Mazra
Conscript

No Fort Knox

Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:15 pm

Hi Everyone,

I am new to BOA. What a great game. I am sorry I did not discover this sooner. For many years I looked for a good PC game for the American Revolution at a strategic level and could not find one. For the past year or so, I did not even bother to look. And now, wa la, a vast, richly detailed game of strategy covering the entire American Revolution and French and Indian War; and its been out a year! I am in grognard heaven.

The problem is that I have now started three BOA full 1775 scenarios and can not seem to keep Henry Knox alive. He died within a turn or two in the first two games. Both trying to move those seemingly useless bulky guns to link up with Washington. In the last game, I tried to move Knox north to Montreal, to link up with Arnold, for a hopeful siege on Quebec. Dead again, along with a large rebel force near Monreal. Bummer! I did manage to keep him alive to see the Declaration of Independence this last time but little else. I don't think he gets a fort named after him if he does not live to be Secretary of War.

I had a similar problem with Nathaniel Greene, dying quickly in the first two games while ariving on the board in the midst of red coats. In the last game, after retaking Boston, I had better luck getting Greene to Washington's army, and then a solo move to get him in command of an Army in Virginia shortly after the immortal signing. Too bad I am abandoning this game. I think Greene would have had better success than he had in 1780 to 1782.

Any tips would be appreciated. Even Washington needed his advisors.

Down with the British!!! :fleb: (Just kidding!)

Thanks,

Mazra

BTW-Being even more a fan of the American Civil War I can't wait to put more memory in my PC and get a copy of the new release. This Atlanta native is very excited.

JD63
Conscript

Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:47 pm

Review the details of the battles that killed Knox(s).Was he severly outnumbered?Did he have retreat routes (ie adjacent,controlled regions)?what were his orders (all out assault)? I've found he and his guns(which are useful) can survive. Avoid major battles with the Brit's early on and live to fight another day. Just some thoughts.

Mazra
Conscript

Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:04 am

JD63 wrote:Review the details of the battles that killed Knox(s).Was he severly outnumbered?Did he have retreat routes (ie adjacent,controlled regions)?what were his orders (all out assault)? I've found he and his guns(which are useful) can survive. Avoid major battles with the Brit's early on and live to fight another day. Just some thoughts.

Thanks for the input. Yeah! In the first two games Knox entered the game next to or near sizable Brit armies. Knox was in defense mode on both of these defeats. In the third, a large Brit army intercepted him with a large rebel force just south of Montreal. Unfortunatly, Knox was in attack mode with Morgan and five other rebel units. They were not in full assault mode. A large new brit army showed up from the St. Lawrence and slaughtered them. Fog of war and such...

Actually, now in my fourth game, Knox is still alive and with Arnold mopping up Brit garrisons throughout New England. Washington is in Pennsylvania trying to avoid the Brits big armies. And I am building a big army for Greene in Virginia. Things are going much better! I seem to remember Washington had a pretty rough start too. ;)

If I can get a victory here, I will play the Brits next and put down this pointless rebellion.

Cheery O,

Mazra

Jagger
AGEod Grognard

Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:38 pm

As the Americans, it is very tough through July 76. It usually gets a little easier after that. And if you survive till the French arrive, the Brits better watch out.

As Jeff states, your objective in the first two years is to survive. Avoid large Brits armies in New England at all costs. If you fight, make sure you are attacking small Brit detachments. It is OK to lose major cities but it is best not to lose major armies. Try to keep control of at least one strategic city in each region. If you lose all of them, regroup and try to capture one regional strategic city that is weakly held.

In the South, fight hard. You can win early in the game with a bit a luck. Go back to guerilla warfare if the Brits put large numbers of troops in the South.

Understand and use detection to your benefit as the Americans. Small two regiment units have very good hide values. If the Brits can't see you, you can concentrate a number of small detachments in unlikely locations to launch surprise guerilla attacks at small garrisons with a little luck. You can also evade counter-attacks much easier.

And if all else fails, I have a mod which I should be putting out within about a week which should make it a bit easier for the Americans.

Mazra
Conscript

Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:58 am

Hi Jagger,

Thanks for your input. I can see the wisdom in your advice. I am so excited about this game. I played it almost all day Saturday well into the night. I haven't done that since Civ IV was released. In many ways, I like this game better. Unfortunately, I have not been able to play since Saturday.

The strategy is intense. The best I've seen in a long time. I am well into 1777 now. Knox is still alive (amazingly) with Gates and Arnold hitting small Brit forces. Greene is now in command of a large rebel army at Camden. And Washington is pulverizing small garrisons in the mid-Atlantic states. The problem now is attritrion in Washington army. I am trying to rest the army. I still hold Philadelphia, Charleston and Boston. Cornwalis has a huge army in Savannah, but is not moving it, and the same with Howe in NYC.

I know a fair amount of the history of the American Revolution and the attention to detail an accuracy to the actual conflict is amazing. I love a game that teaches. And this one does so.

I am truly excited about getting a copy of the American Civil War. I may even know a little more of that history. I used to play many games of the Civil War board game put out by Victory games (bought out by Avalon Hill). In many ways, that game was similar to Birth of America with its excellent use of generalship as a key component. I am sure the American Civil War will be much like the Victory Games product. This truly makes me excited, because the Civil War, maybe even more so than the American Revolution, henged completely on the quality of the generals. The South at one brief point came close to victory on the strength of their leadership. If the North had similar quality early in the war, then Richmond would have fallen in 1862, and Lee would likely never have had the opportunity to lead men in the fields of Battle. Likewise, if Jackson does not die after Chancelorsville, then Gettysburg becomes a different battle, with Jackson, being more agressive than Ewell, siezing the high ground on day one.

I know this is like a novellete, but like I said at the beginning, I am excited.

Got to go. Maybe I can see our grande French brothers come to our aid.

Au revoir et bonne nuit!

Mazra

Jagger
AGEod Grognard

Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:30 am

The strategy is intense. The best I've seen in a long time. I am well into 1777 now. Knox is still alive (amazingly) with Gates and Arnold hitting small Brit forces. Greene is now in command of a large rebel army at Camden. And Washington is pulverizing small garrisons in the mid-Atlantic states. The problem now is attritrion in Washington army. I am trying to rest the army. I still hold Philadelphia, Charleston and Boston. Cornwalis has a huge army in Savannah, but is not moving it, and the same with Howe in NYC.

It is a very good game! And rest is good from time to time. Supply depots and forts help with resting. You can build depots with 2 supply wagons and they produce 20 levels worth of supply. Makes resting, refitting and supply much faster. Forts provide both extrea resupply ability and increased defensive benefits at a cost of 1 artillery and 1 supply. Supplied units don't suffer attrition unless in harsh weather.

Against the AI, good as it may be, you may not need depots and forts so much. But wait till you play a PBEM against a human. Then not only will you need forts and depots, you will be hard pressed to hold on to them as the Americans. It is a very challenging and fun game.

Mazra
Conscript

Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:30 am

Hi Jagger,

Thanks again for more good tips. I may use up a couple of Washington's wagons very soon. This game is very rich and deep. It is a good challenge without the AI needing to cheat. The game designer deserves a hearty thanks for a job very well done.

My wife and I have no plans for the fourth of July holiday. This may be the best and most meaningful fourth of July ever. Guess what I will be doing most of the day! :D

Have a Happy Fourth! It may come across as arrogant, but all who love freedom and democratic principles throughout the world should celebrate this day. Of course, the 14th of July is a good day to celebrate too. :)

Mazra

Return to “Birth of America”