Civilengineer
Civilian

Problems understanding sieges

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:56 pm

I know that this is explained, but I am having problems understanding sieges. When I move into a territory with a fort/port city(occupied), it shows whether the structure is intact or damaged. Sorry about all the questions, there are quite a few, any help would be appreciated. My questions are:

1) How does the computer determine how much damage is done to the structure each turn?

2) Do you automatically siege just by moving into the territory?

3) How do you attack a walled city(meaning the defenders get a bonus on defense, say you were time constricted and needed to attack this turn regardless of the odds), instead of waiting until the walls are breached? The reason I ask, is that I tried to attack a city with full walls and every time I put my units into the city(signifying an attack), it wouldn't let me.

4) When sieging, is it better to have your units go into an entrenched formation while waiting out the enemy? or does it just depend on the situation?

5)Do entrenched units gain defensive bonus in multiple battles? Example, I am besieging a city and militia attack me from the south and then the defenders try to attack me from the city, do I get defensive bonuses for both attacks or just 1 time?

Thank you for the help,
jason

PhilThib

Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:36 pm

I'll make quick responses:

1) this is explained in the manual, page 20, with full details. The only "damage" that can ever be done is a breach

2) no, to do so you must be in offensive posture (orange button on)

3) select the agressive posture (red button): your troops will automatically assault. Orange button will not be enough and your units will revert to siege.

2) and 3) only work if the stack leader is activated

4) It has no impact on the siege itself, but it protects the besieger against sorties and outside attacks, and if the siege lasts into the winter, it will also reduce attrition.

5) Yes, units that are entrenched benefit from the bonus against all attacks, wherever they come from (we did not detail whether a double or simple circumvallation was made :tournepas )

Hope this helps :niark:

Civilengineer
Civilian

Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:59 pm

Thank you for the help,

-jason

Hobbes

Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:43 pm

"2) and 3) only work if the stack leader is activated"

For 2) Does this mean that if a siege is underway and the leader becomes non-activated that the siege will end? Seems a little odd if that is the case.
A siege could get underway, stop, get underway and stop again which would not seem very realistic?

Pocus

Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:56 pm

no, the siege is not interrupted. You can even siege without a leader.

you can be in siege in defensive, but you won't stop the defenders from escaping, so it is generally better to be in offensive... thus if your leader become non-activated, it can poses you a problem

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Civilengineer
Civilian

Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:56 am

Another question regarding sieges(the faq helped out with a lot), if you entrench(as the attackers), can opposing armies move freely throughout the territory? Can the besieged make a break for it w/o attacking? Mabey to combine with another army in another territory?

Thank you
Jason

Pocus

Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:56 am

entrench will not change your interaction with the enemy, only your posture will. But as you don't benefit from entrenchment if on offensive...

=> if you are entrenched, there is a big chance you re in defensive ,so you won't prevent the enemy to do whatever he wants in the region.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Hobbes

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:33 am

So I may be better off starting a siege without a leader than having an inactive leader?

Pocus

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:10 am

you can still siege with a non activated leader. If you really want to intercept the enemy, you can have one troop in offensive, uncommanded, and the rest with the non active leader, commanded. When the forward picket (spelling?) is attacked, it will asks for the rest of the army to engage.

Don't put your non activated leader aside, and have all your troops in offensive, uncommanded. They will fight very badly.

Return to “Birth of America”