Manstein
Brigadier General

Strange battle result

Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:09 pm

For Pocus and Gray.

Hi, friends.
I´m playing with the 1.13b patch, I as CSA vs the IA. I had a battle at Norfolf. The federals disembarked on Hood. Hood, inconceivablely retreated after the first day of battle, and it was the result:

I lost the battle, losing the half of Union casualties, destroying one full federal division and losing 4 NM points!!!

O.K. with the owner of terrain win the battle, but I think that nobody must lose NM because my casualties were minimum.

Gray_Lensman

Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:17 pm

deleted

Manstein
Brigadier General

Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:01 pm

Sorry, Gray, but I don´t agree with you.
The 4NM points that I lost were for tha battle, no for a political situation. At next turn I attacked Norfolk with Hood (because his cohesion was well) and the North retreated and I reconquered Norfolk and I didn´t win the 4NM points, but his importance was the same one turn or other.

mikee64
Brigadier General

Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:40 am

Not sure about the NM loss either, but as to why Hood retreated you could find the dirty details in the iBattleLog.txt file that is generated each turn in your "Logs" folder.

There you will see what factors affected his retreat % and the die roll made. It could have just been an extremely unlucky die roll; I have seen everything from a low of a roll of 5 (as below) to a high of 85.

One random example:

" Checking combat stance for United States of America in region 142 Roanoke, VA
7:46:03 PM (Reporting) InCS %: 0 New Retreat Will %: 100
7:46:03 PM (Reporting) Ammo %: 67 New Retreat Will %: 149
7:46:03 PM (Reporting) Weighted average of Trench levels: 0
7:46:03 PM (Reporting) Power of opponents compared to us: 166.67 % Base Retreat Will: 98.00 %
7:46:03 PM (Reporting) Dice rolled: 5
7:46:03 PM (Reporting) => We will try to retreat
7:46:03 PM (Reporting) Retreat Chance after ROE: 207 %
7:46:03 PM (Reporting) The retreat chance for 1004853 3rd PA 'Young's KY Lt.Cav.' is: 85 %
7:46:03 PM (Reporting) Dice rolled: 79
3rd PA 'Young's KY Lt.Cav.' succeeded in retreating
7:46:03 PM (Reporting) 3rd PA 'Young's KY Lt.Cav.' will take 0 hits while retreating (no hits can be done on round 0)
7:46:03 PM (Reporting) 3rd PA 'Young's KY Lt.Cav.' is retreating toward Amherst, VA
7:46:03 PM (Reporting) Group 3rd PA 'Young's KY Lt.Cav.' has retreated"

Gray_Lensman

Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:41 am

deleted

arsan

Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:00 am

Hi
I'm not 100% sure (surely some AACW veteran can confirm or deny it) but i believe the NM losses and gains for losing important objective and strategic cities are awarded independently from the battle NM gain/losses.
So this -4 NM would be for the battle (and IMHO it looks like too big a loss for a small battle with negligible losses and no complete element destrcution) and the NM hit for lossing Norfolk would we awarded on a separate event / message line.

Unfortunately, Manstein explained last night on the Spanish forums that he don't think he has kept thr save game/logs so if this is a fluke a bug or nothing at all will probably remain a mystery until a new case arises :bonk:

PS Moral: always post saves and logs with your "strange thing" screens :thumbsup:

mikee64
Brigadier General

Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:59 pm

We should be able to re-process the turn/battle if he has the backups still, right?

Manstein
Brigadier General

Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:26 pm

I´m agree with Arsan. That was really my question.

I could, finally, save the backups. I hope that this were not very heavy.

I place the turn resolution more the backup of previous turn.
Attachments
Mansteingame.zip
(2.35 MiB) Downloaded 214 times

mikee64
Brigadier General

Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:09 am

Here is a different battle, but I thought it might be good to consolidate these things in one thread.

Not so strange as the one earlier, although I do wonder about the 0 casualties for the attacker. What really lead me to post this here is the attacker opened fire at range 5 and the defender opened fire at range 0! Both sides had the same type cannons; 12 pdr, 10 pdr and 20pdr. I have no clue what caused the defender to not open fire until range zero - any ideas?

BTW these same forces went on to fight a series of battles during the same turn, which the CSA won.

Coregonas
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:40 am

In this battle, seems a lonely cavalry fought against all the enemy corps...

meanwhile A.S.J. was sleeping in his camp and didnt realized his valiant horsemen were being wiped out by a tremendous enemy artillery fire... :wacko:

Big Ideas
Captain

Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:19 pm

My thoughts on the Battle of Nashville are:

Not all of your stacks will be involved in every battle. I think that the CSA were in three stacks in the region with 20% inside the city. The one-star general (who died) and the two cav elements that were destroyed were in one stack and that one stack was engaged by the USA army separately from the rest. The other two stacks didn't engage in that first screenie. Not only did the CSA have zero range, their luck would have read as zero- probably meaning they didn't get a chance to fire before surrendering.

In the next round of battles that you mentioned, one or both of the remaining CSA stacks engaged and fought off the Yankees.

mikee64
Brigadier General

Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:33 pm

Above 2 posts are pretty much correct, thanks for the feedback. I confirmed this by looking into the BattleLog file. N.B.F. and the cav regiment were moving into the region and were apparently engaged alone by the entire US force. When they made their "check for retreat" evaluation the entire strength of the CS forces were included, resulting in a "we do not need to retreat" decision... So NBF had to then endure about 500 shots against him at decreasing range until finally destroyed.

the only thing I'm still confused about is why he never shot back - not only did he not inflict any hits, but he never even made a "to hit" die roll. His cohesion was fine... at the start. ;)

Big Ideas
Captain

Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:13 pm

Partly because any element that takes a lose during a battle will make a discipline check and if it fails becomes shaken then its rate of fire is halved for the current round.

Mostly because your elements were routed with long-ranged fire and "routed units no longer participate in the battle." If there were more troops in the stack that was engaged then the routed elements would have been rotated out during the next round, but instead surrendered. So the CSA didn't get to shoot.

mikee64
Brigadier General

Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:41 pm

thanks BI... makes sense now. Moral of the story - don't move reinforcements into a region the same turn your opponent attacks!
Mike

Return to “Help to improve AACW!”