rpommier
Civilian

Incorrect serial number for retail?

Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:35 pm

I just purchased BOA yesterday for play on my laptop w/vista. After finally figuring out how to get the serial number entered, I discovered it is wrong. I have tried it with hyphens and with underscores. How can I get some help?

vr,
Roderick

Rafiki

Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:49 pm

Hi rpommier; sorry to hear you're having problems.

Did you receive the serial key electronically? If so, it should be possible to copy-paste it into the AGE settings when asked for.
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

rpommier
Civilian

Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:12 am

I bought a retail box copy with the serial number on the CD jacket. Should I PM you the serial code?

vr,
Roderick

Rafiki

Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:40 am

I think it would be better if you sent it to support@ageod.com (referring to this thread), since I have no way of verifying the serial code myself.
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE

Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Korrigan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:33 am

Yes, this is a known issue with some boxes versions. Some retailers messed with the serials.

Just mail us the serial as you can figure it out with the name of the distributor (Strategy first, nobilis, etc.) and we'll send you the correct one.

Cheers,

Korrigan
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." Mark Twain

hotrod1525
Civilian

Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:51 pm

I also purchased the game at target and when I loaded the game, I just ignored the section about the serial # and was able get right in. Before that window comes up, the game already put the icon on your desktop. Just try the icon.

jwfrede
Civilian

BOA won't run on laptop w vista

Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:45 am

I just bought the game at target to install on a laptop running vista. I installed and then uninstalled. I may have put in a serial number the first time but it never asked for a serial number the second time. When I attempt to run it says I havent installed the serial number correctly.

PhilThib

Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:20 am

If you have uninstalled the game, then you should re-enter the serial upon a fresh installation.

As a safeguard and usual precaution, when you uninstall, make sure the directory has been fully and properly removed (there might be some files remaining, this happens when players do saves or install mods ;) )

jwfrede
Civilian

Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:13 pm

I uninstalled BOA and erased the directory. Then installed again and changed the name of the directory from the default. The game installed and never asked for the SN. When attempting to run I get the window with serial number not the expected lngth, etc. Then changed compatibility setting to XP and got same result.

lodilefty

Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:40 pm

jwfrede wrote:I uninstalled BOA and erased the directory. Then installed again and changed the name of the directory from the default. The game installed and never asked for the SN. When attempting to run I get the window with serial number not the expected lngth, etc. Then changed compatibility setting to XP and got same result.

Go to the "Program menu"for your BoA installation and run the "Configuration Utility".

Sometimes, Winders doesn't run it for you..... :D
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

Gray_Lensman

Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:42 am

jwfrede wrote:I uninstalled BOA and erased the directory. Then installed again and changed the name of the directory from the default. The game installed and never asked for the SN. When attempting to run I get the window with serial number not the expected lngth, etc. Then changed compatibility setting to XP and got same result.

Lodi is correct. Since the game never asked for the SN, the configuration program did not automatically run after the files were copied over and that will cause the error you get. i.e. a zero length serial number is obviously not valid.

Here's a couple screen shots of what you are looking for:

The first is the entry in the AACW Menu.

[ATTACH]5237[/ATTACH]

If the Configuration Program does not come up using the above method, you can try "direct" running the program itself by finding and double clicking on the "AGESettings.exe" file as shown below.

[ATTACH]5238[/ATTACH]

If neither method works, get back to us. It may be a Vista installation problem and we'll have to give you further instructions.
Attachments
Windows Explorer.jpg
Menu pull down.jpg

Panther-Anthro
Civilian

Cannot Enter Cd-Key or Launch Game

Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:51 pm

So, the game installs fine, but the problem for me is that it crashes whenever I try to run configuration, or the game, or age settings.

I get the following error. (0xc0000005) occurred in application at location 0x00000006. Any ideas? I'm running a Windows Vista Laptop, I bought the game from Target.

lodilefty

Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:33 pm

Things to try [in this order]:

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=11621&highlight=UAC

and never install in the default "Program Files" directory...

I created a C:\AGEOD folder, and install under that...

...and, some antivirus software blocks the configuration program.

