benpark
Sergeant

Bateaux usage

Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:34 pm

I'm wondering what the best use of the Bateaux fleets is? I find myself not using them at this point, but I know I'm missing something. What are people doing with these boats?

PhilThib

Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:05 pm

The key use is rather simple: in Campaign 55, take an army in NYC and send it by land to Albany...then take the same army, load it on the Hudson bateaux, to Albany again...

tip: count days !! :sourcil:

Feralkoala
Private

Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:52 pm

As Phillippe noted, bateaux were used along rivers and should speed progress quite a bit.

Korrigan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:55 pm

IMHO, I think they will reach their real potential when you'll be able to disembark your troops the same turn that they embarked.

Actually it is not possible, but Pocus has written the team is thinking about changing the game design on this point.

Feralkoala
Private

Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:00 am

Yes, it seems that there should be just a delay or MP cost for loading/unloading. Hopefully the engine can do that adjustment with little problem.

D.J. Hawkman
Private

Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:39 am

Quick question....How do i load the ships again?????? :nuts: :bonk:
I read the Man....and didn't see it..... :8o:

pasternakski
Colonel

Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:19 am

D.J. Hawkman wrote:Quick question....How do i load the ships again?????? :nuts: :bonk:
I read the Man....and didn't see it..... :8o:

Don't feel bad, dude, it ain't there. What works for me is to drag and drop the unit or units I want to transport onto the bateaux' tab, which is always the one farthest to the left on the present forces display (sticking out above the individual units display you get when you click on the region). It's the same as merging different forces in the same region.

Dgold

Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:28 am

Can Bateux be moved from the St Lawence River at Montreal via the other river south to Lake Champlain? I tried this in the 1755 scenario as the French - I was not allowed.

D.J. Hawkman
Private

Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:29 am

pasternakski wrote:Don't feel bad, dude, it ain't there. What works for me is to drag and drop the unit or units I want to transport onto the bateaux' tab, which is always the one farthest to the left on the present forces display (sticking out above the individual units display you get when you click on the region). It's the same as merging different forces in the same region.

THANKS!!!!!! :sourcil:

PhilThib

Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:55 am

Dgold wrote:Can Bateux be moved from the St Lawence River at Montreal via the other river south to Lake Champlain? I tried this in the 1755 scenario as the French - I was not allowed.

Nope, it is not allowed. What you mention is, in reality, the river Richelieu connecting the St Lawrence with the Champlain...but, as in reality, there are rapids at Chambly that made navigation impossible and required a portage... hence we did not allow the connection.

The trick is to disembark at Chambly and then board from here onto the Champlain ships (if any)... this will go a bit more smoothly when we have modified the code to allow embarking / disembarking in the same turn :indien:

D.J. Hawkman
Private

Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:13 pm

Are Bateux..Factored in when Seigeing a Fort? I was playing FIW Campgain....and was Ready to take Fort Oswego :king: ...I placed my Bateux on full assault. Now my question is...did it help???? Say Bombarding the Fort.
Or is it strictly Blockadeing duty?

Pocus

Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:42 pm

for now they can only blockade, we will add the code part dealing with bombarding when more urgent matters are fixed.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Reiryc

Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:28 pm

Pocus wrote:for now they can only blockade, we will add the code part dealing with bombarding when more urgent matters are fixed.

I noticed that my bateaux fired on land units when they entered my province.

I had taken savanah from the english a couple turns earlier. When I took the city, I captured some bateaux. Didn't examine them as I wasn't that concerned. Now I did set all of my troops to defend setting but didn't pay attention to my bateaux (does this mean boats?). The bateaux were set to assault stance.

When the english showed up in the province, a fight was started by the boats but all my land units participated. Fortunately I won each time this happened.

Are they supposed to fire on land units like that to start a fight?

Pocus

Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:39 pm

thats strange, they are not supposed to fight like that (unless directly targeted by an enemy), do you have the savegame around?

I checked with Carolina76 (the one of 1.01 is buggy though), and it worked well: the english besieged Savannah (one garnison and a bateau that I put in offensive) and the battle didnt happen, as expected.

Next turn I switched the english to assault, the battle happened and only the american milicia showed on the battle report.

bateau = boat yes, its an old french word used in the wargame 1776 to give some flavor to the name :)

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Reiryc

Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:42 pm

I don't have a save game of it, sorry.

I just kept on playing chalking it up to a feature... :siffle:

Thanks for the bateaux translation. :niark:

Pulaski
Conscript

Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:27 pm

How about the US batteaux in the Greene 1780 (I think, I'm writting from work)scenario?
They are all the way North in the the Dan River, and I can deterime no actual use for them. They can move 1 river segment West and 1 East but that seems to be it. I thought they might have something to do with ferrying troops across the river but everything North of the Dan River is not playable in the scenario.

PhilThib

Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:00 pm

Honestly, they are almost useless...just for the fun indeed :fleb:

Pulaski
Conscript

Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:23 pm

Well at least I used them to their full potential. :bonk:

Return to “Birth of America”