Stoneage
Private

Save Game Enhancement

Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:16 am

Unless I am doing something wrong, there appears to be a bit of a design problem with the save game function. For example lets say I want to save a game position where I am doing really well, I select ctrl-save and call it goodgame. After a few more turns I realise thing aren't going the way I want and I reload goodgame only to find it has been automatically overritten with the start of the current month. At the moment in order to make a save game I am having to save twice, once as goodgame, then as monthyearxxxx, this means monthyearxxxx is overwritten and goodgame can be reloaded as required.

Le Ricain

Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:34 pm

Stoneage wrote:Unless I am doing something wrong, there appears to be a bit of a design problem with the save game function. For example lets say I want to save a game position where I am doing really well, I select ctrl-save and call it goodgame. After a few more turns I realise thing aren't going the way I want and I reload goodgame only to find it has been automatically overritten with the start of the current month. At the moment in order to make a save game I am having to save twice, once as goodgame, then as monthyearxxxx, this means monthyearxxxx is overwritten and goodgame can be reloaded as required.

Stoneage,

What you are saying is correct. However, you only have to do the double save once. Thereafter, you only have to ctrl-save once as the previously saved game is frozen.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'Nous voilà, Lafayette'

Colonel C.E. Stanton, aide to A.E.F. commander John 'Black Jack' Pershing, upon the landing of the first US troops in France 1917

Pocus

Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:49 pm

This is the old name which is set aside, not the new one. So if you are playing "mygame" and make a save as into a "newgame", you continue with newgame and mygame is your backup.

Newgame is always overwritten from turn to turn, the engine is done like that (games like Stars and Dominions function like this).

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Frank E

Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:27 pm

Pocus wrote:Newgame is always overwritten from turn to turn, the engine is done like that (games like Stars and Dominions function like this).

*cough* :p

Return to “Birth of America”