Stwa
Colonel

I am still playing BoA

Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:20 am

I hope everyone has a good Xmas.

I am still playing BoA every now and then. I guess as it turned out, this was the only Ageod game I needed. I really like the period.

I get all sorts of crazy stuff happen in these games. For instance, I recently started the 1776 Campaign, and Howe's army at Boston boarded the fleet and set sail for some where. I wasn't sure where (probably New York).

I moved Washington's Army to Hartford to wait and see, and then a new British Army landed at Boston (again). Eventually this army seperated into two groups and I sent Washington's Army moving from Hartford to Boston ASAP, with the red assualt posture enabled, and this was the result.

[ATTACH]25978[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]25979[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]25980[/ATTACH]

Taillebois
General of the Army

Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:40 am

Me too. playing 1.12.

Stwa
Colonel

Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:52 am

OK,

I am still playing BoA.

I have completed a goodly number of Civil War Scenarios now. I got the reinforcement script finished back in January, that each scenario uses. Now I am working in the naval forces. You would be shocked how much fun these are.

This is 1861 Bull Run Campaign. I named the campaigns after the battles. It starts May 1861 and can last until December 1862 unless there is sudden death. The objectives are Richmond, and Washington DC. As the South, you really can't make a play on Wasington, because you are always on the defensive. Each side gets a continual month to month stream of new recruits and generals, so there are plenty of battles. The early campaigns are:

1861 Bull Run
1862 Antietam
1862 Bull Run
1863 Gettysburg

Stwa
Colonel

Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:42 pm

We noticed that Boa worked (perhaps perectly) on a Win 8 OS, without having to use Compatability Mode. Does anyone have information on older Ageod titles using this OS?

Owl
Major

Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:20 pm

The oldest one I tried, Napoleon's Campaigns, works on Windows 8.1, and I have not made negative experiences with RUS, AJE or PoN either.

Stwa
Colonel

Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:14 pm

Well if BoA (and I mean v 1.12a which is DX 8) works on Win 8, and it would seem that is does, I can forsee another 5 years or more with this game system (BoA).

In the end, BoA was a very solid system with a solid design. I am in my seventh year of messin with this game, at is has been a real blast. Even with 750 or so Regions, there is plenty of complexity.

Thanks to the Phil's.

Moriety
Major

Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:56 am

I too loved the original,

I was already annoyed with things like the 8 month winters in BOA so expected better in BOAII.
The British are set to lose was another thing, just balance it more and be honest with real history.
In BOA I actually edited real winters, currently playing all the major scenarios I cannot be bothered. All major scenarios's are a waste of my time.
AGEOD has got lazy with known inbalances, an obsession with snow, and I'm getting old and grumpy.
"Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time you've got" Art Buchwald, U.S. Journalist and humourist

Stwa
Colonel

Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:19 am

Hmmm...

There was alot of stuff that needed to be modified in original BoA. There are a number of BoA threads I started in the forum enumerating the various changes. I was willing to make these modifications, because I thought modding to be a hobby. I use BoA v 1.12a. I never purchased another Ageod game, because I new BoA would occupy most of my spare time, and I knew that Ageod policy (at that time) was to rush the games out the door.

Moriety
Major

Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:46 am

A few key points well made Stwa,
AGEOD was clearly told at the time exactly what the problems were by their customers. The fact that BOAII felt like an exact replay of BOA, but this time with the added thrill of "the fort/depot has bean destroyed!" instilled no confidence. How exactly is the player meant to rejoice at this news. Just nonsense.
I was hoping for a slightly more historical angle, but got junk instead.

Toby
"Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time you've got" Art Buchwald, U.S. Journalist and humourist

Taillebois
General of the Army

Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:10 pm

Moriety wrote:A few key points well made Stwa,
AGEOD was clearly told at the time exactly what the problems were by their customers. The fact that BOAII felt like an exact replay of BOA, but this time with the added thrill of "the fort/depot has bean destroyed!" instilled no confidence. How exactly is the player meant to rejoice at this news. Just nonsense.
I was hoping for a slightly more historical angle, but got junk instead.

Toby

You seem to be rubbishing AGEOD today Moriety. I realise the weather was bad in London today, did you get hit by a falling tree?

Stwa
Colonel

Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:47 am

Taillebois wrote:You seem to be rubbishing AGEOD today Moriety. I realise the weather was bad in London today, did you get hit by a falling tree?

You seem to be rubbishing Moriety.

As a general rule, or a matter of rote, I suggest to all potential users, research every game before purchasing a license and always postpone said purchases until several years after the initial release of the game, devlopers and producers notwithstanding.

HattoriHanzo
Private

Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:52 pm

Hello, I'm a newby in this forum and I'm in the process of starting a PBEM play at the excellent Birth of America with a friend of mine.

However, we are doubtful about the version to use.. :confused:

it seems that there are problems with the last patch (1.13): can someone give us some advice about to which version is better to use ?

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:29 pm

I didn't really understand what's the better..
Read this until the end of the thread,
http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?6960-gt-BOA-Legacy-Patch-1-13-lt&p=213065&viewfull=1#post213065
and follow the link of the quote in my last post in it.

HattoriHanzo
Private

Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:02 pm

thank you ERISS !

I read all the messages of the thread (plus the various links) and still I'm dubious.. :confused:

probably we will begin our first play with 1.12a patch that seem easier to manage.

but I'm very curious to see if really 1.13d has so many problems and probably we will do a second play with it, just to compare.

do you know if exist a list of all the changes to the original program for each patch ?

Return to “Birth of America”