AndrewKurtz

Destroying a depot

Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:11 pm

I had a force that had orders to destroy a depot. When I clicked the button, it said it would take 5 days. I did this because I expected the force to be attacked and wouldn't be able to hold it.

They were attacked on day 7. While watching, I was glad since the depot would only take 5 days to destroy.

However, when the turn was over, there stood the depot.

The question is, are there things that would delay the destruction of the depot? Or is there a possibility it will take longer than the 5 days? Or is there a possibility it will fail? Or did something not work right :tournepas

Omnius
Lieutenant Colonel

A Fortnight

Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:07 pm

AndrewKurtz wrote:I had a force that had orders to destroy a depot. When I clicked the button, it said it would take 5 days. I did this because I expected the force to be attacked and wouldn't be able to hold it.

They were attacked on day 7. While watching, I was glad since the depot would only take 5 days to destroy.

However, when the turn was over, there stood the depot.

The question is, are there things that would delay the destruction of the depot? Or is there a possibility it will take longer than the 5 days? Or is there a possibility it will fail? Or did something not work right :tournepas

AndrewKurtz,
I think you missed something in that destroy depot message. It takes 15 days to build or destroy a depot, not 5. That's why on day 7 your depot destruction team didn't finish the job. You also have to be careful about having fixed naval artillery that's locked in your depot construction/destruction outfit. That will also cause your army to not be able to do the command.
Omnius

AndrewKurtz

Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:18 pm

Omnius wrote:AndrewKurtz,
I think you missed something in that destroy depot message. It takes 15 days to build or destroy a depot, not 5. That's why on day 7 your depot destruction team didn't finish the job. You also have to be careful about having fixed naval artillery that's locked in your depot construction/destruction outfit. That will also cause your army to not be able to do the command.
Omnius

Well that would certainly explain it and, as I expected, it was me :)

Omnius
Lieutenant Colonel

Oops

Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:29 pm

AndrewKurtz wrote:Well that would certainly explain it and, as I expected, it was me :)

AndrewKurtz,
Oops I made a booboo on how long it takes to destroy a depot. I got so used to building them in 15 days I mixed up the build time with the destruction time. It does take only 5 days to destroy a depot.

As to your situation I was thinking about it and wonder if your unit was out of garrison when you had it destroy the depot. If so that unit would probably react to the movement of an enemy unit into your region and that could delay the depot destruction routine enough to allow for an attack that definitely stops it. I've seen where a formation not in garrison and in a large region will reposition towards the city when an enmy formation moves in. If your unit was in garrison I would think that it would have done the trick in 5 days as it wouldn't have reacted to enemy movement into the region.

In confusing situations like that I tend to restore my save and go back to the previous turn and I try different things to see if I find some way to overcome the confusion. I learn a lot about how the game system works that way and it helps my future play.
Omnius

Omnius
Lieutenant Colonel

Weather

Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:24 pm

I also found out that weather affects depot building time. I started in depot and at the beginning of the next turn it wasn't finished. I thought I might have forgot to set it to build but when I looked at the formation building the depot it said it had 1 or 2 days left. I think mud doubles construction/destruction times.
Omnius

Return to “Birth of America”