lycortas
Sergeant

I'm late

Tue May 13, 2008 1:26 pm

Hi all,

I purchased AACW on a whim in February because i had no decent computer wargame. I liked AACW quite a bit and have been fiddling with it and getting the courage up to play my first Pbem game. Excellent game.

So, based on AACW i purchased NC's and BOA. NC's is very good, i think i enjoy it more than some people have been saying.

Then we get to BOA. I have wargamed for 27 years (yikes!) now and i do not hand out praise for every new thing.
BOA is maybe the best wargame i have ever played. It is elegant. Simple, yet detailed. Incredibly clean interface. I cannot stop playing and for the first time in quite a while it is interfering with work. Hmm... paycheck or see if all of my militia is going home... hard choice!

Anyway, i know this is late praise but excellent game, 10/10!

Thanks for making this,
Michael Johnson

Heldenkaiser
AGEod Grognard

Tue May 13, 2008 3:04 pm

lycortas wrote:It is elegant. Simple, yet detailed. Incredibly clean interface.

Hear hear! BoA is what got me hooked. I find the Civil War more fascinating, but the beauty and simplicity of BoA is hard to beat. :)
[color="Gray"]"These Savages may indeed be a formidable Enemy to your raw American Militia, but, upon the King's regular & disciplined Troops, Sir, it is impossible they should make any Impression." -- General Edward Braddock[/color]
Colonial Campaigns Club (supports BoA and WiA)
[color="Gray"]"... and keep moving on." -- General U.S. Grant[/color]
American Civil War Game Club (supports AACW)

Lee
Private

Tue May 13, 2008 6:45 pm

Well spotted guys, well spotted. My first impression about BoA was just simply: this game is FRESH.

MarkShot

Wed May 14, 2008 1:27 am

lycortas wrote:Hi all,

I purchased AACW on a whim in February because i had no decent computer wargame. I liked AACW quite a bit and have been fiddling with it and getting the courage up to play my first Pbem game. Excellent game.

So, based on AACW i purchased NC's and BOA. NC's is very good, i think i enjoy it more than some people have been saying.

Then we get to BOA. I have wargamed for 27 years (yikes!) now and i do not hand out praise for every new thing.
BOA is maybe the best wargame i have ever played. It is elegant. Simple, yet detailed. Incredibly clean interface. I cannot stop playing and for the first time in quite a while it is interfering with work. Hmm... paycheck or see if all of my militia is going home... hard choice!

Anyway, i know this is late praise but excellent game, 10/10!

Thanks for making this,
Michael Johnson

Michael,

Thanks for your observations.

I remember my first exposure to BOA.

I was struck by the beauty of the map. The map is hand drawn as opposed to computer rendered by some table driven data approach. Of course, that did add quite a bit to memory requirements.

Additionally, I had found the drag and drop interface with units and the map to be highly intuitive and friendly.

As a systems person, I am always impressed when a design is able to do more with less. In a word, that is "elegance". Too often in software, the practice is to do more with more. This leads to unnecessarily cumbersome and awkward interfaces. BOA was really very refreshing when I first saw it.

Have fun!

Return to “Birth of America”