McNaughton

New Regiment Names

Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:31 pm

Whenever you build a brigade, the brigade is names (i.e., 1st New York), but, the Regiments just have generic names (i.e., Infantry, 6lb Artillery), while units gained via events have historic regimental names (i.e., 71st Pennsylvania). Would it be possible to create a build list for regiment names, as there are for brigades? Even if it was something like 'I/1st New York', 'II/1st New York', it would be more flavourful than 'Infantry'. However, I don't know if this is possible.

marecone

Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:43 pm

Le Rician and myself did took a week or even more to post all historical regiments including: infantry, militia, cavalry, artyllery, even ship names and partisans.
Majority of regimental names were in format as 9th New York or such but we did include historical flavor names like ... Wait here is an example how we did it:

INFANTRY
Regulars Arkansas

1st Arkansas|1st AR 'Colquitt's Inf.'|2nd Arkansas|3rd AR 'Marmaduke's Rgt.'|4th Arkansas|5th Arkansas|6th Arkansas|7th Arkansas|8th Arkansas|9th Arkansas|10th Arkansas|11th Arkansas|12th Arkansas|13th Arkansas|14th AR 'McCarver's Inf.'|14th AR 'Powers' Inf.'|15th AR 'Yell Rifles'|15th AR 'Northwest Inf.'|15th AR 'Josey's Inf.'|16th Arkansas|17th Arkansas|17th AR 'Griffith's Inf.'|18th Arkansas|19th Arkansas|19th AR 'Dockery's Inf.'|20th Arkansas|21st Arkansas|22nd Arkansas|23rd Arkansas|24th Arkansas|25th Arkansas|26th Arkansas|27th Arkansas|28th Arkansas|29th Arkansas|30th Arkansas|31st Arkansas|32nd Arkansas|33rd Arkansas|34th Arkansas|35th Arkansas|36th Arkansas|37th Arkansas|38th Arkansas|

*Arkansas raised over 30 infantry regiments and battalion
**10 with nicks
Forrest said something about killing a Yankee for each of his horses that they shot. In the last days of the war, Forrest had killed 30 of the enemy and had 30 horses shot from under him. In a brief but savage conflict, a Yankee soldier "saw glory for himself" with an opportunity to kill the famous Confederate General... Forrest killed the fellow. Making 31 Yankees personally killed, and 30 horses lost...

He remarked, "I ended the war a horse ahead."

Pocus

Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:19 pm

this will be done, but top priority was the bugs, for the first week.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

christof139
Lieutenant

Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:08 pm

marecone wrote:Le Rician and myself did took a week or even more to post all historical regiments including: infantry, militia, cavalry, artyllery, even ship names and partisans.
Majority of regimental names were in format as 9th New York or such but we did include historical flavor names like ... Wait here is an example how we did it:

Please note, most CSA Regiments using the same number were renumbered in 1862and 1863 although there were a very few that used the same number until the end of the war. So, the three 15th Arkansas Inf. Regts., if they are all Infantry to begin with, is not advisable to use. What is advisable to use is the mid to late war numerical designations of the units. The 15th NW AK Inf. Regt. may be the most famous of them.

You need Sifakis' Compendium of Confederate Armies volumes. I have these for the Trans Miss., and there are some other books available and there are the State sites on the web that are very good. The NY State site is excellent as are many other State sites.

Also, when USA State Militia units were activated and assigned or taken into to the regular army they usually gave up their numerical State Militia designations and adapted numerical State Volunteer Regimental designations, but on a day to day basis their State Militia designations were also used. :bonk: :p leure:

You did a good job overall!!! Congrats!!!

Google Search Link:

http://tinyurl.com/3xwbjb

Search using 'Michigan in the Civil War":

http://users.aol.com/dlharvey/infantry.htm

For 'Arkansas in the Civil War':

http://tinyurl.com/38cnn7

USA and CSA Arkansas units in the ACW:

http://www.rootsweb.com/~arcivwar/

http://www.tarleton.edu/~kjones/CSar-fl.html#AR-Inf

Regimental Index below:

http://www.civilwararchive.com/regim.htm

Type in 'X State in the Civil War' in Google and there is some very excellent info. as you may already know.

Chris

marecone

Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:36 pm

First thatk you for your kind words :cwboy:

I can't remember where I looked but some of the sites were "foxes regimental loses" with complete listings of regiments. I have used wiki and 2 or 3 other ACW sites as well. If there were any misunderstandings I would double or triple check so I guess that data provided by Le Rician and me ar at least 90% or even more accurate.
When you take into consideration that there were over 1,000 regiments raised in ACW I think that this is a good result.

Anyway, if you think you can improve some of data then you are free to do so. I would like to play the game with 100% accurate data if possible :cwboy: .

Godspeed
Forrest said something about killing a Yankee for each of his horses that they shot. In the last days of the war, Forrest had killed 30 of the enemy and had 30 horses shot from under him. In a brief but savage conflict, a Yankee soldier "saw glory for himself" with an opportunity to kill the famous Confederate General... Forrest killed the fellow. Making 31 Yankees personally killed, and 30 horses lost...

christof139
Lieutenant

Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:33 pm

marecone wrote:First thatk you for your kind words.

I can't remember where I looked but some of the sites were "foxes regimental loses" with complete listings of regiments. I have used wiki and 2 or 3 other ACW sites as well. If there were any misunderstandings I would double or triple check so I guess that data provided by Le Rician and me ar at least 90% or even more accurate.
When you take into consideration that there were over 1,000 regiments raised in ACW I think that this is a good result.

