iroquois
Private

In the 1755-1760 campaign what is your strategy for the french side?

Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:53 pm

In the 1755-1760 campaign what is your strategy for the french side?

how you use the french commandeers...is levis better to atack in the wilderness, or montcalm???
and the canadian officers who is the best?

IronBrigadeYankee
Major

Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:41 am

To paraphrase an answer I gave to a post along these lines a while back - "The French are inferior in terms of numbers, and the difference becomes greater as the war progresses, however they also have - for the most part - better leadership and more irregulars to call upon. Their best bet is to strike hard early, then make the Brits pay for every inch they have to retake. The British have the opposite problem in that they have many troops, but their often poorly led formations can founder in the wilderness as the stumble around blindly. As the campaign goes on their numbers will begin to tell." Adding to that, remember that there are a limited number of corridors into Canada - Ft. Duquesne and the Great Lakes, the Hudson-Champlain route, and the St. Lawrence. Block these routes as best you can, keep the Brits off guard with you irregulars - raid everything you can reach - and use the winter to your advantage. If you commit to a big offensive, take Albany and get the Iroquois on your side. Numbers will be against you, but send your colonial officers out to raid and burn forts and depots if you get to them. I tend to split my regulars up between Vaudreuil, Montcalm, and Levis. Vaudreuil guards Canada, where his militia recruiting ability comes into play. Montcalm guards operates along Champlain-Albany, and Levis takes the outlying settlements like Oswego or some of the northern New England settlements, or bolster defenses on whatever front he is needed. As the numbers stack against you, pull back to Canada and make it a fortress, and make them pay. Hope this helps.

Travis
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

-Thomas Paine

Ardie
Captain

Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:50 pm

Good advice from IronBrigadeYankee.

Here's some more:

- Keep your eyes on the supply...you don't have much on the frontier and also you won't have enough supply wagons. Your troops can starve/freeze to death out there.

- Be prudent when assaulting those outlying British forts/towns...you can't lose much of your Indian allies and even less of your precious Coureurs.

- Use your leaders with ambushing and partisan capabilities with max efficiency.

- Do not disturb the Iroquis...the idea is to get them on your side.

- Levis can train some of your Canadian militia into colonial regulars for increased hitting power but there's a catch: You can't replace the losses which leads to...

- pick your battles as you can't replace your regular regiments as the replacement pool of regular French companies arriving from France are few.

- Use scorched earth tactics around lakes Champlain and George if things get bad...burn every English fort and depot.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I love this campaign but there's little logical mistake as the colonial regulars (the boys in blue) draw their replacements from the same pool as do the Armee de Terre regulars (the boys in white).

iroquois
Private

fantastic

Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:54 pm

FANTASTIC...i see you love this campaign and this era...like me...
yankee said that he uses levis like a reserve, but i prefere the atack...he have the "move" capacity and is very good attacking, like he did in real life when he defeat the british in the st foy battle...

normaly i left langlade in the west (fort duquesne) he can control that area with indian help. the other colonial officers i send to the montreal-albany corridor, from there i launch destructive raids into mohawk country.

i send lery with his corps and the st francis indians and i destroy the mohicans first and in the next year i raid the new england frontier.

by the way i never try to conquer albany soon, because i have to utilize the majority of my regulars in his defence and risk a battle i can't loose.

if things are going bad i retreat my forces to oswegatchie in the west, isle aux nois in the center and guard quebec with the remnants...montcalm stay in montreal and for there he can coover all the interior lines of defence...

ps: i'm portuguese guys, so excuse my poor english!

IronBrigadeYankee
Major

Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:38 am

Definitely take advantage of Levis' ability to train troops. When I say that I use him as a reserve, it's more of a "mobile reserve" to counter the greatest threat using his quick movement.
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

-Thomas Paine

Return to “Birth of America”