FM WarB
Colonel

What is an element, and what is its strength?

Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:58 pm

As most regiments have 8-10 companies an element cannot be a company. I have not figured out how to determine how strong (in men) these elements are. Company strengths varied per nation.

The limit of four elements per regiment seems to suggest each element is two companies for Brit, American and French regiments, and one company for German regiments, with Grenadiers and light companies detached into separate battalions where appropriate. Certain oddball ten company regiments would be a problem.

How do I determine the strength in men of these elements?

I know it wont be changed for BoA1, but will the number of elements per unit be increased for BoA2 to allow for more accurate TOE representation of regiments, and also show their strength in men via tooltip?

lodilefty

Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:39 am

wups! somtimes these things get lost in the sheer volume.
Plus BoA is a less frequented 'place' right now, only because of it's age!

IMHO, BoA doesn't 'line up' elements as sub-units as well as AACW [where they are clearly regiments or batteries].

My way of looking at this is taht it's all 'game approximation', where the elements represent the old 'partial losses' of some earlier wargames.

So one element of 4 possible is more like 1/4 of the troop strength.

You can look at the Models [which are are the elements] but they don't really show 'men' lie AACW.

So, a regiment of AME militia [4 elements] is differentiated from a regiment of elite ENG regulars [4 elements] by the combat ratings only.

If you're confused enough, I'll stop for now!!!!! :tournepas

...and it's not my place to publicize the developing work on BoA2..... :innocent:
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

Heldenkaiser
AGEod Grognard

Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:31 am

I tend to rationalize this as one element = two companies. It works for most situations, and gives some idea of the strength.

This will make a full unit of four elements a battalion, and a unit of only two elements a half-battalion.
[color="Gray"]"These Savages may indeed be a formidable Enemy to your raw American Militia, but, upon the King's regular & disciplined Troops, Sir, it is impossible they should make any Impression." -- General Edward Braddock[/color]
Colonial Campaigns Club (supports BoA and WiA)
[color="Gray"]"... and keep moving on." -- General U.S. Grant[/color]
American Civil War Game Club (supports AACW)

FM WarB
Colonel

Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:44 pm

I sure hate to answer my own question, but it was a long wait for a reply. Doing the math, about 16 men per "heart" is about right. At full strength, 8 64 man companies (two companies per element) per regiment of Brit, american or french, and 4 128 man companies for the Germans.

It's nice to dig down and find out a game designer got something right, for a change.

Return to “Birth of America”