Anyway, if you think you can improve some of data then you are free to do so. I would like to play the game with 100% accurate data if possible.

Godspeed

You're welcome. You did real good, but what I am saying is that it will be as confusing in the game as it was during the war to have 2 or 3 Regiments from the same State with the same numerical desigbation, and that is why when a Militia unit was activated into the US Volunteer force it usually was given a numerical State Volunteer number and its numerical State number was not officially used. In the case of the three Arkansas Infantry Regiments even using additional commanders' names or nicknames will cause confusion.

1) 15th Arkansas Infantry Regt., from change of designation of 1st Infantry Regiment State Troops on July 23, 1861, and designated by the CSA War Dept. (CSA WD) as the 15th Inf. Regt. on Dec. 31, 1861, and this was Cleburne's Regt.

2) Arkansas 15th Regiment State Militia, mustered in March 10, 1862 and mustered out March 11, 1862, becoming Williamson's Infantry Battalion sometime in March or April, 1862.

3) 15th Arkansas Infantry Regt., Gee's-Johnson's Regt., organized Jan. 2, 1862 at Camden, Ark., captured at Ft. Donelson on Feb. 16, 1862 and declared exchanged in the Fall of 1862. Reorganized as the 15th Ark. on Oct. 16, 1862 at Jackson, MS. Consolidated with the 16th Ark. Inf. Regt. from Jan. or Feb. to July, 1863. Surrendered at Port Hudson, LA on July 8, 1863. After being exchanged in the Fall of 1863, reorganized in the Fall of 1863 and consolidated with the 19th Ak. Inf. Regt. from Nov., 1863. In the late Summer or early Fall of 1864 it was again consolidated with another unknown15th Ark. Inf. Regt, the 20th Ark. Inf. Regt. and Dawson's-Hardy's Consolidated Regiment, but this last consolidation may also have occurred on Nov. 29, 1864. It was known as the 3rd Infantry Regiment Consolidated, Trans Miss. Dept.

4) 15th NW Ark. Inf. Regt., Hobb's-Boone's Inf. Regt., Organized byt the change of designation of McRae's 21st Ark. Inf. Regt. about Feb., 1863. Captured at Vicksburg July 4, 1863 and exchanged latter in the year and consolidated with the 14th, 16th and 21st (renumbered 21st from the consolidation of the 14th (McCarver's) and 17th (Lemoyne's)) Inf. Bns. on May 14, 1862) in January 1864.

So, either make Cleburne's 15th Ark. Inf. Regt. as the only 15th, or make the 15th NW Ark. as the only 15th or be sure to leave 'NW' in its title as you no doubt will, and be sure to name Cleburne's regt. as the 15th Cleburne's Ark. Inf. Regt. This then would not be so confusing as there would then be only 2 and not 3 known and 1 unknown 15th Ark. Inf. Regts. in the game, and this of course excludes the State Troops 15th Ark. Inf. Regt.
:bonk: :cwboy: :8o: :cuit: :confused:

Ha ha ha!!! Why couldn't the war have been more organized????????
:niark: :tournepas

Chris

marecone

Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:50 pm

lol
:niark: I wanted to tell you that finding this info about regiments is hell :p apy: . Especially for rebs.
Now, you see only regular infantry regiments from Arkansas. We did go through every state and all army services from sharpshoters to guerillas.
:cuit:

Anyway, feel free to correct all wrong data.

Godspeed

christof139
Lieutenant

Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:15 am

marecone wrote:lol
:niark: I wanted to tell you that finding this info about regiments is hell :p apy: . Especially for rebs.
Now, you see only regular infantry regiments from Arkansas. We did go through every state and all army services from sharpshoters to guerillas.
:cuit:

Anyway, feel free to correct all wrong data.

Godspeed

Yes, much is on the inet, but Sifakis' Compendium of the Confederate Armies and other books are the best bet for finding and identifying units.

Tell me if you want anything for the CSA Trans Miss. States' units, as I have all of Sifakis' volumes dealing with the Trans Miss. and another similar book on just Texas units.

Remember, these and many other books are published in the USA and are hard and expensive to get elsewhere.

Also, go here if you haven't already found this site:

http://www.4thmichigan.com/4th_Michigan_History.htm

The 4th Michigan was Michigan's only Zouave Regiment, and had only 8 rather than 10 Companies. Many early to mid war Union Regiemtns only had 8 Companies, which was the minimum for a Regiment to have per the USA War Dept. Regulations.

The site has some very interesting facts. Scroll down to 'Fun and Frolic' for some humor and then down to New Bridge.

The 4th MI became an elite unit, beat the tar out of about 5-times its number of Rebs including Wheat's LouisianaTiger Zouave Battalion at New Bridge, VA I think it was. They killed and captured 161 Confeds. and 2-pieces of Arty., for a loss of their own of only 3-men. The 4th was the first Union unit to defeat Wheat's Louisiana Tigers Battalion. I believe Custer somehow got mixed-up in this attack and charge by the 4th MI at New Bridge, not sure but I think so. The 4th also lost its Colors and its Colonel was bayonetted in the Wheatfield at Gettysburg on the 2nd Day when the 4th was attacked from front, flank, and rear. This was one of the most respected and feared of Union Infantry Regiments, they were bad news for the Rebs. They fought in the East, but upon discharge in 1864, the 4th was reformed and then fought in the Western Theater until the end of the war.

Chris
That's a USS Cairo class river ironclad, one of Pook's turtles.

Return to “Help to improve AACW!”