Thread: Does anyone still play No Greater Glory? (SSI)

PoN Tester PoN Beta Team
    AACW Beta Team

Default Does anyone still play No Greater Glory? (SSI)

I still love this game, even with those stunning EGA graphics and that pounding PC speaker support. It might not have had the military depth of some games, and it cheated, but it's still the best Civil War strategic level game out there (for now). I tried every other Civil War game that came out (Not that there were many of them), but every single one was destroyed by just pitiful AI or a horrible ruleset. I remember playing one where I sent Forrest on a :Raid" into the north. Seeing as how there wasn't a single unit detailed to stop him, the raid turned into a sweep up through Michigan and Wisconsin, then went over through Ohio and Pennsylvania before joining up with the Army of North Virginia. It was just bad.

The best feature of NGG was the option to randomize the generals. It's probably about the only reason it's still playable. It's just darn fun to have no clue how a general is. Will he move? Will he be any good? Then you finally find one who will move and wins a number of battles, transfer him to the East and Bam! He gets blindisded by a bunch of reinforcements or something in a big battle and you have to work to try and get his ranking back up. Fun fun.

Lieutenant

I have NGG for Amiga (I still have 2 Amigas: 1200 & 500). Bought the game around '94 and played it until I got sick of it. It was buggy as hell but there wasn't and still isn't anything like it. Politics (both internal & external), supply, economy, useless generals and their rank system, war in the seas, loyalty etc.

An interesting blend but way too buggy.

I hope that something similar gets done. There's a game called Revolution 76 which used the same engine as NGG did. I thing it preceded NGG though and it's buggy too.

PoN Tester PoN Beta Team
    AACW Beta Team

Yeah, I played both, and NGG was the better of the two. If not for the huge amount of options, it wouldn't still be on my hard drive. It's really amazing that nobody had attempted anything similar as an updated version. A game like that doesn't need the multi-million dollar graphics or anything. I get the feeling if anyone did it though, it would turn into micro-managing hell like so many games are now. They'd want to add in tons of new features to increase the "Depth" of the game and ruin it's nice basic simplicity.

I played it up until a couple of weeks. I bought a new computer running Windows XP and NGG won't install. I like the old TalonSoft Battleground series for specific battle simulations but NGG was my favorite for all around play.

AGE Spec Ops NCP Beta Alumnus
    AACW Beta Alumnus
    BoA Beta Alumnus

Quote Originally Posted by grayfoxx
    I played it up until a couple of weeks. I bought a new computer running Windows XP and NGG won't install. I like the old TalonSoft Battleground series for specific battle simulations but NGG was my favorite for all around play.
    Try DosBox (a DOS emulator), it should work.

Civilian

Default Yea I still play it

I mean i lost the manual to it and i only remember a few of the secuirty questions they ask you, but may i ask why, this game ends so quick? i mean i play the confederate side and after one turn it ends, i mean i assign my officers, i do all the other suppiles and troop movement, but right after i do the forigen power and peace talks with the north, they always agree on reconsilantion even tho thats not what i agreed on,

Thread Information