IronBrigadeYankee
Major

Dunmore's Ethiopians

Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:50 pm

I don't want to sound like a nitpicker, but is there any way to change the sprite for Dunmore's Ethiopians to an African American man, seeing as how they were recruited among freed slaves?
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

-Thomas Paine

[FS] Feltan
Sergeant

Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:22 pm

IronBrigadeYankee wrote:I don't want to sound like a nitpicker, but is there any way to change the sprite for Dunmore's Ethiopians to an African American man, seeing as how they were recruited among freed slaves?

There weren't necessarily free prior to joining.

Dunmore, the loyalist Governor of Virginia, offered freedom to slaves who came to the aid of the King. He did this, in part, to punish and rebuke the large Virginia land (and slave) holders who were in rebellion -- among whom were Washington and Jefferson.

The history surrounding this unit is rather sad too....beat up at the battle of Great Bridge, they would later be ravaged by disease aboard ship with Dunmore. In the end, the unit disbanded with only a handful of the original 300 or so members.

Regards,
Feltan
"Fishcakes" the other F-word.

[FS] is the tag for the Mighty Free Soldiers on-line gaming clan. Visit at http://www.freesoldiers.net

IronBrigadeYankee
Major

Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:28 pm

Yeah, the history of the unit was very tragic, but i was pleased to see them make an appearence in the game. I was familiar with the history of the unit, but I was rather suprised to see them represented by a sprite of a white guy :confused:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

-Thomas Paine

PhilThib

Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:34 pm

We'll see if we can make a sprite for them :coeurs:

Could you submit some pictures, drawing or any usable source ?

IronBrigadeYankee
Major

Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:13 pm

I can't find any illustrations of the uniform, but from what i understand it was similar to what militia would wear but with sashes that read "Liberty to Slaves" across the front

-Thomas Paine

Sandra

Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:33 am

I hope you'll enjoy this one... ;) (Thanks PhilThib for the photo)

IronBrigadeYankee
Major

Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:53 am

That's really awesome! You guys continue to amaze me with both your attention to your customers and your talent :coeurs:

Thanks to PhilThib for the pics!

-Thomas Paine

Sandra

Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:15 am

I found the painting and a lot of informations here :

http://collections.ic.gc.ca/BlackLoyalists/story/revolution/ethiopia.htm

:feu:

Le Ricain

Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:41 pm

It is good that the role of loyalist Afro-Americans has been recognised.

What about the role played by Afro-Americans who volunteered for service with the American army? The first black regiment raised was the 1st Rhode Island in August 1778. This unit should not be confused with the 1st RI which appears in Jan '76 with General Green. That unit's troops were transfered to the 2nd RI and the 1st RI was used to recruit black, mixed race and Indian troops. The 1st RI served throughout the war including Yorktown. Oddly enough the 1st RI's only commander was Nicholas Green, cousin to the more famous General green.

For BoA, the unit should be a continental regiment as the men enlisted for at least 3 years and most for the duration of the war.

Would it possible to have this unit properly sprited? A good picture of th eunit can be found at:

[url=ancientgreece-earlyamerica.com/html/1st_rhode_island.htm]ancientgreece-earlyamerica.com/html/1st_rhode_island.htm[/url]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'Nous voilà, Lafayette'

Colonel C.E. Stanton, aide to A.E.F. commander John 'Black Jack' Pershing, upon the landing of the first US troops in France 1917

Return to “Birth of America”