Doomwalker
Brigadier General

AACW player just got BOA

Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:01 am

I just recently got BoA, and have played AACW for a looonnnngggg time. Can anyone tell me what I am missing? Going from playing AACW to BoA, I am just lost. I have all the recruiting and reinforcing to worry about in AACW, is there any in BoA?
[color="DarkGreen"][SIZE="2"]“We may be annihilated, but we cannot be conquered.”

- General Albert Sidney Johnston[/size][/color]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[CENTER][color="DarkGreen"]AGEod's American Civil War Wiki - [/color][color="DarkGreen"]AACWWiki[/color][/CENTER]

Ardie
Captain

Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:21 pm

Noup.

You get your reinforcements automatically as new continental and militia regiment enlist.

The trick in Boa is to keep your regiments from disbanding. This can be achieved with placing them under "charismatic" (ability) leaders like Washy, Greene and a few others. And with training. The militia can be trained to vanilla regulars (untrained infantry) which in turn can be trained to yep...trained infantry who don't disband.

Boa is much more lighter game than AACW...more fast paced.

FLS

Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:27 pm

Don't forget that BoA is the first game of the series. BoA 2 will have some improvements from AACW.

So wait and see.

FLS

Doomwalker
Brigadier General

Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:56 pm

Ah ok, I was wondering. I felt that I was not doing something right because all I had to do was worry about getting guys to the fights. That explains it all.

That and I was used to the complexity of AACW.

Thank you for the insight.
[color="DarkGreen"][SIZE="2"]“We may be annihilated, but we cannot be conquered.”

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[CENTER][color="DarkGreen"]AGEod's American Civil War Wiki - [/color][color="DarkGreen"]AACWWiki[/color][/CENTER]

orca
Lieutenant

Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:29 am

In the campaign games recruiting is not predetermined, it depends on how you're doing on the map. There are levies every 6 months. For each region (e.g., New England, Deep South) the more strategic cities you control the more continentals you recruit. Militia are a little different - you get the most when you control about half the strategic cities, but very few when the British aren't present. For both type of unit if you don't control any strategic cities in a region you get no levies.

And of course you still have to worry about supply, command capacity and activation to ensure that your armies fight with decent effectiveness.

Doomwalker
Brigadier General

Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:55 am

OK, let me go try me another hand at and see if I can get any further than I did the several times I have tried already.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Korrigan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:14 am

FLS wrote:Don't forget that BoA is the first game of the series. BoA 2 will have some improvements from AACW.

Yes indeed, but BoA does not the same version of the engine. its design obeys to a different philosophy.

In the BoA version of the engine (BoA 1, NCP), you are a general, your involment in economy and politics matters is limited. Your main concern is about strategy.

In the AACW version of the engine, you are the commander in chief of your country. You deal with military operations but you also have to handle Economy, Recruitment, Politics, Diplomacy, etc.

In the VGN version of the engine, you'll the leader of your country and your focus will be even more about economics, inner politics, diplomacy, etc. Military affairs will be much more simplified.

Each version of the engine obeys to a specific design to simulate a specific conflict. Hence, to us the AACW engine to simulate the French & Indian War would non-historical (no army/corps system, no organised supply, etc.).

However, each game is better than the previous. "BoA 2, Wars in America" will display an extended map, more units, more campaigns, etc. but it will offer brand new modules.
Hence, the recruitment system will be much interesting, you'll be able to buy some units according to different historical and game factors. ie: the Americans will be able to buy some artileries from the French after some strategical successes (no economy management à la AACW), however they will never be able to match the British on this aspect. So don't expect to find the AACW system, but expect to find something appropriate to simulat the period and the conflict.

Best regards,

Korrigan
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." Mark Twain

Doomwalker
Brigadier General

Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:29 pm

AH yes, that explains a bit more. I was thinking that BoA and AACW functioned the same. Now I understand the difference.

BoA2 eh, think we will ever get to see a AACW2 with full US map? I would love that. I mean since everything is setup as "This is what you had at this time in history, what you do from now on is how you change history" type, I would really like to have the far west to play (and conquer as the CSA).

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “Birth of America”