-Mississippi theatres. Here's a brief recap of his war record:

After a heroic performance at Shiloh Colonel Marmaduke was promoted to Brigadier General in late April, 1862.

Given the oppurtunity to serve in operations to regain his home state of Missouri he was transferred to the Department of the Transmississippi under General Holmes.

At the Battle of Cane Hill, his cavalry division was surprised by Federal forces advancing south. However, he was able to extricate his command and suffered only 45 casualties.

In the days following his division delivered a smashing attack, at the battle of Prarie Grove, which decimated two regiments of Herron's Yankee division.

In the Spring 1863 he began his second raid into Missouri. At the battle of Cape Girardeau, he was able to skillfully save Colonel Carters bde from ultimate destruction and save his entire command by crossing the rapids of the St. Francis River during the Federal pursuit.

In September, he successfully covered the rebel retreat after the evacuation of Little Rock.

In 1864, he prevented Steele's army from linking up from Banks' forces coming north from New Orleans. It took Steele over 3 weeks to cover only 125 miles. The conclusion of this campaign was the battle of Jenkin's Ferry in which Steele's army just narrowly escaped destruction. General Marmaduke was promoted to Major General for his services in the campaign.

He was captured on Oct. 24, 1864 after a third raid into Missouri.

I'd rate him as 5-2-2 or 4-2-2 with cavalryman, screener, and Good Army Administrator.

Here's a more detailed biography

Please consider adding him!
"Tell General Lee that if he wants a bridge of dead Yankees I can furnish him with one."
-General William Barksdale at Fredericksburg

W.Barksdale
AGEod Grognard

Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:24 pm

Okay so apparaently he is in there. However, he is appearing MUCH too late. 1864 I believe it is now?? His traits should be fixed to better reflect his skills. I can't believe he doesn't have cavalryman at least!!

Weird why he appears in 1865 as he was captured in 1864 :bonk:
"Tell General Lee that if he wants a bridge of dead Yankees I can furnish him with one."

-General William Barksdale at Fredericksburg

Eugene Carr
Colonel

Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:28 pm

John S. Marmaduke is in the game however he isnt brought in until 18/3/65 which seems pretty late, I think he had a division from late in 1862.

S! EC
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

runyan99

Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:45 am

Yeah Marmaduke appears late. Good luck getting this kind of thing changed.

Gray_Lensman

Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:58 am

deleted

Big Ideas
Captain

Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:01 pm

Hey I googled John S Marmaduke and one of the references was here!
Many of the references were straight copies of the Wikipedia entry saying that Marmaduke remained a brigadier-general until March 1865- when he was promoted to major-general even though he was in a Union prison camp. As a brigadier-general he wouldn't appear in the game. Only after his promotion in March 1865.
Attachments
marmaduke.jpg

Gray_Lensman

Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:43 pm

deleted

Gray_Lensman

Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:12 pm

deleted

tyler11
Conscript
Location: Northwest GA, or Central Missouri...depends if school is in session

Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:53 am

I know it is kind of late to post on this thread. But i have noticed that there is a Markmaduke division in Little Rock for the 1863 game. It seems weird that he has a division named after him yet he is not a leader yet.

Return to “Help to improve AACW!”