runyan99

French Intervention

Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:44 pm

The rules say that for each region totally controlled by the British in the 1775 campaign, the chance of French Intervention is reduced by 15%.

But, how often is this check made? Every month? Once a year? What is the base chance of the French declaring war? 50%? 100%?

In other words, can the British player realistically try to keep the French out of the war by controlling a few regions?

PhilThib

Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:34 am

The check is made every quarter from 1778 onwards. The base chance for French intervention is 15% and increase by this amount every quarter, until it reaches 75%.
On the other hand, the sole control of a district by Britiain reduces this chance by 15%...and there are 4 valid districts (New England, Middle States, South Central and Deep South) for that check...

So as you can see, the Brits may pretty much delay the French entry, if not cancel it altogether at least till 1779.. then, it's pure luck (but if the Brits get a -15%*4= -60% out of a max 75%, they have almost won the war.... :niark: )

Leibst

Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:29 am

Every quarter? this means that the first check is in January 1778?

PhilThib

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:46 am

The first check will come in AFTER France declares War, which is in February 78... in other words the fist check takes place at end-of-March / beginning April :cwboy:

Leibst

Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:11 pm

And where could i see the amount of french troops that could arrive?
do they came in four separate months? are there checks for every group?

PhilThib

Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:25 pm

The information is not available in the game for the time being (as you have no clue as to how many regiments the Brits will send). This is an engine (and design) limitation.

The forces sent by the French are the following :

Leibst

Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:00 am

Really thanks for the info Philip!

I'm playing as american a pbem game in the 1775 scenario, the full campaign.
This is my second game against human and my feelings are that is really dificult to win with the Rebels. Do you have another opinion? I have a lot of problems with the going home of December, specially when 5 continental regiments or more leave, is this really historical? does any patch correct this?

PhilThib

Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:34 am

The Continentals going home in the winter after their one-year enlistment is over is a fact. The trick is to keep as many of them with Washington, because he will first greatly reduce the dismissal rate and, second, train the continentals in their 'trained' version, which does not go home anymore :indien:

To win with the rebels, you must play hit and run tactics all the time, till you receive the French. Make sure the British never fully control a grand region, so you can have a chance the French show up.

Avoid battles unless you have a clear superiority, either in leaders or in numbers, and hassle the redcoats by sneaking behind their lines... don't play it front warfare, or you are doomed...

Leibst

Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:10 pm

Ok, thanks again Philip,

I will try this tactic but i fear is very late. I'm in December 77 and only have three armies, two of them huge but i lack of cities, and thats why i expect poor reinforcements, being more what i lose in the end of the enlistement that the reinforcements. Thats why i asked you about the French intervention.

Does the game works in the same way when you play against human than when you play against the IA when it treats the end-year enlistement?
In other words playing against IA is easier for a unit to leave at the end of the year?

Is a good tactic having small groups of units together 2 or 3 instead a great army? British used to garrison heavily some cities, in other areas with less garrison they have a big army, how can i face this? and because of this occupation he has also the tories reinforcement.

PhilThib

Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:12 pm

Of course playing versus a human is much harder :sourcil: but otherwise the rules are exactly the same...no cheating or AI boost in any way.

The best tactic is indeed small groups, provided you avoid battle except against the smallest British garrisons, by sneaking in from behind (use poor terrain such as swamps).

Keep one large army with most regulars and Washington as a force in waiting, ready to strike against medium size forces of the enemy. The group can keep hovering like in history in the Catskills / Hudson region... Threaten NYC, this is the city the Brits cannot afford to lose...

Another medium-large army can be a possibility, either in the Champlain or in Virginia.

Also quickly setup a task force with speedy units (Light inf) and fast-moving / ranger leaders to strike west...this will annoy the British and buy you some time...

IMHO, the British lost the war because of mere incompetence of their leadership... a competent human player will not make the same mistakes...so really playing the American side is a tough challenge...

:indien:

Leibst

Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:04 am

Its now December 77, lots of Continentals went home.
Washington is besieged in Hillsboro with my best army.

Is there any way of leaving Hillsboro without fight?
and with fight?

Its possible to have reinforcements in a besieged city?

I Hope February comes soon and the French with it. :innocent:

I have the sensation of having played bad from the beggining of the game. :bonk:

PhilThib

Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:26 am

You should not stay besieged, or you'll lose your army.

Use a combination of bad weather and Washington's special ability (skirmisher) to run out of Hillsboro (select offensive and a destination away)...at worst you'll get stuck for 2 days of battle, probably less (depends who is in front of you)...

In Feburary, you'll get new reinforcements (militias and CA's), and France shall enter the war (provided you have not lost one grand region 100% already)...the French fleet and forces should show up in Buzzard Bay a few months later...plan accordingly (the best is to strike in the British rear with a combination of fast-moving militias)

Against the British, I also have the same impression...would have felt better back in the XVIIIth century... :sourcil:

Leibst

Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:14 pm

I didn't ordered Washington to move inside Hillsboro, he moved into the town after lose a small battle. :tournepas

If I do what you say, i will face a superior a better trained army under the orders of Clinton. Can i expect any chance of survive? :8o:

The better i can do with a French army is then attack the garrisons in the coast? normally there are one regiment with some artillery and perhaps supplies.
At least until i can merge the French army with the Continental army... :indien:

anarchyintheuk
Lieutenant

Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:49 pm

You have a good chance of survival, though not without casualties. The skirmisher skill allows Washington a 50/50 chance (just guessing here) to run away after the 1st or 2nd day if he has less than equal numbers of troops. If he has numerical superiority he'll generally try to stand and fight. In any event, it's better odds than sitting in a siege.

Leibst

Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:50 am

I have seen a lot of times better results in a battle when i choose attack and the enemy too than when i choose defend and the enemy attack. Dont you?

Pocus

Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:40 am

Leibstandarte wrote:I didn't ordered Washington to move inside Hillsboro, he moved into the town after lose a small battle. :tournepas

as per the last patch, you should only retreat into the city of the region you are in if the special order 'enter city as soon as possible' is activated. If you think it did not behave like that, you can send me your saved game: support@ageod.com

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Leibst

Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:01 am

hehe, i have not instaled yet the last patch :siffle: , but i will when finish the game.

Xaloc
General of the Army

Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:51 pm

just a curiosity about French intervention. I've played about 10 campaigns as the American side and I've never received more troops after the first group in any game. The first troops arrive sometime in 1778, but that's all for me :8o: . (I usually finnish the'75 campaign during 1781). :sourcil:

just a fatal coincidence?

Pocus

Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:04 am

the first three reiforcements always arrived, even in 1.10, only the 4th and 5th were buggy (but they were small). Perhaps you have some very bad luck, as the 2nd expedition can arrives 6 months after the first, with a 20% chance each turn... so it would mean you always failed the roll.

do you have one of these games around?

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Xaloc
General of the Army

Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:13 pm

Pocus wrote:the first three reiforcements always arrived, even in 1.10, only the 4th and 5th were buggy (but they were small). Perhaps you have some very bad luck, as the 2nd expedition can arrives 6 months after the first, with a 20% chance each turn... so it would mean you always failed the roll.

do you have one of these games around?

Sorry, Pocus, but I deleted all the files of these games, I dont't like to have so many files of saved games, but I want to play another campaing as the Americans with the new patch, so if the French don't send anymore expeditions after the first one, I'll send you the file. But I'm afraid that it will be a matter of bad luck, remember me don't go to Las Vegas! :bonk:

I'm thinking when I saw the whole list of French reinforcements in this thread... what a surprise for me to see all these troops!! :tournepas

Return to “Birth of America”