First two fixed me up fine with Vista....
..and Avast antivirus causes me no issues...
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]

[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

Pocus

Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:42 am

AVAST is AGEOD friendly yes. I'm using it, had no virus problems since quite some time (if I had, you would get viruses in the installers!) and all the games run smoothly.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

arsan

Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:51 am

Another Avast happy user here!
4 years with it and no issues!
Ans its free!! What more can you ask?? :thumbsup:

ajewell10
Conscript

Still won't work

Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:56 pm

I have had the same "serial number" window open as others. I bought the game at Target, as well as others. I have tried everything that has been suggested. I have disabled my UAC and tried to open the "configuration utility" but even that won't open. I have deleted and reinstalled 11 times now and still cannot access the game. I am running on Vista on a laptop and just want to play the damn game before my vacation is over. This was an early Christmas gift from my wife, this kind of gift never comes from her, so I want to take advantage of it!!!!!

dooya

Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:04 pm

ajewell10 wrote:I have had the same "serial number" window open as others. I bought the game at Target, as well as others. I have tried everything that has been suggested. I have disabled my UAC and tried to open the "configuration utility" but even that won't open. I have deleted and reinstalled 11 times now and still cannot access the game. I am running on Vista on a laptop and just want to play the damn game before my vacation is over. This was an early Christmas gift from my wife, this kind of gift never comes from her, so I want to take advantage of it!!!!!
Sorry if I sound dumb to you, but although you said that you have tried all, I ask for the following:

(1) Did you try to install the game in a different folder than "Program Files"
(2) Did you shut down your anti-virus protection during installation (de-connect from the internet before doing so!)
No quote - No bullshit!

ajewell10
Conscript

Yes I have

Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:14 pm

Yes I have installed to its own file C:/AGEOD and have turned off all virus controls while I install as well as not being connected to the internet...don't worry you don't sound dumb, I am the dumb one, my games not working, yours is!

dooya

Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:17 pm

ajewell10 wrote:Yes I have installed to its own file C:/AGEOD and have turned off all virus controls while I install as well as not being connected to the internet...don't worry you don't sound dumb, I am the dumb one, my games not working, yours is!
Ok, next questions:

When you try to run the game, does it start at all? If so, does it get stuck somewhere during starting up?

When you try to run the configuration utility, does it start up?
No quote - No bullshit!

ajewell10
Conscript

No and No

Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:30 pm

I get nothing. The game displays the serial window and goes nowhere. The configuration utility just doesnt load at all!!

dooya

Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:36 pm

ajewell10 wrote:I get nothing. The game displays the serial window and goes nowhere. The configuration utility just doesnt load at all!!
The configuration utility is just the same as the "serial window".

Does the "serial window" responds at all? For instance, can you type in the serial? Does it disappear when you hit the OK-button?
No quote - No bullshit!

ajewell10
Conscript

No

Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:45 pm

Disappears when I click "ok" I cannot find any place where I am supposed to type it in.

dooya

Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:50 pm

ajewell10 wrote:Disappears when I click "ok" I cannot find any place where I am supposed to type it in.
Normally you find the possibility to switch between two pages in the upper left corner of the window. One says "Serial" and the other says "Display". On the serial page you have the possibility to insert the serial. :confused:
No quote - No bullshit!

ajewell10
Conscript

not mine

Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:58 pm

it doesn't give me that option...I will try all the suggestions yet again and check back later to see if anyone has any further ideas, like patches, or just get a new game...thanks for the help...if I get it going I will let you know...the manual looks nice at least!

lodilefty

pictures for clarity

Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:49 am

I hate describing it:

Run the configuration utility [install should, but the patch won't]
[ATTACH]5389[/ATTACH]

Then enter your serial:
[ATTACH]5390[/ATTACH]

Then click the "OK" button
Attachments
Serial2.jpg
Serial.jpg
[CENTER][/CENTER]

ajewell10
Conscript

Wow

Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:18 pm

thanks for all that, but as I said before I cannot even run the configuration utility. Every time I try nothing happens. No error message, nothing. If I could run it I would be okay by now, but for some reason my computer won't even let me run it. I have all virus blockers, spyware and UAC disabled and still when I click "configuration utility" nothing happens at all. And when the "serial" box appears I have no option to click another window. It simply says input the correct serial hyphens and all, but it gives me no place to do it. Thanks for the indepth demo, however. If and When I get to that point I will know what to do.

Primasprit

Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:14 pm

Hi ajewell10!

Sorry for the trouble. If the configuration utility don't work for you, you can try the following:
Locate the directory where you installed the game. There should be an sub-directory BOA\Settings.
Locate the file General.opt. Open it with any text editor, for example notepad. Near the end of the file there should be a field "Serial = ". Enter you serial at this place, save the file and try to start the game.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

Cheers
Norbert

ajewell10
Conscript

Still nothing

Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:33 pm

Thanks for the advice but it stil doesn't recognize my serial. Perhaps I entered it incorrectly or my serial is bad, i do not know!!!!

:bonk: :(

Pocus

Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:16 pm

Please send me a mail at pmalacher@age-studio.com and specify this thread link also.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

jte08
Civilian

Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:32 am

I'm having the same problem and tried installing it in new directory, deactivating the VISTA UAC and manually entering the serial number in the General.opt directory. Still does not work, what else could possibly be done?

Return to “Birth of America”