FM WarB
Colonel

Virginia State Battalions 1775-1776

Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:31 pm

By mid 1776, Virginia had raised eight Virginia State Battalions, enlisted for a year of service (Like the state battalions of other states). These battalions had ten companies, seven musket-armed and three rifle-armed. Pensylvania and North Carolina had some similarly organized units.

Apparently, the Virginia state legislature was totally unconcerned what issues this organization would cause for those wishing to aqueeze such an organization into a four element per regiment system. :siffle:

...Three musket elements, and one rifle per regiment,,,,,,if we ever get rifles.

lodilefty

Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:34 pm

The challenge is, again, to walk the fine line between 'what was' and 'what could have been'...

There are several VA units created by events, and then several more could be via 'AutoRaise', which (I think) evaluates the 'owned VP cities in a state' to generate units for that state up to a max pool size.

To make it wierder, the AutoRaise generates both Militia and Untrained Regular infantry.

Rifles? For now they are abstracted in the existing unit/model types (I think, based on the Morgan's Rifles unit, and the Rangers/Montaineers units).

Whether to create specific Rifle Elements I will leave to Hok and PhilThib....
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

lodilefty

Riflemen discussion

Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:54 pm

A good dissertation on Riflemen from Jaggers mod:

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=4949&highlight=rifles post#8

We could implement these, if OK with Hok and/or the 'Phils'.....
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]

[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

PhilThib

Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:39 pm

Seems OK for me, but have a look with Hok about it (he will be away this Easter week-end, so do not expect much answer in the next 3 days :siffle: )

lodilefty

Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:04 pm

PhilThib wrote:Seems OK for me, but have a look with Hok about it (he will be away this Easter week-end, so do not expect much answer in the next 3 days :siffle: )

OK.
I think I need a break too! :cwboy:

Happy Holiday
[CENTER][/CENTER]

FM WarB
Colonel

Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:53 am

I have followed that thread. It's not just my idea.

Morgan is a special case. He commanded one of 13 companies of rifelemen that were formed in PA, VA and MD and went to Boston in '75. These would eventually become the 1st Continetal Regt in 1776.

Morgan's rifle company, and two others accompanied Arnold on his march to Quebec in 1775, where Morgan got captured during the ill fated assault. He was exchanged for some British officer (and a bad trade for them it turned out to be) and formed a rifle regiment in Virginia in 1777, which were known as Morgan's Riflemen.

There were also Mounted Riflemen, from Virginia, NC, SC, GA, and the Over the mountain boys. At King's Mountain, only 900 of some 1800 of them had horses fit enough to carry them to the battle, after riding and gathering before. (They still kicked ass.)

Return to “Birth of America”